*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
They paced themselves. This happens in a lot of our games.
For most of the game, they did their press as a formality, just being there.
In other words, we didn't get their best shot. They did enough to win and went on their way.

i truly believe we'd lose by 30 to the likes of the upper half of the conference if it werent for playing down to your competition.

they all know going in that were terrible, coaches included, and do enough to win. thats the reality

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Because we are an easy win.
True, but doesn't explain a whole lot. Pad the win total sure, but ultimately not worth the risk. You aren't boosting your seed line with a win and you could really get screwed if God forbid you lose to this team. Plus a player could get hurt. Seems like a guy for Texas came up gimpy last night. In a meaningless game for the Whorns.

I just hope we get off the schneid vs purple kansas Saturday. Not sure what the line will be in Lubbock tomorrow night, but I like TTech to CRUSH us. Beard is the one Big 12 coach who won't let his guys play down to their opponent.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
i truly believe we'd lose by 30 to the likes of the upper half of the conference if it werent for playing down to your competition.

they all know going in that were terrible, coaches included, and do enough to win. thats the reality

They also really don't need to get too worried if ISU has a lead with 2-3 minutes left.

No opponent has had to do a whole lot to regain the lead.

Reactions: CoachHines3

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
ISU is back in the Earle Bruce era of 24 wins in three years and SUCKING MEGA IN MBB WITH MAYBE A COUPLE OF THOUSAND FANS INSIDE HILTON*...btw I was in attendance for FBI Agent, Lynne Nance's last game.

*I am being generous with my actual attendance count ...

Yeah, I suffered through the Trickey/Nance years too.....back then 5,000 would have set a record.

Reactions: CyBobby

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Let's talk about how awful Texas still is despite the obviously better talent they had last night. Shaka really can't coach his way out of a paper bag either. There were times watching last night where I kept looking at the score and wondered how we weren't absolutely getting our teeth kicked in. Then I remembered who the coach was. I was confused for a minute because he had a large bush on top of his head.

It's been about every conference opponent, frankly. We are about the only team you can waltz in and play your "D" game and still win. K-State is bad but still somewhat of a threat.

Baylor knew they were going to win. OU knew their were going to win. KU knew they were going to win. These teams know they can screw around for a while but we can't maintain and they will win by double digits.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yep. To be this bad in basketball you need to be many levels below 80% of your opponents, and find ways to lose the other ones. Losses happen in BB. In accordance so do those upset wins. To not manage any of those makes me think of all those times at the end of a HS game where they let the special needs manager come into a game, no one guards him, and he makes that shot. ISU is that kid. But the shot went into the crowd.

As someone who works with the special needs population as a career I should be offended, but the end of your post made me laugh out loud.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
As someone who works with the special needs population as a career I should be offended, but the end of your post made me laugh out loud.
It reminds me of a time in 8th grade where the other team put one of these kids into the game, and one of the 7th graders on our team didn't realize the kid was special needs and he absolutely blocked the crap out of the kids shot when everyone else was letting him do his thing.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It reminds me of a time in 8th grade where the other team put one of these kids into the game, and one of the 7th graders on our team didn't realize the kid was special needs and he absolutely blocked the crap out of the kids shot when everyone else was letting him do his thing.

Happened at Hilton during the GMac days in a halftime performance. Guy from Men's Golf didn't get the point and got really competitive. The crowd booed that sucker like he was a Jayhawk.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
True, but doesn't explain a whole lot. Pad the win total sure, but ultimately not worth the risk. You aren't boosting your seed line with a win and you could really get screwed if God forbid you lose to this team. Plus a player could get hurt. Seems like a guy for Texas came up gimpy last night. In a meaningless game for the Whorns.

I just hope we get off the schneid vs purple kansas Saturday. Not sure what the line will be in Lubbock tomorrow night, but I like TTech to CRUSH us. Beard is the one Big 12 coach who won't let his guys play down to their opponent.

Also, I think the Big 12 higher ups want to see if we can actually go winless with as many losses as possible. Maybe it's a running joke with them.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and socalcy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
A) People forget: Niang's success was built on his own 'old man game' deal where he had to carve out his skill set since pure athleticism was not his thing. Naz was someone who went after it when he first got to ISU to even get a chance, and Hali playing with other great 19 and under players likely also contributed. Matt Thomas seemed to really flourish more under CSP but maybe that was a confidence thing.

I'm personally a big believer in internalized motivation to make real improvements in all aspects of life, but if you're paid millions, balancing it out as the leader is needed. Seems like CMC is someone who is very good at finding that balance but still building internalized power within the team. That may have been lost a bit in 2019 but it looked like he used it for improving his own approaches. CSP doesn't seem to be able to get out of that.

B) I think some think ISU is a basketball destination when in reality most basketball fans might remember a couple of years when their name was brought up a few times but not much else. With that, the approach likely needs to be unique in some fashion to have success, or there needs to be serious 'buy-in' from the players. I think that's been strong with some and not others, which just doesn't work.
Nailed it!

I'll summarize. Need New Coach!

I'm just playing around. I did like your post!

Reactions: socalcy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Also, I think the Big 12 higher ups want to see if we can actually go winless with as many losses as possible. Maybe it's a running joke with them.
Sure about that? Big 12 gets together, says "give it to them". ISU wins B12 tournament, Prohm is retained, everybody is happy, except us. :(

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
So we have a game tonight. Is this the one that gives Prohm as many 20 loss seasons as every other head coach at ISU combined?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So we have a game tonight. Is this the one that gives Prohm as many 20 loss seasons as every other head coach at ISU combined?

That would be the one.

If my maths is right, in a shortened season, ISU will very likely actually beat the previous season's record of 20 losses.

I'm not sure anyone thought it would get worse with less games.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
That would be the one.

If my maths is right, in a shortened season, ISU will very likely actually beat the previous season's record of 20 losses.

I'm not sure anyone thought it would get worse with less games.
Yeah, if he loses out it will be the worst win percentage in school history.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
He did say that he would retire when he wasn't having fun anymore calling the games. He almost retired during the McDermott years, but Fred asked him if he would do it, so he stayed, and obviously had fun. Clearly isn't having fun anymore..
I don’t think any of us are having fun anymore....couldn’t even stomach watch the tcu game

Reactions: socalcy and CyBobby

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Bad news - Next Wednesday we will player either Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech with the 10/7 matchup in the Big 12 Tournament. Those teams rank #15, #16, #17, and #18 in the nation.

Good news - There's no way we win the game so our season will end.