Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
But he did commit to the new coach and new system. He was re-recruited and decided ISU was the right destination. Now, even though he had nothing at all negative to say about the team or TJ, is apparently no longer is. That is how it's different - he did commit to this coach, team and system.
So yes, we all would feel better if Hunter transferred last year and we didn't have the success we did this season. We understand that we're most likely not making the sweet 16 or maybe the tournament at all without the Big 12 Freshman of the year that was our starting PG every game of the season, an elite level defender, and second leading scorer, right?

He's not allowed to leave on good terms since he stayed the extra year?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
But he did commit to the new coach and new system. He was re-recruited and decided ISU was the right destination. Now, even though he had nothing at all negative to say about the team or TJ, is apparently no longer is. That is how it's different - he did commit to this coach, team and system.

I think the biggest thing that hurts with hunter is that when the season ended, all indications showed that he was happy and goin to stay.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
So yes, we all would feel better if Hunter transferred last year and we didn't have the success we did this season. We understand that we're most likely not making the sweet 16 or maybe the tournament at all without the Big 12 Freshman of the year that was our starting PG every game of the season, an elite level defender, and second leading scorer, right?

Stop being a contrarian, we all understand that he's leaving to chase the bag. However, our ire will be invoked if he transfers to one of our rivals. That is also completely understandable.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Stop being a contrarian, we all understand that he's leaving to chase the bag. However, our ire will be invoked if he transfers to one of our rivals. That is also completely understandable.
I think some people understand it, but most people are freaking out that he's leaving, hoping he fails for example, and we have no idea where he's going at this point. And honestly it's all speculation anyways because nobody here has any idea what Hunter is thinking.

But if the contrarian view is to not freak out when players leave for whatever reason then I'm ok with that.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Hunter is not an option for next year. At this point we have Williams playing PG backed up by Lipsey. We will be checking out the portal obviously. But we aren’t that desperate to just take a marginal reserve at a lower level.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
That hasn't changed though, still a new coach and new system that he didn't originally commit to. Would we prefer that he didn't stick around and we probably don't make the sweet 16 or maybe the tournament at all?

At the time of him recommitting, we had no idea we were going to the sweet 16.

If he goes elsewhere b/c he doesn't wanna play for Otz, that's totally acceptable. We were under the impression we were going to win 10-12 games anyway.

I don't have a problem with him leaving, it's whatever, but it doesn't sit well with me HOW he's leaving-- b/c of NIL from blue bloods (speculative) so if he goes to a KU or Texas, you know damn well money is involved.

The NIL deal didn't happen when we had to re-recruit him.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
If ISU doesn’t adapt to the changes we are going to get left behind. That’s why I will donate to NIL, and I believe we should have at least tried to keep Hunter if the price was reasonable.

Instead what we did is establish ourselves as a no pay school, which does nothin to help a second year head coach trying to establish a trajectory for his new program.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclad

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
If ISU doesn’t adapt to the changes we are going to get left behind. That’s why I will donate to NIL, and I believe we should have at least tried to keep Hunter if the price was reasonable.

I think we're going to adapt but iowa state was waaaay behind some other schools on the NIL front

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
NIL has changed the transfer situation. You really do not understand how the “process“ works.

Agree with that point! Also, the instant-eligibility rule is arguably the bigger issue. How many of these players would enter the portal if they had to sit for a year? I am not arguing for that, I am for any rule that benefits the player. I may not be thrilled about it changing the game...but the players need rights. It will be up to the institutions/leagues/some new organization to try to incorporate these new rules into somewhat of a level playing field (whatever that is).

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006

Not what I said at all, but nice try. The point was made earlier that this was no different from him leaving after Prohm was fired because he 'never committed to this team or system'. I was simply pointing out that he did in fact committ to this coach, team and system through TJ's re-recruitment. Again, nice try at starting drama however.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013

Yes we got to enjoy a very good year. He was the best player on our team and the center of our plans for next year, so we're disappointed. We will move on with a new group of players to cheer for next year. BUT, for the players, college should be about getting an education and, for the elite players, preparing themselves for the pros. I don't believe players moving around all the time helps advance those goals, nor does it help them become better men. In most cases, NIL money shouldn't be a major factor in such decisions.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
At the time of him recommitting, we had no idea we were going to the sweet 16.

If he goes elsewhere b/c he doesn't wanna play for Otz, that's totally acceptable. We were under the impression we were going to win 10-12 games anyway.

I don't have a problem with him leaving, it's whatever, but it doesn't sit well with me HOW he's leaving-- b/c of NIL from blue bloods (speculative) so if he goes to a KU or Texas, you know damn well money is involved.

The NIL deal didn't happen when we had to re-recruit him.
Wouldn't it be more obvious that money was involved if he went to a non-blue blood? People have wanted to play for teams like UNC, Duke, Kansas etc (Texas is not a blue blood) forever.

Can players now not leave after committing at all, or they just can't go to blue blood schools, or they can't go anywhere if we think they're not leaving for the right reason?

We've certainly taken in our fair share of transfers from other schools.

Reactions: CyJack13

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Not what I said at all, but nice try. The point was made earlier that this was no different from him leaving after Prohm was fired because he 'never committed to this team or system'. I was simply pointing out that he did in fact committ to this coach, team and system through TJ's re-recruitment. Again, nice try at starting drama however.
So since he stayed this last year he cannot transfer out, or he can but we're then justified in being upset with him?

What if he was a TJ recruit initially and he got done with his freshman year and was like this isn't for me, it's not what I thought it'd be, I don't want to do this for the next 2 or 3 years?