NFL: ***2022 NFL Season Thread***

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Watson has as many playoff wins as Tim Tebow and that game was more about Josh Allen choking that Watson outplaying him. If you want him, this is the right time to buy, I just don't think he has proven a ton yet.

It's pretty laughable that a guy with this many accusations is even being considered as a possibility to play. It's weird this isn't getting more attention.

Reactions: Bigman38

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
A small often injured QB who threw to wide open receivers in college... I'm shocked he's a bust
I don't think Tua will be great.

But using height when Russ and Kyler are fantastic is strange.

And I don't see how completing passes to open players is a bad thing.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I don't think Tua will be great.

But using height when Russ and Kyler are fantastic is strange.

And I don't see how completing passes to open players is a bad thing.

You can't possibly be ignorant enough to believe size doesn't matter in the NFL... Those two are so far of outliers it's insane.

There is a massive reason why qbs from Ohio St, Bama, Georgia and other blue bloods don't work in the NFL. The windows are TINY. If you spent 3-4 years not having to make any tight throws... You'll struggle in the league.

The original post was meant to be read the a short, injured and blue blood QB (together) is a recipe for disaster

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
You can't possibly be ignorant enough to believe size doesn't matter in the NFL... Those two are so far of outliers it's insane.

There is a massive reason why qbs from Ohio St, Bama, Georgia and other blue bloods don't work in the NFL. The windows are TINY. If you spent 3-4 years not having to make any tight throws... You'll struggle in the league.

The original post was meant to be read the a short, injured and blue blood QB (together) is a recipe for disaster
I understand what you're saying about size but I also believe there's inherent bias at work. Scouts and GMs and coaches grew up knowing that tall quarterbacks worked. So shorter players of equal caliber get ignored in high school. Then in college. When it comes to draft time, only the insanely great short QBs are even considered.

There is a sample bias about short QBs potentially at play.

In a similar way we can argue there's a small sample bias at work with blue bloods. There are what, maybe 10 blue blood schools? And 60 other P5 schools. So there's less to work with.

QBs that have recently come from blue blood schools:

Tua
Mac Jones
Trevor Lawrence
Burrow
Fields
Haskins
Herbert

There's probably a couple hits and couple misses and a couple averages guys there.

I agree with your point that an oft-injured QB will be hard pressed to succeed.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Watson has as many playoff wins as Tim Tebow and that game was more about Josh Allen choking that Watson outplaying him. If you want him, this is the right time to buy, I just don't think he has proven a ton yet.

It's pretty laughable that a guy with this many accusations is even being considered as a possibility to play. It's weird this isn't getting more attention.
Not sure why any GM would even consider this PR nightmare.

Next week the Vikings will trade Cousins and a couple of first round picks :jimlad:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not sure why any GM would even consider this PR nightmare.

Next week the Vikings will trade Cousins and a couple of first round picks :jimlad:
It's the NFL.
Do we need to list all of the players who continued their careers after serious crime allegations? It's a very long list. Doesn't make it right, but it's reality.

And for the record, the Tim Tebow comparison is ridiculous. Watson is a legit franchise QB. His NFL career is most likely far from over.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I know and I have never been a fan of that.
But if you want to know why a GM would consider the PR nightmare, I think the answer is pretty clear. A team like Miami, which hasn't been consistently relevant in a long, long time, is more than willing to take the bad PR in exchange for a franchise player.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't think he's a franchise player.
I don't know. For his career averages over 4000 yards passing with 67% completion, 29/10 TD/INT, and another 400 yards and 5 TDS on the ground per season. And he's made the pro bowl every year since his injury shortened rookie season. And statistically, his best season came after he lost Hopkins. A lot of organizations would fall over themselves for that kind of production.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't know. For his career averages over 4000 yards passing with 67% completion, 29/10 TD/INT, and another 400 yards and 5 TDS on the ground per season. And he's made the pro bowl every year since his injury shortened rookie season. And statistically, his best season came after he lost Hopkins. A lot of organizations would fall over themselves for that kind of production.
5.5 sexual assaults per season too, which is right up there with the league best, this guy is just built different.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
5.5 sexual assaults per season too, which is right up there with the league best, this guy is just built different.
I'm definitely not excusing these allegations. I'm saying that given the past actions of NFL teams and their willingness to overlook criminal accusations, a guy with on the field performance like Watson is still going to have a market, even if he's suspended for a season.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm definitely not excusing these allegations. I'm saying that given the past actions of NFL teams and their willingness to overlook criminal accusations, a guy with on the field performance like Watson is still going to have a market, even if he's suspended for a season.

It's all about risk/reward. If you can buy low on a guy with Watson's ability you are taking the chance he gets cleared in some form or fashion where you can create a justification in your own mind for playing him. If he doesn't get cleared, as long as you didn't give up too much you can justify having taken the risk. Trading for him and stashing him until this is resolved isn't that much different than what the Texans have done by not cutting him.