Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's a slippery slope. When you have a company like Hy-Vee that just keeps making poor mistake after poor mistake and then passing those costs onto the consumer then that becomes a huge problem. I've been a very loyal HyVee shopper for years but I've stopped going there except for certain things. I'll shopped their adds but other than that I'm done. Iowans have been crazy loyal to HyVee despite the fact that we are the ones paying for all of their failed expansions and new ideas but that seems to be changing.

I've grown to actively dislike Hy Vee. I live by a pretty big one, literally just probably 500 yards away, and so I run there often for stuff... and they have a tremendous problem keeping stuff on the shelf. Basic things. Then I have to go somewhere else anyway. It drives me crazy and I'm just tired of it.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
One more thought on this. How annoyed are the employees going to get over this? I know working retail in college that the same music playing over and over again was enough to make you hate Christmas songs forever. At what point does a dating show shown on a loop kill your will to ever want to date someone?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think their expansion into gas and convenience stores was actually executed well. Offer the quick items in a completely separate building to let people get in and out fast by avoiding the main store.
I think the ones with actual hot food are good but HyVee has some gross just gas station based stores and the only HyVee food items in it are donuts.

Seems like they're renovating some to have the hot food.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think the ones with actual hot food are good but HyVee has some gross just gas station based stores and the only HyVee food items in it are donuts.

Seems like they're renovating some to have the hot food.
Hyvee gas stations suck ass.

Reactions: RezClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's not quite the same in the Des Moines area but Quik Trip has a relative monopoly the convenience store market in the KC area. They accomplished this by having the fastest/best checkout process of any retail/sales establishment I've been in. The line can be 15 deep and it takes no more than 2 minutes to get to the cashier. The restrooms are clean, the layout is consistent, and most of the stores have been updated. In the updates they added the kitchens but it didn't detract from or disrupt their core business model.
Same thing with most newer Kwik Trips/Kwik Stars. There are still older stores in NE small towns but the new ones going in: the one off 100th in DSM is great.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
My wife had a friend who’s marriage went south due to the 80’s Farm Crisis. After the divorce & loss of the farm she started over by moving to California, taking a job as an apartment complex manager which included her housing as she had no money or car. Ten years later we were in California for a week or so and my wife said we were staying with this gal for a couple of days in her estate on the Pacific. I said “what are you talking about”? My wife said her friend was at a grocery store in the fresh fruit section and met an old guy and helped him pick out the correct fruit. Started dating & eventual marriage. The guy’s daughter’s name was Wendy. Which was the name he picked for his fast food change. Wasn’t long he got cancer and she ended up with the house. The next door neighbor was Ken Norton ex boxer & movie star. So, yes people do meet in the vegetable’s.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Why the hell does a grocery store have aTV network to begin with? They can run full seasons of the Bachelor in a damn store, but can't get my online order right without messing up 4 of the items...
This. Is this network actually a thing? Who pays for this? I have never heard of whatever this is.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
One more thought on this. How annoyed are the employees going to get over this? I know working retail in college that the same music playing over and over again was enough to make you hate Christmas songs forever. At what point does a dating show shown on a loop kill your will to ever want to date someone?

I don't know man, the Menards greatest hits album is fire.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I think it's OK to expand beyond your core product as long as it doesn't lessen your product. All of these expansions into non-grocery items has taken away from the grocery shopping experience. In order to add the restaurants, the beauty sections, the walk-in clinics, the kitchen tools and pans, or the clothing sections they had to take away space that was dedicated to actual groceries.

I think their expansion into gas and convenience stores was actually executed well. Offer the quick items in a completely separate building to let people get in and out fast by avoiding the main store.

This. Maybe 4 years ago they "remodeled" the Cedar Falls store (there was a wave where I think all Hy-Vee stores got some of this) by adding the Market Grille, etc. There were several improvements I guess, but the key change was cutting out the middle section of the long food aisles by adding a cross-aisle and then put in some floating end caps. So instead of, say 6 aisles of food you technically have 12, but about 30% less shelf space. And the far aisles don't necessarily have anything to do with the near aisle if you just walk front-to-back.

It is THE single most brainless store design I have ever experienced. I despise shopping there. I feel like I am confused where everything is, still, and there is no efficient way to get in and get out. I hate shopping at Walmart for groceries, but at the end of the day it's the most convenient and efficient with adequate selection.

I more often go to a Hy-Vee to check selection in the Wine & Spirits store, maybe go in to get a handful of items I can't get anywhere else, or make a special trip to get Hy-Chi for dinner.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
According to Wikipedia, yes. McDonalds also invested in Chipotle as well.

I vaguely remember the case study on Chipotle's success and rapid expansion. I believe McD's was a heavy investor/majority owner type situation. Because of this, Chipotle not only had access to McD's money, but almost as important, they had access to McD's supply chain. This allowed them to expand as quickly as they did all of which would have been very difficult and costly if they had to build it from scratch.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
One of my best friends was an assistant store manager who, like many others, was forced out after 30 years of service. The current CEO seems to be a wack job. Fancies himself an ultra creative type who continually tries to force the business into things that make no sense. When they don't work, he blames the employees. He sounds like a moron.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
One of my best friends was an assistant store manager who, like many others, was forced out after 30 years of service. The current CEO seems to be a wack job. Fancies himself an ultra creative type who continually tries to force the business into things that make no sense. When they don't work, he blames the employees. He sounds like a moron.

Forced out?

Mar 21, 2021
We got Walmart, HyVee, and ALDI. I go mainly to ALDI, less to Walmart, none to HyVee. ALDI has what I want, for less, and they know how to check out. And then there's KwikTrip, which I think is KwikStar in Iowa, they're popping up everywhere, and they really know how to do retail.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's OK to expand beyond your core product as long as it doesn't lessen your product. All of these expansions into non-grocery items has taken away from the grocery shopping experience. In order to add the restaurants, the beauty sections, the walk-in clinics, the kitchen tools and pans, or the clothing sections they had to take away space that was dedicated to actual groceries.

Agreed. It’s about adding value to the customers. I really don’t thinkmost Hy-Vee customers were in demand for shoe stores, clothing, bath & body, etc in addition to groceries.

Convenience stores, pharmacy, health food, all make sense. The others do not. If I were an exec at Hyvee, I’d be leaning REAL hard into the online groceries. Even post-pandemic, I think a lot of people enjoy how convenient and fast that makes their grocery shopping. People want less time in the store, not more.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I know for a fact the many of the retired HyVee executives are NOT happy with him.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone