ESPN non-coverage is atrocious

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There's little to no coverage on CBS either, folks.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm past getting mad anymore, but if you really like to be mad then get mad at Iowa's #1 newspaper. The Des Moines Register has no story on Iowa State's thrashing of the #9 team in the nation.

Finally convinced husband to at least go to solely online on subscription after non coverage of our fabulous cross country teams. If it were up to me, I would dump that too. Randy’s crap alone is worth canceling that rag.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm past getting mad anymore, but if you really like to be mad then get mad at Iowa's #1 newspaper. The Des Moines Register has no story on Iowa State's thrashing of the #9 team in the nation.

Well, when you only have a 5 person crew to write the stories, edit them, and setup the printer you have to set your deadline well before the 10:30 finish.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy83ag and SaraV

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Thought I would jump on to the world wide leader’s website for news but could find not a single headline on our astonishing gutting of a top ten team after basically winning zero games last two years. Found highlights buried down low somewhere. EF ESPN. Ill avoid them from now on.

**** ESPN

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
Good points and all that but but bear in mind I clicked on NCAAM. It’s worse than some people realize I think. I don’t expect to get more attention than Dukeor KU but thought there would be a headline. Such a deliberate panning to include headlines for OSU-MICHIGAN football in the mens bball section. But who knows maybe we will get a surprising writeup

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
ESPN is a national company. They will post stories they think will get clicks. Kansas losing is more interesting than Memphis. Iona, with a brand like Rick Pitino and the rareness of a team of that caliber beating a top ten team, is more notable. Yes, we care about beating a top 10 team and it is interesting regionally. If we keep winning, it becomes a story due to the turn around. Still a bit early for that. And would probably be posted on a day when there is less immediate news.

The vast majority of the public is media illiterate.

mspeggy

Jun 16, 2015
I think the Des Moines Register goes to press at around 7 p.m. ISU did not start until 8:30 p.m. Anything after the 7 p.m. on Friday's deadline will be reported on and analyzed in Sunday's paper. Also, I would guess that Randy Peterson was in Ames covering football and I do not know where Travis Hines was.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
One of the top articles on ESPN basketball page this am is Juwan Howard excited for OSU-MU football game today.

What a trash publication and they deserve everything that will inevitably happen to them.

Reactions: Montgomery-Magic

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I think the Des Moines Register goes to press at around 7 p.m. ISU did not start until 8:30 p.m. Anything after the 7 p.m. on Friday's deadline will be reported on and analyzed in Sunday's paper. Also, I would guess that Randy Peterson was in Ames covering football and I do not know where Travis Hines was.
And we wonder why newspapers are a dying industry.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Nobody reads that piece of crap anyway!

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
I don’t know what took place to get those 2 high school kids into college, but I would like to see their transcripts something smells fishy there! One is still 17 and the other one just turned 18 not long ago!

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Surprised there wasn't more mention of them last night in the ISU game but they were busy humping the table over Memphis.

I was pretty creeped out by the practice footage they’d frequently cut to of Memphis and Larry Brown. 81-year-olds wearing joggers is a sight that won’t leave me anytime soon.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Has ESPN even had time to choose their player to fall absolutely in love with and talk non-stop about yet (Simmons, Zion, Trae Young, etc)?

Reactions: xboxfever

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
And we wonder why newspapers are a dying industry.
When I saw your first comment about this game not being reported by the Register, maybe not long after 9:00 AM, I went to their site and saw this article linked in the upper right corner of their homepage:

Below the author's name it says "published at 8:02 AM" (maybe just the photos?), and after that, "updated at 9:09 AM."

Again, the link when I first went there was in the upper right corner of their homepage (under Top Headlines). When I went there just now, it is no longer on their homepage -- in either the upper right corner, or under the sports section on the homepage. I had to click on the link to their Sports section to find the headline listed there. I found this part interesting: "Otzelberger, who prides himself on avoiding social media and not paying any attention to what traditional media says or writes ..." [emphasis added].

Here are a couple of paragraphs:

... As flashy as the Cyclones’ start has been (especially relative to recent history), doesn’t there have to be some colorful backstory to match? Gotta be, right?

Wrong. In fact, Otzelberger says it’s pretty much the exact opposite.

“We’re kinda boring,” he said late Friday, following the 78-59 win over Penny Hardaway’s team full of high-profile players. “We do the same thing every day. We preached to our guys on a daily basis that their habits will carry them when we get to the game. We’ve got a group that committed to getting up early all summer. A group that every day comes to work with a great work ethic, a great attitude.

“But, yeah, we have a routine . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: CyclonePigskin

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
When I saw your first comment about this game not being reported by the Register, maybe not long after 9:00 AM, I went to their site and saw this article linked in the upper right corner of their homepage:

Below the author's name it says "published at 8:02 AM" (maybe just the photos?), and then after that, "updated at 9:09 AM."

Again, the link when I went there was in the upper right corner of their homepage (under Top Headlines). When I went there just now, it is no longer on their homepage -- in either the upper right, or under the sports section on the homepage. I had to click on their Sports section to find the headline listed under their Sports section. I found this part interesting, "Otzelberger, who prides himself on avoiding social media and not paying any attention to what traditional media says or writes" [emphasis added].

Here are a couple of paragraphs:

I love that "we're kind of boring". He is right. It is old fashioned motion offense. It seems everyone has adopted some form of Hoiball that this type of Johnny Orr offense seems new. People have a hard time defending it. Like the fact they look better against the zone as well. As was said in another thread.......Johnny offense and Tony Bennett defense. Old fashion basketball at it's best.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I love that we hang out hats on our defense. I think it's kind of like baseball where good pitching usually beats good hitting.

Reactions: Yaz

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Good points and all that but but bear in mind I clicked on NCAAM. It’s worse than some people realize I think. I don’t expect to get more attention than Dukeor KU but thought there would be a headline. Such a deliberate panning to include headlines for OSU-MICHIGAN football in the mens bball section. But who knows maybe we will get a surprising writeup
I don't think people understand how much ESPN cut their staff as well. Not that that should be an excuse, but I can see they'll put the labor where it's most effective.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron