Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think the UH addition is interesting for recruiting.

Clearly if you live in Houston and get an offer from UH & Alabama or Georgia or Texas you likely DON'T go to UH, but how many Houston players are there in places like Arkansas or Miss State? I think some of THOSE players might choose to go to a Power 5 Houston over second tier Sec teams. (or ACC/B1G)

edit: pretty soon, UT will also be considered a second tier Sec team. :)

To be fair, this dude stayed in Houston, literally could have went anywhere he wanted.

Reactions: Win5002

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Two million less than the Alabama-Miami game in the same time slot the week before. The reason I said good, not great, is that there was only one real game for competition in that time slot and it lost to it
You have 35M people in Texas and Colorado and 3.3 M in Iowa. That game has a heck of a head start of viewers to pull from.

That is a lot bigger than any previous ISU vs Ia. game.

Just trying to put some perspective.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Two million less than the Alabama-Miami game in the same time slot the week before. The reason I said good, not great, is that there was only one real game for competition in that time slot and it lost to it
I don't feel comparison's of viewers week-to-week is always apples to apples.

Match ups in lead-in games and opposite matter.

The A&M v CU game opposite the CYHAWK game had OSU v Oregon as it's lead-in. The OSU game had 7.73M viewers, while the CYHAWK lead in was FL v USF which drew 1.6M viewers.

Other games in the same time slot matter. The Bama v Miami game had La v Texas on FOX & WVU v MD on ESPN. Not big competition nationally.

Conversely at the same time as the CYHAWK game was A&M vs CU and Texas v Ark. Each of those 3 games was solid. The CYHAWK game outdrew Longhorns/Razorbacks.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I don't feel comparison's of viewers week-to-week is always apples to apples.

Match ups in lead-in games and opposite matter.

The A&M v CU game opposite the CYHAWK game had OSU v Oregon as it's lead-in. The OSU game had 7.73M viewers, while the CYHAWK lead in was FL v USF which drew 1.6M viewers.

Other games in the same time slot matter. The Bama v Miami game had La v Texas on FOX & WVU v MD on ESPN. Not big competition nationally.

Conversely at the same time as the CYHAWK game was A&M vs CU and Texas v Ark. Each of those 3 games was solid. The CYHAWK game outdrew Longhorns/Razorbacks.

ABC games usually outdraw ESPN games in the same timeslot.

Reactions: Cyclones1969

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This quote from Gundy hits my ear wrong. He says good things about the new look Big 12 and then says this...

Does he only view his players as a "product"?

"We would probably get a feel for how young men in central Florida or in Ohio would feel about coming to school here and get a barometer to feel for it," Gundy said. "Because I don't want to fly all the way across the country if I can get the same product within a four-hour drive"

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The Big 12 has been demoted. Unless something really big happens that changes the landscape, we are now on the outside looking in.

I'm not happy about it - I am heart broken. But this is our reality unless everything changes.

If the quality of this league (as it stands) is not P5-quality, then neither is the ACC or PAC 12.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

In the end realignment is all about football but having the 1st or 2nd best basketball conference does help bring creditability and eyes to product and thus more attractive to the media companies. The ACC is evidence of that alone (Big East in a different context too).

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If the quality of this league (as it stands) is not P5-quality, then neither is the ACC or PAC 12.
And that’s before they have their OuTs.

If basing on pay it was already looking like a P2 situation. If basing on play and playoff success, it was already nearly a P1 situation.

It is not really a demotion. It’s a segregation in pay.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The only difference between the conferences are Dabo, Phil Knight, and ESPN's constant denigration.
The Big 12 has been demoted. Unless something really big happens that changes the landscape, we are now on the outside looking in.

I'm not happy about it - I am heart broken. But this is our reality unless everything changes.

The Big12 lacks traditional powers go forward, but the potential is there for a really strong on field conference.

UCF, BYU and UCF have all been better than UT over the last 5-7 years. They along with Houston have potential to be consistent Top 20 programs.

Look at Clemson? They were national champs under Danny Ford, but they were an afterthought for 25 years. Now they are considered an elite program.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This quote from Gundy hits my ear wrong. He says good things about the new look Big 12 and then says this...

"We would probably get a feel for how young men in central Florida or in Ohio would feel about coming to school here and get a barometer to feel for it," Gundy said. "Because I don't want to fly all the way across the country if I can get the same product within a four-hour drive"

I read that like he hasn't had to work as hard for recruits as ISU has. ISU has already shown it can win with Ohio players and no Ohio team in the conference.

OK State might still feel they don't have to because of proximity to Texas and still playing the same # of games in Texas as they ever have.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

I'm not happy about it - I am heart broken. And now I can't speak!
FIFY.

Stupid

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
What I find amusing and simultaneously maddening is that we're talking about an ISU game as almost getting 4 million viewers, absolutely smoking an in-state game with ultra-valuable, national program and blue-blood USC, then saying nah, ISU just doesn't move the needle enough to bring value to the PAC.

Ultimately a lot of people are going to be getting creative explaining why ISU is either getting an invite to the PAC, BIG or making PAC-like money in a new Big 12 while trying to hold on to the "they bring no value" narrative.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Cy-Hawk TV numbers are actually very good IMO; I don't know how much better a game with fanbases of these sizes could possibly do especially in September, which is too early to have national people tune in for real CFP implications. If you wanted us to beat Texas A&M or Ohio State or Alabama the week before, you weren't being realistic anyway.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

It was probably just a matter of time before Gundy said something dumb like this. I've had to kind of check myself when it seems that lately Gundy has been getting a lot of respect.

I thought well maybe he was becoming more mature, more sagely with age. Then this. Very Gundy-like really.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA

There's a lot to consider in the viewership numbers of this game. First and foremost, this match-up did not include a "Blueblood" program. Here's a list of games since the 2017 season that involved Iowa or Iowa State and did not include any of Michigan, Penn St, Ohio St, Oklahoma, or Texas:

DateTimeNetworkTeam1Team2Viewers
11/16/20194:00 PMFOXMinnesotaIowa4,410,000
9/11/20214:30 PMABCIowaIowa State3,890,000
11/11/20174:00 PMABCIowaWisconsin3,780,000
11/23/201812:00 PMFOXNebraskaIowa3,664,000
9/22/20188:30 PMFOXWisconsinIowa3,313,000
11/11/201712:00 PMABCOklahoma StateIowa State2,995,000
10/28/20173:30 PMABCTCUIowa State2,850,000
10/24/20203:30 PMFOXIowa StateOklahoma State2,810,000
11/27/20201:00 PMFOXNebraskaIowa2,690,000
11/10/20183:30 PMFOXNorthwesternIowa2,636,000
9/30/20174:30 PMFOXIowaMichigan State2,520,000
11/9/20194:00 PMFOXIowaWisconsin2,320,000
9/8/20185:00 PMFOXIowa StateIowa2,017,000

Only one game drew a bigger audience in the last 4+ seasons.

If history were a guide, one would expect this type of game to draw around mid- to upper 2 millions, but instead, it drew just under 4 million.

This was a good showing, considering the teams involved (or, in this example, not involved).

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
What I find amusing and simultaneously maddening is that we're talking about an ISU game as almost getting 4 million viewers, absolutely smoking an in-state game with ultra-valuable, national program and blue-blood USC, then saying nah, ISU just doesn't move the needle enough to bring value to the PAC.

Ultimately a lot of people are going to be getting creative explaining why ISU is either getting an invite to the PAC, BIG or making PAC-like money in a new Big 12 while trying to hold on to the "they bring no value" narrative.

People may have to eat some crow if the money is close to the pac 12

but the problem is that coaches have to recruit against the perception of this narrative.

The new schools have an advantage because the esteem with which they’re held is going up.

the 8 left behinds have to make up some ground because the public perception isn’t the one we see here that talks about how competitive and exciting it will be.

Reactions: ruflosn

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

I just feel if that's the way you feel better to just hold it in. You may be right to a certain degree. Ultimately I don't think so, atleast I hope not.

None of this is easy. I want to remain positive and believe ISU will come out of this just fine. For now I see new life pumped into the Big 12. I see us never having to deal with the Te$as prima donna again nor the OU traitor who I have lost all respect for.

I still have hope that college football will ultimately survive. This is still to be determined but I'm not going to dwell on the negative just yet.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyrealist