ESPN non-coverage is atrocious

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
I don't think people understand how much ESPN cut their staff as well. Not that that should be an excuse, but I can see they'll put the labor where it's most effective.

I can hear that. Maybe it’s not a conspiracy but partly an issue with resources.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I can hear that. Maybe it’s not a conspiracy but partly an issue with resources.
It's not only ESPN. CBS didn't have a story on their NCAA basketball homepage. Neither did SI. People around here are very quick to blame ESPN for having it out for us. And maybe they do. But threads like this make our fanbase look ignorant and silly.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I don't think people understand how much ESPN cut their staff as well. Not that that should be an excuse, but I can see they'll put the labor where it's most effective.
Maybe instead of paying SEC football teams $200 million (or whatever their going to get) per year each they could cut it to $199 million and hire a couple dozen people to cover, you know, sports news.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
It’s not even an ISU deal for me.
After a long day I’d like to sit down and watch sport center and catch highlights of every P6 football game and basketball games.
However you can turn it on today and it’s 30 minutes on duke gonzaga and 30 minutes on the Lakers.

Reactions: agentbear

OtownClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2021
Not directing this at anyone: I can understand if a site like ESPN is not giving the content you want, that you stop going to it, and even are critical of it. I scratch my head when I see anyone that seems to be looking for some kind of slight against our programs or any excuse to be angry and vindictive. I think in part, those folks need to change their expectations. And maybe don’t look for validation from national media. Take these people off a pedestal. This stuff is for entertainment. It is possible to be passionate about our college sports programs and care about winning while not letting it creep into your self worth.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'm past getting mad anymore, but if you really like to be mad then get mad at Iowa's #1 newspaper. The Des Moines Register has no story on Iowa State's thrashing of the #9 team in the nation.

None?
Really?

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
ESPN favs:

1.Lebron and Lakers
2.SEC football
3. ACC basketball
4. Dallas Cowboys
Their coverage is this in order

1. LeBron
2. Ohio State football
3. Big name SEC schools (football)
4. Duke basketball

5. Everything else

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
None?
Really?
While the national media outlets had done articles on the game that same evening, there was no DM Register article on the game at the time this post was made, which was the morning after the game. Later that morning, an article did appear in the Register.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Quite honestly, ESPN would do well to 'regionalize' their coverage. It's a frickin web site. As a web-site developer I know it can't be that difficult. Of course, as an ESPN subscriber, my front page is personalized, but it doesn't go far enough. They need to assume 'conference' is next in importance. And then need to loop in the regional fan web sites (eg CycloneFanatic). There's so much they can do for, relatively, little money. Let the fans write their content and then let them publish what they want of it. It's a guaranteed money maker.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I love that "we're kind of boring". He is right. It is old fashioned motion offense. It seems everyone has adopted some form of Hoiball that this type of Johnny Orr offense seems new. People have a hard time defending it. Like the fact they look better against the zone as well. As was said in another thread.......Johnny offense and Tony Bennett defense. Old fashion basketball at it's best.

Just like football: it doesn't have to be complicated to be effective if it's done really well.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
While the national media outlets had done articles on the game that same evening, there was no DM Register article on the game at the time this post was made, which was the morning after the game. Later that morning, an article did appear in the Register.

It was there by the time you posted about this again in this thread, at 9:36 AM. You just weren’t aware of it when you posted in this thread. You hadn’t rechecked. Or if you had, you didn’t see it. No biggie. When I referred to your first comment on this topic, in my post above, I was referring to your post in the game day thread, which was prior to your posts in this thread. That I saw your post in the game thread is why I commented about the photos. I checked and saw the article then — when I saw your comment in the game thread — but didn’t link or comment about it then.

The last time stamp for that article is 9:09 AM, which I believe is accurate, is prior to when you posted in this thread. I don’t know for sure, but I might have seen the article before 9 AM. Though not certain, I have a pretty good idea because I was at a cafe.

Below I’ll link to my post above for anyone interested in reading the article. It is written by Jason Munz, who, if you click on his name, you can see is a Tiger Basketball Beat Writer for the Memphis Commercial Appeal, I believe, which like the Register, I believe, is part of Gannett.

It also has a photo gallery at the top.

When I saw your first comment about this game not being reported by the Register, maybe not long after 9:00 AM, I went to their site and saw this article linked in the upper right corner of their homepage:

Below the author's name it says "published at 8:02 AM" (maybe just the photos?), and after that, "updated at 9:09 AM."

Again, the link when I first went there was in the upper right corner of their homepage (under Top Headlines). When I went there just now, it is no longer on their homepage -- in either the upper right corner, or under the sports section on the homepage. I had to click on the link to their Sports section to find the headline listed there. I found this part interesting: "Otzelberger, who prides himself on avoiding social media and not paying any attention to what traditional media says or writes ..." [emphasis added].

Here are a couple of paragraphs:

Below is another article yesterday at the DMR website with game highlights via Twitter (and photo gallery):

I watched the Twitter highlights yesterday. Kunc’s is pretty good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron