Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm starting to worry that the BIG 12 will get screwed in all of this.

You mean by virtue of not presently being in negotiations? Yeah, I had that thought myself...seems to me like you'd want to be negotiating right now to get the best deal. Give the networks a year for all the dust to settle after B1G & Pac deals are done and maybe they choose to go in a different direction or lowball us because they know we have fewer options than we did before.

But the usual caveat applies...I have no idea and I don't think anyone else does either. You can talk yourself into or out of anything.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
On crap channels.
CBS and NBC are each picking up one Big 10 game per week. That gives CBS 2 extra spots and NBC 1.

The Big 12's package will look like a junior version of the Big 10's. A bunch of different media partners and a variety of time slots. Nothing wrong with ESPN2 and FS1.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

B1G right now:

anderson-paak.gif

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, I'm not liking this so far. It's one thing for the B1G to have Fox, but to also have CBS and NBC on board seems like bad news for the Big 12 and Pac 12.
I think it might depend a bit on their full saturday plans. Nbc had been sniffing at the big12 to have games before/after ND to build viewership. Maybe B1G deal takes care of that for them, but would CBS want a 2nd or 3rd game around their B1G game?

So many ways it could go.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Dude you are taking things WAAAAYYY too personal. Chill out a bit. Not a single person on here truly knows what's going to happen whether you agree with them or not. Anyone at all (no matter what their thoughts and ideas are) doesn't have any inside information or any clue what will actually happen.

Relax people.
Exactly! People give an opinion and it's "dumb" or they get hammered on. Nothing in this world is too crazy or off the table in my opinion. If someone said three years ago that OU and TX are leaving to join the S$C and USC and UCLA announce the next year they are going to the B1G, they would have been kicked off the board. Now look what happened.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I think you're right on viewership. But the value to streamers goes beyond what we think of as the value-generators for typical TV. Streamers should be able to get more value out of a single viewer because that viewer means a dedicated subscription, with advertising that is more personalized (meaning that it's more valuable to advertisers), and some likelihood that the subscriber will use the service outside of just watching sports.

For instance, I don't have Amazon Prime right now. But if Amazon Prime Video had the Big 12's Tier 3 rights, I'd probably subscribe for at least the football and basketball seasons. In that time, chances are that I'd make more purchases on Amazon than I do right now because of the non-streaming benefits.
I think you're on the right track. Streaming has the ability to highly target ads to the viewers, just like the what you see online.

Streaming is no longer a fringe option for technological early adapters, it's very mainstream. Just for a baseline, there are a little over 122m households in the US. About 76m households in the US have a cable subscription (this includes streaming options like Hulu +). 95m households have at least one subscription to a streaming service. 76.6m households have an Amazon Prime subscription. If anything, moving games off of channels like FS1 and onto platforms like Amazon Prime might make games more available to more people.

Reactions: MJ271

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I see two ways things play out after the B1G’s cold shoulder to ESPN:

#1, ESPN doesn’t want Pac-12 rights. That would be the end of the Pac-12.

#2, ESPN buys all or nearly all of Pac-12 rights (with a streaming service involved maybe). That could cut off realignment but it also leaves the Big 12 in a good position.

Expanding on #2, the Big 12 is the only league left that can give CBS or FOX multiple games on a Saturday. The Big 12 also might be able to be the only league with a foot in both of the FOX and ESPN camps. Or it could go all in with FOX, and really make a stark B1G/B12 Team FOX against SEC/ACC/Pac-12 Team ESPN split.

And on #1, it just makes clear that ESPN holds the cards. If it doesn’t want the Pac-12 to exist, it can kill that league and drag schools to the Big 12 - but it likely would only do this if it was going to get those Big 12 rights.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I see two ways things play out after the B1G’s cold shoulder to ESPN:

#1, ESPN doesn’t want Pac-12 rights. That would be the end of the Pac-12.

#2, ESPN buys all or nearly all of Pac-12 rights (with a streaming service involved maybe). That could cut off realignment but it also leaves the Big 12 in a good position.

Expanding on #2, the Big 12 is the only league left that can give CBS or FOX multiple games on a Saturday. The Big 12 also might be able to be the only league with a foot in both of the FOX and ESPN camps. Or it could go all in with FOX, and really make a stark B1G/B12 Team FOX against SEC/ACC/Pac-12 Team ESPN split.

And on #1, it just makes clear that ESPN holds the cards. If it doesn’t want the Pac-12 to exist, it can kill that league and drag schools to the Big 12 - but it likely would only do this if it was going to get those Big 12 rights.

Regarding the bolded part...couldn't the reverse also theoretically be true? ESPN wants to lock all remaining content down in one fell swoop, so they engineer some kind of merger or moving some/all of the Big 12 to the Pac?

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I am the opposite, there isn't enough football content to feed 3 networks.
I think NBC, CBS, and Fox, will look to augment programming with Big 12.

Big 12 was never going to be the primary on Fox or ESPN.

Fox has already said they are not talking to the PAC 12, so I guess they could settle on 1 conference while ESPN has 3 (if they get PAC 12) or they already are looking at the Big 12

Some games might end up on Peacock, or Paramount network, but I think Big 12 will get a good deal.

Another option would be ESPN squeezing the PAC 10 down to 8 or 6 and they pay 1 contract with the remaining PAC 12 and Big 12. It could cost less for ESPN but overall schools get more $$

Given that PAC 12 is first, it kind of marginalizes the OSU's and WSU's of the world, and ESPN knows this.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
This is coming down to Fox and ESPN. ESPN is finding out they no longer have B1G. Big 12 has a nice inventory of games and the basketball is the best. Good time zones. There are competitors out there for that inventory. ESPN really can not afford to miss out.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Agree. However, As I’ve said from the beginning of the OuT announcement, Our saving grace (near term) is that ESPN wants OuT in the SEC asap, and will need to overpay us to make it happen. Essentially funding the OuT buyout.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
B12 still has FOX, where we could end up getting the 3:30 or primetime slot. But after that, if CBS or NBC don’t want more content (CBS could decide to go for 1 more CFB game on Saturdays, either early or late), we’re gonna be relegated to ESPN2, U, +, and FS1.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
B12 still has FOX, where we could end up getting the 3:30 or primetime slot. But after that, if CBS or NBC don’t want more content (CBS could decide to go for 1 more CFB game on Saturdays, either early or late), we’re gonna be relegated to ESPN2, U, +, and FS1.
Football/futbol double-header Saturday on Telemundo....they have about 90 OTA affiliates...

TOUCH-DDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN!!

• Haha
Reactions: besserheimerphat

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron