Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Miami basketball with no actual fans is not going to pay players millions and millions over decades.

Schools that have a combo of both real fan interest and real booster money will be able to keep a huge pro player payroll going annually.

There may be some case of a random rich guy or company that feels they want to dump millions into a team with few fans but it won't be the norm. There's just not a lot of reward in it. The local fans/alumni either care or they don't. Take that brand away and it's G League or AA baseball.

Only need 1 guy with $100M+ net worth for a basketball team worth of salary. He would be the "owner" for all intents and purposes, just with no revenue for his "business".

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I really don’t think anyone is a fan of the NIL but the players. One thing will remain clear throughout the process going forward, blue bloods will remain just that and stronger than ever going forward. It’s going to be rough for a program like Iowa State the first handful of seasons. But eventually it will be a little more even-keel with non blue blood programs as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Only need 1 guy with $100M+ net worth for a basketball team worth of salary. He would be the "owner" for all intents and purposes, just with no revenue for his "business".

I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't think it's going to be common or the typical model. I'm not worried about a random non traditional power program here or there with one giant booster supporting a traditional non-power team. I don't think there are going to be 20-50 of those. In football it would be even less likely to see that as the common model, maybe if we had this 30 years ago Oregon does the same thing they did with Nike except this time it all goes directly to the players. I just don't think you're going to see some massive shift in who the traditional powers are in both sports, rather just the "haves" will have more.

I think more common will be teams that have the brand, have the tradition, have the fanatical fan base, and have the boosters pulling even further into a new realm. Certainly some were probably already doing that with some cheating in terms of recruiting. Some places have always had an edge in recruiting without cheating, I live near UCLA now and it would be an easy sell just with the various scenery/weather before even getting to the historic winning.

These are my "thoughts" and they might be wrong (who among us really knows where it's going even day to day). Apologies to those who don't think this board is for people discussing their thoughts.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I really don’t think anyone is a fan of the NIL but the players. One thing will remain clear throughout the process going forward, blue bloods will remain just that and stronger than ever going forward. It’s going to be rough for a program like Iowa State the first handful of seasons. But eventually it will be a little more even-keel with non blue blood programs as well.
Agree
Could also lead to some new blue bloods. People with so much money they can buy their way to relevancy. Not saying it will happen, but Miami might be an example. They obviously have excess cash from wealthy people who care about winning.

Reactions: CycloneVet

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
This whole Tyrese Hunter thing playing out makes me think the whole UNC NIL Deal for $750k was made up. That figure was floated hoping a bigger offer might come. If that figure had been met then we would have had an announcement IMO.
I think it was made up by the ISU athletic department in hopes of getting an NIL foundation started.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
This whole Tyrese Hunter thing playing out makes me think the whole UNC NIL Deal for $750k was made up. That figure was floated hoping a bigger offer might come. If that figure had been met then we would have had an announcement IMO.
I agree with this. For a player with this reputation, you would think that they already had "offers" before deciding to be in the transfer portal. I wonder whether any offer already existed by then...

Gink

Apr 23, 2007
I agree with this. For a player with this reputation, you would think that they already had "offers" before deciding to be in the transfer portal. I wonder whether any offer already existed by then...
I think the fact that a school has not been selected for many of these players, it means there are not that many roster spots available with serious NIL money and it is a buyer's market and they are being very selective on offering the spots. Probably a lot depends on who withdraws from the draft. I could see players hoping for serious money, finding themselves without an offer for serious money, and then scrambling for the best situation left for them with many schools already with full rosters.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I think the fact that a school has not been selected for many of these players, it means there are not that many roster spots available with serious NIL money and it is a buyer's market and they are being very selective on offering the spots. Probably a lot depends on who withdraws from the draft. I could see players hoping for serious money, finding themselves without an offer for serious money, and then scrambling for the best situation left for them with many schools already with full rosters.
I think covid really screwed things up also. Getting players like Connor McCaffrey who stick around forever. His roster spot would have been going to someone else. Instead of a transfer filling a spot from someone who graduated, these super duper seniors stay another year.

While I understand some of these athletes had seasons ruined and lost opportunities, it seems like the lost opportunities are being passed on to the next guy in line.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Agree
Could also lead to some new blue bloods. People with so much money they can buy their way to relevancy. Not saying it will happen, but Miami might be an example. They obviously have excess cash from wealthy people who care about winning.
You can't always buy relevancy. Look at Texas with their football program and them constantly throwing money at a new coach every few years and building a lousy culture of selfish players.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Agree

SMU was on its way because of rich boosters. Like I have said before, can’t make an example out of a No name school for cheating anymore which is good for us in a way.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You can't always buy relevancy. Look at Texas with their football program and them constantly throwing money at a new coach every few years and building a lousy culture of selfish players.
Does the SEC know Texas isn’t relevant?

Texas is relevant.You can’t necessarily buy wins.

Reactions: Cyclones1969

Gink

Apr 23, 2007
I think there are only a few serious" NIL positions available. A bunch of players want those positions and the teams who have them are being very selective. If there were more positions available I think a lot of players like Hunter would have already taken one. I think the teams who have the positions available are waiting to see withdraws from the draft and then will make their offer for the best player to fit their needs. I expect the players who don't get a NIL position will then be scrambling to find the best team for them with a open scholarship. Maybe some of them will try to go back to their original school if they still have a spot.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Starting to hear Miami might be getting some serious NIL funding from the famous Tony Montana.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Starting to hear Miami might be getting some serious NIL funding from the famous Tony Montana.
Now I am picturing Pacino holding one of these and saying, "Say hello, to my little friend."

91kIKFcoUWL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Snydes