*** Official IOWA STATE vs #13 Oklahoma Game(Day) Thread ***

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Here is an interesting fact: it has been 100 years since the last time Texas has traveled outside their state to play Oklahoma, but every other team in the Big 12 doesn't get that luxury.

• Informative
Reactions: cygrads and Rogue52

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I hope people understand that this OL is not close to being a solid Big 12 unit. Not close. Most disappointing was the WVU game when they were running simple 3 and 4 man HS level stunts and they were totally lost.
To the naked eye, they are also small ish compared to other P5 units that you see

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
There are two games that we had no business losing. West Virginia and Tech. As I have repeatedly said, before those games Campbell hadn't lost to a conference team that he shouldn't have. The law of averages caught up to us on that.

Baylor and Oklahoma are both very good teams that we COULD have beat and in some ways should have beat, but losing to them is not some huge damnation on the team or the coaches.
Agree we had no business losing to Tech or WVU but we were actually throughly defeated by those 2 teams. At least vs OU and Baylor I think we actually won the game on paper, just not on the score board. Baylor ultimately decided on Special teams, OU on a broken play/ wild scramble by their QB and/or insane fumble return td by them. 2 fluke plays ended up being the difference

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Agree we had no business losing to Tech or WVU but we were actually throughly defeated by those 2 teams. At least vs OU and Baylor I think we actually won the game on paper, just not on the score board. Baylor ultimately decided on Special teams, OU on a broken play/ wild scramble by their QB and/or insane fumble return td by them. 2 fluke plays ended up being the difference

Right, except I don’t think we can completely ignore the affect the refs had on West Virginia.

And my point was that those are games campbell has never lost here. It sucks it happened this year and I assume Campbell will look at them to make sure it doesn’t happen frequently in the future. But **** sometimes happens.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
You're right, if we criticize Campbell he might leave for a better job with a fan base that doesn't criticize its coach.

Like I said, there will be plenty of programs willing to take him off our hands if you don’t want him

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yeah, we have had no success the last 5 years at all.
No one has said that we have not had success, but is anyone happy sitting at 6-5 after 11 games? Does TT, WV or even EIU have a more talented team than we do this year, I think not. But we still lost to all three, losing to OU on the road is one thing, losing to the other three totally different.

This was supposed to be the year we took that next step, instead we have slide backwards. We lose most of the starters to graduation or leaving early, and while we may look forward to next year, that is the season we will end up 7-5, not this year, but here we sit.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
No one has said that we have not had success, but is anyone happy sitting at 6-5 after 11 games? Does TT, WV or even EIU have a more talented team than we do this year, I think not. But we still lost to all three, losing to OU on the road is one thing, losing to the other three totally different.

This was supposed to be the year we took that next step, instead we have slide backwards. We lose most of the starters to graduation or leaving early, and while we may look forward to next year, that is the season we will end up 7-5, not this year, but here we sit.

Who said anyone is happy with 7-5?

Building a program at a place that’s never had any success is not a smooth process. Little detail things have led to losses, and it’s how you turn a 9-2 or 10-1 team into a 6-5 team.

But have some perspective. Look at what’s happened here in just 6 years. This program had never made more than two consecutive bowl games, now we’re going to our 5th in a row

I don’t feel sorry one bit for the fans, especially the drama sky is falling sect.

I don’t feel sorry for the coaches, this is their livelihoods, and they know the risks.

I feel for the kids that have worked so hard only to come up just short.

And also be careful what you wish for.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Like I said, there will be plenty of programs willing to take him off our hands if you don’t want him

Why are you responding to my post from yesterday, that you already responded to yesterday?

I can't imagine being so fragile-minded as to equate literally any criticism of a person with wanting them gone. You can love Matt Campbell and acknowledge some glaring flaws.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Are there really any programs where fans don't criticize the coach? That won't be why MC leaves ISU. Leaving for a job he feels is better will be why.

Reactions: Macloney

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Building a program at a place that’s never had any success is not a smooth process. Little detail things have led to losses, and it’s how you turn a 9-2 or 10-1 team into a 6-5 team.

But have some perspective. Look at what’s happened here in just 6 years. This program had never made more than two consecutive bowl games, now we’re going to our 5th in a row

I don’t feel sorry one bit for the fans, especially the drama sky is falling sect.

I don’t feel sorry for the coaches, this is their livelihoods, and they know the risks.

And who has actually said they want Campbell gone? It hasn't stopped you from lecturing people all week as though there are dozens of people on here calling for his head.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I know they all took their lumps in other games but I can't concede the talent level was all that different with TT, WV or Iowa, especially on the outside with WV and Tech and the trenches with all 3.

I was still pretty impressed with Tech's Dline last night.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Lot's of people have said that, but 69 is beating the drum that people want Campbell out. I have seen literally no one that's said that.

actually, it’s more along the lines of all of the keyboard madden champions mad because he didn't apologize for letting them down for going 6-5 this year.

Also, everyone expects him to stop being who he is, which is incredibly loyal to his staff and players, seem to be upset too

so what will be your thoughts if and/or when no changes are made to the staff next season?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
actually, it’s more along the lines of all of the keyboard madden champions mad because he didn't apologize for letting them down for going 6-5 this year.

Also, everyone expects him to stop being who he is, which is incredibly loyal to his staff and players, seem to be upset too

so what will be your thoughts if and/or when no changes are made to the staff next season?

My thoughts will still be wondering what happens in August to lead to such a weird September.

And as the Big 12 continues to play more from the inside I'll wonder if a 4-3 is a better defensive foundation.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
My thoughts will still be wondering what happens in August to lead to such a weird September.

And as the Big 12 continues to play more from the inside I'll wonder if a 4-3 is a better defensive foundation.

It’s gotta be more than just august that leads to flat starts in the non con and first week of the big 12 season

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Kids? How old are Kolar and Purdy? 22? Allen is like, 30 or something. They're not kids. And now they are making money. So, definitely not kids.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It’s gotta be more than just august that leads to flat starts in the non con and first week of the big 12 season

Whatever it is, it's strange.

Although some of the weirdness was still there yesterday. Just kind of erratic with timing between plays on offense, etc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That side of the ball has consistently had problems with clock management

Even when clock doesn't need to be managed.

Just no 'get to it and get it done' in the flow.

Honestly the most I've seen that was for Hutchinson after the penalty vs. OSU.