Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I don't think it would be more obvious because there are schools (Arkansas) that aren't bluebloods and have some big time donors/alum that will pony up the money. UNC is reportedly set to pay Bacot north of 1Mil for him to return to school. The blue bloods will have more money to give to these players. The playing field is going to be so narrow because only a handful of schools can come up with the funds to get the best players. You'll have teams (probably blue bloods) with a whole new roster year after year if this continues.

Players can leave after committing, sure. They can go to blue bloods or anywhere for that fact. But you can't sit there and say what went down with Hunter isn't fishy. When things are going well after the season and he's happy and plans to return and then all of a sudden he's hitting the transfer market. But it's going to become more and more obvious if they're leaving for money.

We have taken our fair share of transfers and we're going to continue to take our fair share of transfers. Our transfers are going to become guys from smaller conferences though. We aren't going to be able to pay some of these transfers from P5 schools.

If NIL is around back when we started the whole transfer deal, we aren't probably getting the likes of Royce White, Will Clyburn, Korie Lucious, Chris Allen.
How do you know he was happy?

There was scuttlebutt he wasn’t entirely happy on other social media.

But why wouldn’t a kid who has options want to explore them? Especially when he has friends that he had a better year than, telling him how much they were going to make

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It wasn't necessarily legal when they were doing it. I mean, look at the FBI deal. (Will Wade). So it wasn't going to be as wide spread because teams/coaches didn't want to get caught.

Now that it's legal, not through the school, you can sure bet there are going to be 3/4/5 star guys all across the country asking for something.
There are only so many spots on a team, the blue bloods are going to take the 5 stars and some 4 stars (pretty much like always), who is going to pay the 3 stars and why can't it be us? Sorry but Caleb Grill or Jaden Walker are not going be able to demand that much money, not so much that we can't easily compete if we choose to.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Still think the situation is completely different here

JCL was a 6th? 7th? year player transferring to a school where he wasn't going to get much time.

Hunter is much more valuable and plus, the way it's happening makes it a bigger deal, too.

Im comparing Enaruna and JCL, not Hunter. If Hunter plays in Hilton as an opponent I 100% expect booing

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

But why wouldn’t a kid who has options want to explore them? Especially when he has friends that he had a better year than, telling him how much they were going to make

Because it was reported by CW. Or maybe Stanz.. can't remember exactly what one.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclones1969

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
There are only so many spots on a team, the blue bloods are going to take the 5 stars and some 4 stars (pretty much like always), who is going to pay the 3 stars and why can't it be us? Sorry but Caleb Grill or Jaden Walker are not going be able to demand that much money, not so much that we can't easily compete if we choose to.

I think basketball is going to be worse than football but there was a 3 star DT demanding like 250K.

It's going to happen. I agree, Caleb Grill or Jaden Walker do not have a value of 200K but it will happen.

If not right out of college, it'll happen kind of how Hunters situation went down. Had a decent year at a P5 school, the more powerful P5 schools will come calling.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Not at all. I appreciate Rick Majerus' analogy about players having empty refrigerators compared to his. I hope ISU has some sort of clearinghouse to arrange NIL agreements so players don't have to live in poverty. But NIL deals shouldn't be the determining factor in where to go to school because there are bigger things at stake. Unless you actually are getting high six figures or more, but I dont think those deals are all that common
I really don't understand the argument that college athletes are/were living in poverty. Certainly not more so than other college students (or more than they would have been). I was good friends with a woman's basketball player when I was in school, and she had everything she needed - housing, money for food, clothes, shoes...

Now sure, if you grew up poor, you weren't getting a free car or whatever (and I suppose food during summer break), but they wouldn't have had that anyway.

If I'm missing some angle, I'm happy to listen. They don't have time to get an extra job perhaps, but what do they need the job for? They're getting through college with zero debt.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I really don't understand the argument that college athletes are/were living in poverty. Certainly not more so than other college students (or more than they would have been). I was good friends with a woman's basketball player when I was in school, and she had everything she needed - housing, money for food, clothes, shoes...

Now sure, if you grew up poor, you weren't getting a free car or whatever (and I suppose food during summer break), but they wouldn't have had that anyway.

If I'm missing some angle, I'm happy to listen. They don't have time to get an extra job perhaps, but what do they need the job for? They're getting through college with zero debt.
Your user name is incredibly accurate

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013

The coaches, universities, and TV networks are making millions. It's not unreasonable for the players who are generating all that money to be able to go home for holidays and have a car and be able to go out once in a while.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not at all. I appreciate Rick Majerus' analogy about players having empty refrigerators compared to his. I hope ISU has some sort of clearinghouse to arrange NIL agreements so players don't have to live in poverty. But NIL deals shouldn't be the determining factor in where to go to school because there are bigger things at stake. Unless you actually are getting high six figures or more, but I dont think those deals are all that common

Well... why?

To a guy from Wisconsin for example, what does he care about ISU? If he's getting offered by Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and ISU, I'm guessing the pitches are similar. Every coach is telling them they can achieve their long term goals by going to their school. I think it'd be incredibly hard to differentiate between them, however a solid straight up cash offer is easy to determine the differences.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well... why?

To a guy from Wisconsin for example, what does he care about ISU? If he's getting offered by Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and ISU, I'm guessing the pitches are similar. Every coach is telling them they can achieve their long term goals by going to their school. I think it'd be incredibly hard to differentiate between them, however a solid straight up cash offer is easy to determine the differences.
Building a relationship with a coach and seeing how the coach treats his current players and how those players treat each other is probably more important than a few thousand dollars considering how many hours you are going to spend in that environment for the next year.

• Haha

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Building a relationship with a coach and seeing how the coach treats his current players and how those players treat each other is probably more important than a few thousand dollars considering how many hours you are going to spend in that environment for the next year.
I know you find this funny 1969, but I personally have turned down jobs with higher salaries because of things like living environment, and work culture.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Exactly. And he has the opportunity to get a college degree from a quality academic institution. And as at least a potential pro, finding a school and coaching staff who can best prepare him for that is more important than a few thousand of NIL money.

• Haha

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
But you’ve already said you aren’t going to be part of the solution, and aren’t really contributing now

So complaining about it is unnecessary, since you’re not going to be involved

Really? Contributed to the Cyclone Club and season ticket holders for over a decade till Covid hit. Those contributions now don’t count I guess according to you. Just NIL.

Reactions: Acylum

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

3 weeks ago in the Register they ran an article about Hunter saying he would have no problem selling Iowa State to new recruits. He was coming back. Sounds like he was happy then.

• Haha

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Really? Contributed to the Cyclone Club and season ticket holders for over a decade till Covid hit. Those contributions now don’t count I guess according to you. Just NIL.
During your fit the other day. You said you were done.

And you just said you stopped donating and buying tickets the last two years.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
3 weeks ago in the Register they ran an article about Hunter saying he would have no problem selling Iowa State to new recruits. He was coming back. Sounds like he was happy then.
The staff even knew he wasn’t super happy. They also didn’t think he was leaving til last week.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
How many times in NCAA MBB a team in the best conference gone to the sweet 16 had their best returning player transfer away?
that's a good question. Anybody think of one? (Can't be a player moving 'up' or been in some hot water.)

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
During your fit the other day. You said you were done.

And you just said you stopped donating and buying tickets the last two years.

I said until Covid hit. I cut back on expenditures when Covid hit. I was affected. My kids and grandkids were affected as well financially. So yes, I stopped donating and did not buy tickets. My Family is more important. And after Prohm’s last year when I could not even watch it was so terrible I found I could survive without basketball. Because what Prohm gave us wasn’t even basketball. There are things far more important to me than Iowa State Basketball. Those things are given priority with my limited supply of money and resources.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Help Support Us

Become a patron