Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Comparing a couple security officers to a ******* swat team seems a lot more weird to me than anything Hy-Vee has done lol. Target has security too, wonder if they got ridiculed when they hired them? As has been mentioned a thousand times in this thread, Hy-Vee has a lot more than groceries these days..

And yeah, a grocery store producing any show other than cooking is weird - apparently someone thinks it will make money. It certainly won't have any affect on my life so guess it doesn't move the needle on my opinion of the company.

SWAT team is an exaggeration obviously but does Target's security carry guns? I'd love to hear any story within Hy-Vee that would have had a better outcome had internal security pulled their guns out or shot someone.

Hy-Vee can make whatever company decisions they want. But we can all mock them for them too.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
When they fired a bunch of the long time store employees in 2020, they also moved some dieticians to corporate and fired some of the others. If they have to do TV shows, cooking and nutrition would seem more useful and appropriate.

They used to blow a bunch of money mailing out these booklets, not sure if they were monthly or quarterly. They had healthy eating tips, recipes especially centered on upcoming holidays on events, and of course, promoting their products. Not sure if they still do those, we haven’t gotten one in ages.

Fareway’s cart to kitchen videos with food preparation tips seem more helpful than Hy-Vee’s alternative meat market show.

Yeah and outside the metro areas most of the HyVee's don't have a store manager anymore. They got rid of those and they have one manager overseeing multiple locations. That literally goes against the basic principles HyVee was built on.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Yeah and outside the metro areas most of the HyVee's don't have a store manager anymore. They got rid of those and they have one manager overseeing multiple locations. That literally goes against the basic principles HyVee was built on.

I remember hearing about that a few years ago. Awful, just awful idea.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
When they fired a bunch of the long time store employees in 2020, they also moved some dieticians to corporate and fired some of the others. If they have to do TV shows, cooking and nutrition would seem more useful and appropriate.

They used to blow a bunch of money mailing out these booklets, not sure if they were monthly or quarterly. They had healthy eating tips, recipes especially centered on upcoming holidays on events, and of course, promoting their products. Not sure if they still do those, we haven’t gotten one in ages.

Fareway’s cart to kitchen videos with food preparation tips seem more helpful than Hy-Vee’s alternative meat market show.

I still get their Seasons magazine in the mail. I think it's four times a year. It's not that beneficial to me.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Was traveling for work this week and in a town with few healthy food options. Fast food everywhere. Stopped at the Kwik Trip for gas on my way back to the hotel in search of dinner. Left with a rotisserie chicken, carrots, and grapes. I have to admit, that will enter my dining rotation when I’m on the road and in a pinch.

We just moved to Kwik Trip country and when my wife told me to grab an onion, an avocado and a lime if they had one, I thought she was crazy until I walked out with all three.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
SWAT team is an exaggeration obviously but does Target's security carry guns? I'd love to hear any story within Hy-Vee that would have had a better outcome had internal security pulled their guns out or shot someone.

Hy-Vee can make whatever company decisions they want. But we can all mock them for them too.

HyVee story that didn't require guns, but was pretty interesting:

Small town Iowa Friday night and we are in the HyVee parking lot watching everyone cruise by. Normal for high school kids back in the day. My pretty overweight buddy starts jumping in the air and lifting his leg and farting on cue. We are all dying and this goes on for a few minutes. Finally, he lifts his leg and lets one rip and his face dropped. Dude had totally sharted. He ran into HyVee and promptly made an underwear deposit and then headed home. It was pretty classic stuff.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It seems like whenever Hy-Vee tries something they look at how it is doing for the first 6 months or so. A lot of people try it initially but many find its not for them and move on. But the people trying inflates the numbers so the Hy-Vee execs deem it a success and roll concepts doomed to failure out to all of their stores. The Wahlburgers at our Hy-Vee is a ghost town.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The talk about Target being a better, more upscale experience than WalMart (which I agree with) reminds me of growing up. In the late 70s-early 80s there was a Target in Ottumwa, the only one I was aware of at the time … and that store was basically what WalMart is like today. It’s quite something to realize what a good job Target did of making themselves appear better, cleaner, and a bit more upscale considering where they were 45 years ago!

Another vote for the Red Card from me, that does bring Target prices more in line with other grocery chains. Although I also agree the selection isn’t always the best, particularly with margarine/dairy products.
Target totally remade itself in the 90s. 80s Target was real low rent back in the day. It was basically Kmart back then.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
My wife had a friend who’s marriage went south due to the 80’s Farm Crisis. After the divorce & loss of the farm she started over by moving to California, taking a job as an apartment complex manager which included her housing as she had no money or car. Ten years later we were in California for a week or so and my wife said we were staying with this gal for a couple of days in her estate on the Pacific. I said “what are you talking about”? My wife said her friend was at a grocery store in the fresh fruit section and met an old guy and helped him pick out the correct fruit. Started dating & eventual marriage. The guy’s daughter’s name was Wendy. Which was the name he picked for his fast food change. Wasn’t long he got cancer and she ended up with the house. The next door neighbor was Ken Norton ex boxer & movie star. So, yes people do meet in the vegetable’s.
UPDATE - I asked my wife whatever happened to that Lady? She said eventually she sold the estate and moved to Mexico for tax advantage etc. I think the Acapulco area. So, the Farm Crisis in the 80"s wasn't all bad for some folks and widows might hang out in the veggie section and forget internet dating!

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It seems like whenever Hy-Vee tries something they look at how it is doing for the first 6 months or so. A lot of people try it initially but many find its not for them and move on. But the people trying inflates the numbers so the Hy-Vee execs deem it a success and roll concepts doomed to failure out to all of their stores. The Wahlburgers at our Hy-Vee is a ghost town.

Maybe I'm underestimating the guy's appeal, but I'll never understand the spell Mark Wahlberg has over that company, that it oriented so much of its business and promotional strategy around him. Are people clamoring for more Mark Wahlberg in their lives?

Went to Wahlburger's once, it was perfectly fine but overpriced and the place was a weird shrine to the Wahlberg family.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Maybe I'm underestimating the guy's appeal, but I'll never understand the spell Mark Wahlberg has over that company, that it oriented so much of its business and promotional strategy around him. Are people clamoring for more Mark Wahlberg in their lives?

Went to Wahlburger's once, it was perfectly fine but overpriced and the place was a weird shrine to the Wahlberg family.

We hardly shop at HyVee (usually some combo of Fareway and Target) but I eat lunch at the new one in Grimes pretty frequently. I’m not sure how Wahlbergers is still a thing. It was like 16 or 18 bucks for a burger and one side with no drink. It wasn’t any better than you can get at BBops or Culver’s. It’s the worst lunch option at twice the price of anything else. The Mia Pizzas are killer for the 6 or 8 bucks spent though.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and MJ29

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

He’s dreamy. Daddy’s Home 2 is our family’s favorite Xmas movie.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
When I worked at Hy-Vee, over 20 years ago, being a store director in a small town was the job to have. The small town directors were 100% commission and a lot of them made a **** load of money. It wasn't uncommon for the store director at a place like Indianola (old store) to make $300k/year, which would be north of $500k/year in todays money. The big new stores usually didn't make a ton of money right away and those directors were usually young and on a much lower salary. Back then, only about 5 people in the store made good money (Store Director, Pharmacists, Assistant Director, Meat Manager, and Deli manager). It sounds like pharmacists everywhere have seen lower wages over the last couple of decades.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
When I worked at Hy-Vee, over 20 years ago, being a store director in a small town was the job to have. The small town directors were 100% commission and a lot of them made a **** load of money. It wasn't uncommon for the store director at a place like Indianola (old store) to make $300k/year, which would be north of $500k/year in todays money. The big new stores usually didn't make a ton of money right away and those directors were usually young and on a much lower salary. Back then, only about 5 people in the store made good money (Store Director, Pharmacists, Assistant Director, Meat Manager, and Deli manager). It sounds like pharmacists everywhere have seen lower wages over the last couple of decades.

Yeah, they store director job used to be big time. Typically you had to me a manager in several of the other departments which generally entailed moving multiple times. It's a completely different deal now.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

The Urbandale HyVee was the first Market Grill and it was a dud from the get go. The execs completely ignored the failure and still pushed the concept out to multiple stores that required remodels. It is the worst mistake in the history of the company yet they still did again with Wahlburger.

• Agree
Reactions: urb1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron