Kyle Green Hired

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Recruiting was not Prohms problem. He brought in plenty of good players.
No but he could have missed less too. There were high level recruits and transfers who didn’t come here because Prohm refused to get his hands dirty like the rest of college basketball.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
Recruiting was not Prohms problem. He brought in plenty of good players.

Uhh yes it was. Hitting a couple home runs does not absolve the likes of Dudley Blackwell, Luke Anderson, Mercedes Leach, Jaden Walker, etc. Not to mention the abysmal transfer market recruiting. Prohm didn't once land a top 25 recruiting class. I'd say recruiting WAS a problem

Reactions: cyclones7

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Uhh yes it was. Hitting a couple home runs does not absolve the likes of Dudley Blackwell, Luke Anderson, Mercedes Leach, Jaden Walker, etc. Not to mention the abysmal transfer market recruiting. Prohm didn't once land a top 25 recruiting class. I'd say recruiting WAS a problem

We haven’t had a top 25 class going back as far as 247 calculates it. Which is over a decade. Prohm topped out at 28th which was our best class in that time frame.

Prohm could get talent; he just lacked the means to mesh it together.

• Winner
Reactions: clone4life82

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007

Actually it does. He recruited two not just NBA caliber players, but potential NBA All Stars in one recruiting class. How many coaches can say that outside of the blue bloods?

You only play 7-8 of the 14 guys on the roster and 2-4 of those are typically role players. Ultimately, you look for 1-2 HR's and realize the rest will need development to see the court. The misses had enough potential to play if they would have put in the work to do so.

To me, recruiting wasn't the problem. It was instilling discipline and the self motivation for each player to max out. He simply was too nice/caring that without an enforcer assistant he couldn't get the short term maxing out on the court nor the long term development to sustain an elite program.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
We haven’t had a top 25 class going back as far as 247 calculates it. Which is over a decade. Prohm topped out at 28th which was our best class in that time frame.

Prohm could get talent; he just lacked the means to mesh it together.
Could he get talent? Yes. Enough? Not even close.

Do Lard, LW, THT & Hali outweigh the ones that didn’t pan out?

I’d say no.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Actually it does. He recruited two not just NBA caliber players, but potential NBA All Stars in one recruiting class. How many coaches can say that outside of the blue bloods?

I hate that we keep litigating Prohm's tenure, but I have distinct proof that he was a not a good recruiter overall. His last two teams which were all his guys absolutely sucked, and were some of the worst teams in ISU basketball history.

The result of good recruiting is good play on the floor.

My wife is a baker. She doesn't buy the cheap ass ingredients because you can taste it on the back end. We tasted Steve's cake the last 2 years and it was something that should have ended up on Nailed It.

• Haha
Reactions: GMackey32

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I hate that we keep litigating Prohm's tenure, but I have distinct proof that he was a not a good recruiter overall. His last two teams which were all his guys absolutely sucked, and were some of the worst teams in ISU basketball history.

The result of good recruiting is good play on the floor.

My wife is a baker. She doesn't buy the cheap ass ingredients because you can taste it on the back end. We tasted Steve's cake the last 2 years and it was something that should have ended up on Nailed It.
Somebody who can't cook can use the best, most expensive ingredients and still put something that isn't even edible on the table.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Don't know if it's Green's department but it was really refreshing to see a team dissect a zone with ball movement. The past recent teams looked like deer in headlights when the zone came out. There was a 3 to 4 min stretch where the team did surgery on the zone last Tues.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Don't know if it's Green's department but it was really refreshing to see a team dissect a zone with ball movement. The past recent teams looked like deer in headlights when the zone came out. There was a 3 to 4 min stretch where the team did surgery on the zone last Tues.
I hate it when people say you need to shoot your way out of a zone. Just jacking up outside shots is exactly what they want you to do when they switch to that zone. It may take a little more work, but penetration can break down a zone defense just as much as it breaks down a man defense.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I hate it when people say you need to shoot your way out of a zone. Just jacking up outside shots is exactly what they want you to do when they switch to that zone. It may take a little more work, but penetration can break down a zone defense just as much as it breaks down a man defense.
A high post and hard cuts to the basket work well too when executed correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A high post and hard cuts to the basket work well too when executed correctly.
Yes. Penetration can be achieved in more than one way. You can penetrate with the ball or you can penetrate without the ball and get the ball when you find a pocket in the zone. Both force the zone to react and open things up for yourself or others to attack a resulting weakness in the zone.