*** Official IOWA STATE vs #13 Oklahoma Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
I’ve been maintaining the belief that we were massively underachieving this whole season, but I really no longer believe that. I finally have come to terms that we were in fact overrated all along. I wanted to believe we were at top 10 level team, but we never were.

I think if we replay this season 10 times. We probably end up with an average of 4 losses. OU, Baylor, OSU and Iowa are all better teams than us. I think this year we stole one from OSU and got upset in 2 road games. Re-run the over under and i still think it comes out to 4 losses for us.
Ending up with 5 losses really isn’t that far off from what should have been the correct expectation.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I’ve been maintaining the belief that we were massively underachieving this whole season, but I really no longer believe that. I finally have come to terms that we were in fact overrated all along. I wanted to believe we were at top 10 level team, but we never were.

I think if we replay this season 10 times. We probably end up with an average of 4 losses. OU, Baylor, OSU and Iowa are all better teams than us. I think this year we stole one from OSU and got upset in 2 road games. Re-run the over under and i still think it comes out to 4 losses for us.
Ending up with 5 losses really isn’t that far off from what should have been the correct expectation.
ISU took the field this year, with a 1st team All American running back in Hall, Purdy is going to end up with every QB record at ISU when he is finished, we have a pre-season All American at TE, plus another starter at TE in Allen, the entire offensive line and one of the better receivers in the conference.

On the defensive side of the ball we returned the conference defensive player of year in Rose, plus the other two starters, a player that is going to set the school record in sacks, plus kids that got numerous reps last year, and our two best dbacks.

In every game we lost, it was the same script, get behind a TD or two and then in the second half, make adjustments and try to win the game. Coaches make their money getting playing into the program and improving them, Manning's play calling is holding us back, and on the defensive side, we have to act like OSU, that took our idea and improved on it.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
So you pick ONE WORD out of my post and branch off in a completely different direction. If we don't suck enough as fans because there's some disappointment with the way the season has gone, there's also the fact that we haven't donated enough.

I bet you're a blast at parties.

Haha. It’s a common theme. With Iowa state fans, i never hear it from. anyone else. I mean literally no one else pats themselves on the back for donating money than Iowa State fans.

People expecting the coaches to publicly flog themselves for not meeting their expectations is a common trait amongst fan bases, however normally it’s at places that have had a lot more success than the 11 bowl games Iowa State has in their Wikipedia page.

expecting, demanding staff changes from a coach that preaches loyalty, well, it may happen. But it’s not likely. Maybe we will catch a break and manning will get a Mac job in Ohio, but who knows.

oh, and I am a lot of fun, not just at parties either

• Dislike
Reactions: Itjustdoesn'tmatter

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
ISU took the field this year, with a 1st team All American running back in Hall, Purdy is going to end up with every QB record at ISU when he is finished, we have a pre-season All American at TE, plus another starter at TE in Allen, the entire offensive line and one of the better receivers in the conference.

On the defensive side of the ball we returned the conference defensive player of year in Rose, plus the other two starters, a player that is going to set the school record in sacks, plus kids that got numerous reps last year, and our two best dbacks.

In every game we lost, it was the same script, get behind a TD or two and then in the second half, make adjustments and try to win the game. Coaches make their money getting playing into the program and improving them, Manning's play calling is holding us back, and on the defensive side, we have to act like OSU, that took our idea and improved on it.

That can all be true but doesn’t mean we are a 10 win team just because we have 7-9 elite players. Our OL is one of the worst in the conference, our CBs cannot defend most of the WRs in the conference, and after Hutchinson we had no other WR that could beat single coverage. Those were glaring weaknesses that other teams were able to exploit. We are an easy team to beat by loading the box, getting pressure on the QB, forcing turnovers, and then throwing jump balls and deep balls to tall WRs or picking us apart with short methodical drives.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Why do Iowa State fans always congratulate themselves for donating when it’s a new phenomenon.

I mean the projected non media revenue was estimated between $51 - $56 million this year

only $22ish million of that is from the foundation.

you look at the budget increase over the years, and it’s almost all directly tied to increase in TV revenue.

i mean yes people are buying tickets, so that is definitely commitment, but the donor base has never really been P5 level

I hope that it really gets better, because there is likely going to be a decrease in tv revenue in a short time.

Write as big a check as you want it's a personal choice.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Write as big a check as you want it's a personal choice.

I do. I don’t even live where I can take advantage of my donation level.

i just don’t congratulate myself because I’ve donated a bunch of money to my schools athletic department over the last 24 years.

A lot of Iowa State fans, who I would bet are behind me in both time and amount sure want to let everyone know how much they’ve done the last 5-6 years, when they had unprecedented success on the field

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Haha. It’s a common theme. With Iowa state fans, i never hear it from. anyone else. I mean literally no one else pats themselves on the back for donating money than Iowa State fans.

People expecting the coaches to publicly flog themselves for not meeting their expectations is a common trait amongst fan bases, however normally it’s at places that have had a lot more success than the 11 bowl games Iowa State has in their Wikipedia page.

expecting, demanding staff changes from a coach that preaches loyalty, well, it may happen. But it’s not likely. Maybe we will catch a break and manning will get a Mac job in Ohio, but who knows.

oh, and I am a lot of fun, not just at parties either

I implied, and again, in a very passing manner, that financial ties to an athletic department adds a layer to fans' interest/passion. It takes some serious keyboard gymnastics to take that to me somehow patting myself on the back, but that seems to be your specialty. I have friends and/or family members who are alums of UW Madison, Minnesota, K-State, Kansas, Mizzou and Nebraska, and I don't talk to any of them that often. EVERY...SINGLE....ONE OF THEM will discuss donation levels when the topic of college athletics comes up. Some discussions are humble brags like your subsequent post and some are bitchy, but I can't imagine what bubble you're living in if you don't think it's a topic among other fan bases.

It's good to see you're still beating the drum on Campbell's presser and acting like there is some vast majority of fans here who called it into question. I think you'd scramble to find a half dozen posters who even mentioned it, but good on you for pounding it into the ground for the last week.

Yes, Campbell is loyal, and yes, that's part of what makes him a great person and football coach, but you can't undersell the fact that fans are disappointed with this season. When your O-line regresses (I believe Campbell was the one who said it's the best O-line group he's ever coached so he fed his own monster there) and your offensive play calling leaves people scratching their heads, those coaches will be questioned. I don't need Wiki to tell me our history is crap (thanks Capt. Obvious) but that doesn't mean those guys are going to get a pass from people on a freaking message board. Is that really SO bad? Are people camping in front of Campbell's house, or picketing the football facility calling for their heads? No. It's a bunch of nobodies specifically discussing our football program. Give them something good to talk about and it subsides.

You're every bit as entitled to your opinion as me or anyone else on this board, but the preachy, "here's why you just don't get it" **** just gets really old.

Reactions: JM4CY

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I'd also accept giving Manning a headset that doesn't connect to anything and having someone else call plays on a working headset.
Isn't this similar to what the Beach Boys did to Murry Wilson after a point...they gave him a mixing console that wasn't connected to anything but a local set of headphones to let him think he was in control...or maybe that is just a myth.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You know just thinking.....last year in the CCG Young was DQ'd for hitting the OU receiver in his head with this shoulder. Why wasn't the OU defensive lineman treated the same after launching his shoulder into Purdy's head?

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019

Not just this year, overwhelming majority of our loses have been close since 2017.

The negative factor in overwhelming of those loses the offense.

But the offense broke so many records being average or below average, because for decades we have been bad, with a few good seasons sprinkled in.

Reactions: cyfanatic