Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
The closest Fareway has superior meat and produce to the closest Hy-Vee and more selection in a much smaller store because it isn’t filled with soap bombs, Hawkeye merchandise, shoes, toys, and 20 clueless kids pulling crap for online orders.

Guessing yours are smaller stores/small town? Guess my perspective comes from the metro, where the big Hy-Vees (Urbandale/now Grimes) have 3-5x the selection of Fareway on just about every item they each sell, it's not close. And everytime I've gone to Fareway (usually for meat), the overall prices aren't much if at all lower than Hy-Vee.

I don't have an issue walking right past those sections I don't use, but it is nice to be able to get my groceries, beer, dog food, medicine/vitamins, shampoo/deodorant, TP and sometimes even dinner if I don't feel like cooking - all in one place.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
What's going to be their main competition down there? That Kroger territory?
He didn't say, I was trying to avoid the order fillers running up and down aisles, so I had to cut the conversation short, with a promise to meet for a drink after the Omicron lets up.:)

PS I think they were trying to impress, it was like trying to get out of parking after football, onlt with grocery carts and not cars. :D

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
There actually used to be a fulfillment center in Des Moines. I worked there for a little while. That's where all online orders were filled for all the stores in central Iowa. Online shopping was popular then but not as big as it is now. Even then, we'd do anywhere from 500-1200 orders a day. Ironically, they closed that fulfillment center in Feb/March 2020 and moved all the online shopping to in the stores.
This was a huge mistake. Why they stopped this is a mystery. Their reasoning they said is that they wanted people to pick their stuff up and still connect it to the traditional store. As everyone knows they’ve now just made the experience of shopping in the store a disaster.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Guessing yours are smaller stores/small town? Guess my perspective comes from the metro, where the big Hy-Vees (Urbandale/now Grimes) have 3-5x the selection of Fareway on just about every item they each sell, it's not close. And everytime I've gone to Fareway (usually for meat), the overall prices aren't much if at all lower than Hy-Vee.

I don't have an issue walking right past those sections I don't use, but it is nice to be able to get my groceries, beer, dog food, medicine/vitamins, shampoo/deodorant, TP and sometimes even dinner if I don't feel like cooking - all in one place.

Yes, a smaller town. They fired all the butchers two years ago at Hy-Vee so you can only get pre-packaged meat. And items that you buy by the number as opposed to weight, like brats, cost more and weigh less at Hy-Vee. I needed a seasoning for a recipe that I only ever found on Amazon or at Fareway. And I love that Fareway will sell me three pieces of bacon when I need that for fresh green beans or go find the exact weight turkey I want in the back and they always have whole chickens.

Reactions: NWICY

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
At least some of that is Publix, also better than Hy-Vee. Those might all be places that sell Yuengling.
We have Publix here in NC, I might have a terrible one but I'd rank it behind both Teeter Harris and Food Lion that I went to so far.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We have Publix here in NC, I might have a terrible one but I'd rank it behind both Teeter Harris and Food Lion that I went to so far.

I have only been to my son’s in Orlando and it is awesome. I also like how easy it is to order stuff for his birthday online.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
You just described Walmart :chris:
Ha! For the most part, yeah, other than the fresh dinner part (don't know any Walmart that has Chinese or any of that like Hy-Vee). Also Hy-Vee is much cleaner/better experience than Walmart.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

Delete your account. This is CF, where we pay cash for cars and hate HyVee. No exceptions allowed.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes, a smaller town. They fired all the butchers two years ago at Hy-Vee so you can only get pre-packaged meat. And items that you buy by the number as opposed to weight, like brats, cost more and weigh less at Hy-Vee. I needed a seasoning for a recipe that I only ever found on Amazon or at Fareway. And I love that Fareway will sell me three pieces of bacon when I need that for fresh green beans or go find the exact weight turkey I want in the back and they always have whole chickens.
3 pieces of bacon, carvers? Buy a pound or two, you will like it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
3 pieces of bacon, carvers? Buy a pound or two, you will like it.

Keeping my arteries clean to outlive you.;)

Unless one of the sons is around, we don’t go through much bacon.

But it does make garden green beans pretty tasty.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Ha! For the most part, yeah, other than the fresh dinner part (don't know any Walmart that has Chinese or any of that like Hy-Vee). Also Hy-Vee is much cleaner/better experience than Walmart.

Our closest Wal Mart has a fresh food section. Pizza by the slice, fried chicken, fried shrimp, mashed potatoes, veggies, Mac n cheese, etc. I’ve eaten it in a pinch and it’s not good but it’s not horrible either.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines

Ah yes, Publix, Harris Teeter, Piggly Wiggly, Winn Dixie, Food Lion… people complain about Hy-Vee up here but there’s some pretty strange options in the Southeast. Maybe they’ve gotten better since the 90s.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Ah yes, Publix, Harris Teeter, Piggly Wiggly, Winn Dixie, Food Lion… people complain about Hy-Vee up here but there’s some pretty strange options in the Southeast. Maybe they’ve gotten better since the 90s.
I miss Piggly Wiggly advertising on the Milwaukee Brewers tv games. Shop the Pig!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Don't know their footprint but I've always liked Meijer and Giant Eagle stores when traveling.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
IMO… it used to be fresher. Now it always seems hours old.

It used to have a little more of a flour bottom and the appearance of at least being fresh dough and hand tossed. Now it is made from premise crust.

They used to have more variety on the rack, but now I hope you like sausage or pepperoni.

Should I go on?

Used to be fresher? I mean it’s not like they’re making it and than not putting it in the warmer for two hours, obviously you’re just not there at peak times.

Crust has never been a highlight of Casey’s pizza and I haven’t noticed it being worse than it used to be.

The last Casey’s I was in had 4-5 varieties in the rack. Some varieties like supreme and taco you never see in there I’m assuming because they don’t sell or hold up as well.

I have noticed a difference in quality of pizza at certain locations so maybe you’re just going to the wrong ones.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
One of the butchers at Fareway calls me sweetie, I think cause I am an old lady. Our Hy-Vee has no butchers, just pre-packed crap.

Fareway has good selection of local beers

Fareways beer, wine and liquor selection can’t touch the modern HyVees.