Brockington and the NBA Draft

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Going into the year I didn't think we would have anyone to follow for the draft, but it shouldn't be a surprise that he's starting to show on some draft boards. Should be fun to follow if he keeps playing this well.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
His size and age mean he will not be drafted. He could make a roster though.
I think his age keeps him out of the first round, but if he keeps playing at an all-conference level I would be surprised if he isn't taken in the 2nd round.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Lafaester54

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
I hope he gets drafted, but the odds seem against making a roster. I worry he won't get his mid-range off as consistently against longer, more-athletic pros and he needs to improve his outside shooting (but that's true for just about everybody who gets drafted).
To me he feels like a guy who would be a better fit grinding it out in Europe than doing the G League route. Maybe he'll follow a Matt Thomas path and refine his game to the point where he gets a chance to make an NBA roster down the road.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
It would be great for him and ISU if he got drafted but I just don't see him in the NBA. Not trying to be negative and I am ecstatic that we have him but not being able to go right with the same intensity that he does going left will hurt him. Also, the NBA is so big now that I think his size might hinder him. But best of luck to him.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don’t think he will get drafted but as the pandemic continues yes there are lots of cups of tea to be had in the league.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He'll make money somewhere for sure. One would think that he could land on an NBA roster eventually due to his offensive and defensive ability. I'm guessing he'll work his butt off to add the ability to drive to the right. He's already starting to show that he has worked on that a bit lately.

Reactions: VeloClone

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
What am I missing with his age? He’s going to be 23 during the draft. That’s not young for the draft but it isn’t super old.
Granted he is not a senior citizen like Bohannon, but 23 is pretty old for NBA draft.. Covid adding eligibility certainly will present a lot more older players in this years draft. Will be interesting to see how things shake out.

The Murray kid at Iowa will be 22 before the next NBA season and why he will leave this year. He would probably hurt his draft status, waiting another year, and not because of talent but because of age.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Looking at previous year's drafts - Chris Duarte, the #13 pick, is a very interesting comp for Brockington, and of a similar age at the draft. Although Duarte is clearly a better outside shooter (or at least more prolific)

The year before, Desmond Bane from TCU is a similar player too, again a more prolific shooter, but he was a full year younger than Brockington at the draft (22 vs 23). Bane was drafted 30th.

From an ISU perspective, Brockington compares favorably to Marial Shayok, who was the 54th draft pick at a full year older (24).

There seems to be roughly 4-8 "fliers" on 22-24 year old seniors in the second round each year, so it just depends if a team finds him worth one of those slots.

There were more 23-year olds drafted than I expected though

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron