*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Guyssssssss we all know lunardi is a tool.

Almost 80% of bracket matrix has us as an 8/9.

I’m generally curious why Lunardi has us an 11 and then Palm and Sports Illustrated (using major media outlets) has us a 9. How is there a 2 line difference in their thinking?

It's hard to predict which metrics the committee will focus on. Is it wins, NET rankings, recent performance, or just an eye test. With our poor record but list of good wins, ISU is a tough one to place because it all depends on what the committee will look at.

CyTwister

Aug 30, 2019
It's hard to predict which metrics the committee will focus on. Is it wins, NET rankings, recent performance, or just an eye test. With our poor record but list of good wins, ISU is a tough one to place because it all depends on what the committee will look at.
wins matter. Throw out the rest of what you said though. Recent performance, NET ranking don’t matter in bid selection and it’s on the record.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
wins matter. Throw out the rest of what you said though. Recent performance, NET ranking don’t matter in bid selection and it’s on the record.

The eye test isn't officially on the CFB playoff committee list, but we hear it brought up every year.

But yes, wins matter. But is the committee impressed by high scoring flowing offenses or physical defensive games? At some point it comes down to a subjective selection. That's where the deviations come.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwister

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
The two seeds aren't far away from the 1 seeds this year. I'd prefer to play Arizona than Purdue this year.
I'd be completely satisfied to play any seed in the second round. That would mean we won a game. Coming from not even remotely thinking about the tourney prior to the season.... it's a win.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I don’t care where we get seeded as long as we matchup with the team well in the first round.
I agree, but you know as soon as the matchup comes out there's gonna be people that love it, and people that hate it.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Anything 8-10 would make sense. Higher isn't possible at this point, lower and we should all scream. We went 9-8 against Q1 teams which is as good or better a percentage as Villanova, Tech, Illinois, UConn, Alabama who are all projected as a 6 or better across the board. We have no bad losses. Analytics don't look great for us which is why you'll likely see us as a 9-10 seed even though our resume probably is a 6-7.

Reactions: Nothingman

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Good signs for us on the reveal: KU and Baylor both 1s, Tech 3 in the South, high seeds for Providence or Creighton, Rutgers or Miami in with a bye

All would show value on Q1 wins and less emphasis on NET

Bad signs for us: Houston as a 3 or 4 seed, UNC single-digit seed, A&M/Wyoming/Wake in with a bye

All would show a change from the Top 16 reveal and higher emphasis on NET

stender

Jan 26, 2020
Watching Iowa game at a bar in Frisco, CO. It still amazes me why they are so highly thought of. 12 conference wins - 10 against bottom half of the league - 2 against an average OSU + MSU teams - none against top 4 teams. Best non-con win was against an average Virginia team. More than any team I can think of, Iowa really benefits from playing in a watered down league, and REALLY benefits from the unbalanced schedule. Even in the BTT, who did they beat? 18-12 Rutgers, and 9th place IU. Not exactly murderers row.

My hope is that the NCAA committee recognizes what a farce their inflated record is, and seeds them accordingly.

I will say that both Murrays are damn good. Seem like good dudes, which is unique for this team.

On that note, I am so grateful that we have a coaches + players who are not huge jackasses.. Fran is embarrassing. Conner + Bohannon are punks. Like an earlier post said, what's worse is that the media + their fans condone it.

I think we all need to appreciate what TJ + his team did this year. Yes, they have their limitations, but the fact that they won 20 games, and "should" have their name called tonight is remarkable.

Finally, I work on the scorers bench for a HS team in a Eastern Iowa. About a month ago when we played IC West, the McCaffery clan was in fine form. Late in the game, there was a call that was maybe a travel, but they called a foul on the 9th grade McCaffery kid. Behind me, some IC West fans were livid - yelling, cursing, really over the top. I turned to see who it was and yes it was good ole Fran + Conner. Conner is just a punk - he didn't surprise me. Fran? Out in public like that, you would think he could reel it in - but I think he just can't contain himself.

Anyway - Go Cyclones! Hoping for a good draw tonight! Go Boilers! The "fake ID of college bball" needs to be exposed. I hope they get a 8/9 seed.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
If we make it (I’m not ruling it out) It’ll be an 11 or 12 seed of the first four. Likely someone like Norte Dame or Indiana.

• Haha
Reactions: Tailg8er

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Lunardi has Michigan making it with 17 wins!! That is absolute nonsense!

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
It’s really obvious who pays attention to Bracketology and metrics all year and who is an idiot.