Chris Taylor FB thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Some great stuff here for those of you on FB and can grab the link. Enjoy!

I checked ID’s at a bar called the Peanut Tree in Ames in the summer of 1972 (?). Chris was the bouncer. Needless to say we had little trouble. One night a guy was beating on the pinball machine. Chris tapped him in the shoulder. The guy spun around like he was looking for trouble. Chris picked him up under the arm pits and held him off the floor and told him to stop it. No more problems.
Chris was a good guy. Drank beer from a pitcher - it looked like a glass in his hand.
May not be the type of stories you are looking for.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I checked ID’s at a bar called the Peanut Tree in Ames in the summer of 1972 (?). Chris was the bouncer. Needless to say we had little trouble. One night a guy was beating on the pinball machine. Chris tapped him in the shoulder. The guy spun around like he was looking for trouble. Chris picked him up under the arm pits and held him off the floor and told him to stop it. No more problems.
Chris was a good guy. Drank beer from a pitcher - it looked like a glass in his hand.
May not be the type of stories you are looking for.
Chris was around before my time, but my dad and uncle would bring this up when talking about him.

I've also heard that he was really nice and a gentle giant.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and dahl66

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I checked ID’s at a bar called the Peanut Tree in Ames in the summer of 1972 (?). Chris was the bouncer....
Chris was a good guy. Drank beer from a pitcher - it looked like a glass in his hand.....
Remember seeing Chris doing the same in a bar downtown called 'That Place' in '74. Peanut shells all over the floor, must be the same place.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Remember seeing Chris doing the same in a bar downtown called 'That Place' in '74. Peanut shells all over the floor, must be the same place.
The bar was just a short way toward Welch from Genuine John’s. They were both on Kellogg. John’s was close to the railroad track and eventually burned down.
That place was different - it was on Main Street. I went there after many football games,

Last edited:

imaclone2

Jun 7, 2008
Chris worked at Grandaddy's taking money for the cover charge when I was at ISU.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I was told he had to do his weigh-ins at Vet Med because that was the only place in town with scales that could weigh him.
They weighed him at the meat lab. There were pictures of him trying out for football. They had to cut the uniform and fill in pieces. They could not find a helmet to fit.

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
Chris worked at Grandaddy's taking money for the cover charge when I was at ISU.
Was with a buddy in there that was asked to leave nicely and didn’t. Chris came over and hit him in the chest. We left. Sported 4 black/blue knuckle marks on his chest that spanned at least 6”.

Reactions: imaclone2

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I remember seeing several members of the wrestling team (including Ben Peterson) having serious discussion with Chris in Beyer Hall. Chris was asking Ben for pointers on how to gain weight! Why, I have no idea. This was the golden age of wrestling at ISU...Gable, the Petersons, Taylor, Dave Martin, Chuck Jean, Carl Adams... we were so good.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Chris actually joined the football team for a couple of practices. Majors was excited to insert the ultimate road grader at guard. The trial was ended when they could not find a helmet big enough to fit him. Another what could have been story for Iowa State.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Granddaddy's late 70's thru mid 80's(?) down on Lincoln way about where Culver's is now. Disco bar back in 80's.
I remember seeing several members of the wrestling team (including Ben Peterson) having serious discussion with Chris in Beyer Hall. Chris was asking Ben for pointers on how to gain weight! Why, I have no idea. This was the golden age of wrestling at ISU...Gable, the Petersons, Taylor, Dave Martin, Chuck Jean, Carl Adams... we were so good.
Agree. I used to occasionally party with Jason Smith. I believe he was the national champ at 165. Good guy. He sure looked like he weighed much more in the off season.

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
A friend of mine’s older brother wrestled Heavyweight for Drake. His brother was 6’3” 250ish, built like. V-8. Chris pinned him several times in less than a minute. He said once Chris got a grip on you it was over whenever he wanted to finish it.