*** Official IOWA STATE vs #13 Oklahoma Game(Day) Thread ***

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Who said anyone is happy with 7-5?

Building a program at a place that’s never had any success is not a smooth process. Little detail things have led to losses, and it’s how you turn a 9-2 or 10-1 team into a 6-5 team.

But have some perspective. Look at what’s happened here in just 6 years. This program had never made more than two consecutive bowl games, now we’re going to our 5th in a row

I don’t feel sorry one bit for the fans, especially the drama sky is falling sect.

I don’t feel sorry for the coaches, this is their livelihoods, and they know the risks.

I feel for the kids that have worked so hard only to come up just short.

And also be careful what you wish for.
doesn't take away from any of your points but we did make 3 bowl games in a row under Mac. 2000, 2001, and 2002. Plus Bruce had 3 8-3 seasons. There were not as many bowl games and they did not get an invite one year despite finishing high in the conference.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
actually, it’s more along the lines of all of the keyboard madden champions mad because he didn't apologize for letting them down for going 6-5 this year.

Also, everyone expects him to stop being who he is, which is incredibly loyal to his staff and players, seem to be upset too

so what will be your thoughts if and/or when no changes are made to the staff next season?

Things don't happen in a vacuum. Fans are asked to buy in both financially and emotionally and this fan base does both in spades. We came off a 9 win season with almost everyone back and the coaching staff intact and went from preseason top 10 to six wins in late November. We had another no-show September and left two wins on the table at WVU and TT where we were the better team by any measure. Does it happen? Sure, but people are disappointed. Do you honestly expect this board to be all sunshine and rainbows at this point?

I'm not going to play amateur phycologist but I'd be more worried if there weren't some threads that had a little venting. Disappointment is better than apathy (ask Prohm) but somebody has to bear the brunt of a passionate fanbase on the interweb and it's better to have it be the guys making all the zeroes than the players. Our poor history probably makes it worse. I think there's a lot of "if not this year, when?" out there. Some people express it publicly and some don't. That doesn't mean anybody hates Campbell or questions his will to win. The "Coach Speak" thread was completely blown out of proportion and that crap would go away a lot faster if there weren't condescending MENSA candidates like you on here pontificating to the underlings and throwing dumb ratings at anyone who expresses the slightest bit of frustration.

Aaaaand 69's umpteenth dumb rating of the last week in 3......2........1.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My thoughts will still be wondering what happens in August to lead to such a weird September.

And as the Big 12 continues to play more from the inside I'll wonder if a 4-3 is a better defensive foundation.

Seems like this might be true. Not exactly an air raid conference right now.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
6-5 nice Process not working!!
Maybe the process is working, maybe it isn’t. But using their record as the measuring stick shows you are 100% clueless about what The Process actually is or what it is supposed to do.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Lineup

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Why are you responding to my post from yesterday, that you already responded to yesterday?

I can't imagine being so fragile-minded as to equate literally any criticism of a person with wanting them gone. You can love Matt Campbell and acknowledge some glaring flaws.
I had a couple of coaches in different sports that were constantly on my rear end and they both told me if they didn't think I was worth it they wouldn't have paid any attention to me. Kind of like people criticizing CMC, it's not because they hate him but because they think he can become a better version of himself. Unfortunately my coaches were wrong I wasn't worth the time!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I had a couple of coaches in different sports that were constantly on my rear end and they both told me if they didn't think I was worth it they wouldn't have paid any attention to me. Kind of like people criticizing CMC, it's not because they hate him but because they think he can become a better version of himself. Unfortunately my coaches were wrong I wasn't worth the time!

We aren’t Campbell’s ******* coach. The analogy you use doesn’t make any sense.

If you are a construction engineer you don’t want a finance person telling you how to build something. Even if they are big fans of your building.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I know they all took their lumps in other games but I can't concede the talent level was all that different with TT, WV or Iowa, especially on the outside with WV and Tech and the trenches with all 3.

I was still pretty impressed with Tech's Dline last night.
We returned 90% of the players from a team that the year before went 9-3, the entire Oline came back and they still are struggling to block people, we have one of the best RB in the country that was an All American last year, and we are having trouble getting him to the line without getting hit.

Its year 6 of this staff, by now we should be rolling, its the second year for the Baylor staff and look how they are playing. How long do we have to keep low expectations because we do not have much of a football history? Those day are in the past, why do people keep bringing it back up as an excuse for a disappointing season.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We returned 90% of the players from a team that the year before went 9-3, the entire Oline came back and they still are struggling to block people, we have one of the best RB in the country that was an All American last year, and we are having trouble getting him to the line without getting hit.

Its year 6 of this staff, by now we should be rolling, its the second year for the Baylor staff and look how they are playing. How long do we have to keep low expectations because we do not have much of a football history? Those day are in the past, why do people keep bringing it back up as an excuse for a disappointing season.

Who said my expectations are low?

I just didn't see ISU as having much of a talent advantage in those games.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones1969

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
We aren’t Campbell’s ******* coach. The analogy you use doesn’t make any sense.

If you are a construction engineer you don’t want a finance person telling you how to build something. Even if they are big fans of your building.
You seriously need to chill out.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Who said my expectations are low?

I just didn't see ISU as having much of a talent advantage in those games.
Baylor is always more talented than us. They have had two incredibly fast turnarounds under 2 different regimes in the amount of time Campbell has been in Ames. It is good coaching sure, but also has a lot to do with having a full cupboard

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Baylor is always more talented than us. They have had two incredibly fast turnarounds under 2 different regimes in the amount of time Campbell has been in Ames. It is good coaching sure, but also has a lot to do with having a full cupboard
Don’t forget that’s also coming off of the death penalty with pretty much no scholarships on the team..

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

Baylor has a great recruiting location as a school in Texas, has been able to hire some great coaches, has had much greater historical success than we have (in the last decade), and obviously is able to sweep scandals under the rug with little repurcussion.

Their ability to recruit better than we have is still their biggest advantage though.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
doesn't take away from any of your points but we did make 3 bowl games in a row under Mac. 2000, 2001, and 2002. Plus Bruce had 3 8-3 seasons. There were not as many bowl games and they did not get an invite one year despite finishing high in the conference.

you’re right, I forgot Boise at end of Seneca’s sr year. RIP Cris Love

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Things don't happen in a vacuum. Fans are asked to buy in both financially and emotionally and this fan base does both in spades. We came off a 9 win season with almost everyone back and the coaching staff intact and went from preseason top 10 to six wins in late November. We had another no-show September and left two wins on the table at WVU and TT where we were the better team by any measure. Does it happen? Sure, but people are disappointed. Do you honestly expect this board to be all sunshine and rainbows at this point?

I'm not going to play amateur phycologist but I'd be more worried if there weren't some threads that had a little venting. Disappointment is better than apathy (ask Prohm) but somebody has to bear the brunt of a passionate fanbase on the interweb and it's better to have it be the guys making all the zeroes than the players. Our poor history probably makes it worse. I think there's a lot of "if not this year, when?" out there. Some people express it publicly and some don't. That doesn't mean anybody hates Campbell or questions his will to win. The "Coach Speak" thread was completely blown out of proportion and that crap would go away a lot faster if there weren't condescending MENSA candidates like you on here pontificating to the underlings and throwing dumb ratings at anyone who expresses the slightest bit of frustration.

Aaaaand 69's umpteenth dumb rating of the last week in 3......2........1.

Why do Iowa State fans always congratulate themselves for donating when it’s a new phenomenon.

I mean the projected non media revenue was estimated between $51 - $56 million this year

only $22ish million of that is from the foundation.

you look at the budget increase over the years, and it’s almost all directly tied to increase in TV revenue.

i mean yes people are buying tickets, so that is definitely commitment, but the donor base has never really been P5 level

I hope that it really gets better, because there is likely going to be a decrease in tv revenue in a short time.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Why do Iowa State fans always congratulate themselves for donating when it’s a new phenomenon.

I mean the projected non media revenue was estimated between $51 - $56 million this year

only $22ish million of that is from the foundation.

you look at the budget increase over the years, and it’s almost all directly tied to increase in TV revenue.

i mean yes people are buying tickets, so that is definitely commitment, but the donor base has never really been P5 level

I hope that it really gets better, because there is likely going to be a decrease in tv revenue in a short time.

So you pick ONE WORD out of my post and branch off in a completely different direction. If we don't suck enough as fans because there's some disappointment with the way the season has gone, there's also the fact that we haven't donated enough.

I bet you're a blast at parties.

Help Support Us

Become a patron