Randy Peterson doing dirty work with Coach Prohm

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
He's a reporter, he has to ask about this kind of stuff. It is literally the job he is paid to do. Maybe there was a better way to do it. OK, very likely there was a better way to do it lol. This is Randy P we are talking about, he's not exactly on the Mt Rushmore of sports writers.

WRT to losing his press pass-- that's very much a TOE reaction. You make me uncomfortable, I will ban you from access to do your job. That is a highly insecure and thin-skinned reaction. I want our entire AD to be better than that. Part of their job is to answer tough (and often stupid) questions.

Whoa Whoa Whoa....are you saying he is getting to do that job? Now Im really pissed!

Reactions: CascadeClone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Should Prohm be fired? Yes. Will Prohm be fired? No. It will cost 5M to buy him out; and in a pandemic year when funds are short. Unfortunately, Jamie will give him the COVID pass. I don't see it happening.

I am in this boat too. Should he be fired after this season, probably. Will he, probably not. I find it hard to believe that we won a Big 12 championship in in 2019 (only two years ago) and now are at the bottom of the big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
I am in this boat too. Should he be fired after this season, probably. Will he, probably not. I find it hard to believe that we won a Big 12 championship in in 2019 (only two years ago) and now are at the bottom of power 5 basketball.

Fixed it for ya!

also - he done!!

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I am not sure there is a lot of "objective," Walter Cronkite speaking to the ages journalism left out there.

Most media companies nowadays are built around doing fan service to their watchers or readers to ensure (1.) eyeballs, and therefore ad revenues and (2.) online subscriptions do not drop. This starts from the top. The New York Times is much more beholden to its online subscriber base now than it was 10 years ago, and considering that subscriber base would otherwise just hang out on Twitter for free if the Times did not give them what they want, so they do.

And what do people want, really? Their worldviews and beliefs confirmed back at them, only articulated in a much more detailed and convincing way than they can manage because newspaper writers tend to be good at that.

Information is free. Like I said, if you just want to know what is happening out there, then the Internet can supply you with whatever data you want. What the media sells nowadays is more of a sense of membership in a community or a personal identity and/or, in many cases and at the very same time as that, a list of enemies to hate.

tl;dr I think most media outlets, if not all, are basically fan sites at this point.

I think some of this critique is true and some of it goes too far, but there's little doubt that the Register's sports coverage has gotten much chummier with the fan bases and athletic departments in recent years. Further, in recent years a lot of positive coverage has followed from the fact that ISU: 1) has won a lot, 2) has congenial coaches who treat the media with respect, and 3) has good leadership that hasn't generated much controversy or wrongdoing.

Put all of that together and you have a situation like this, where people genuinely think an independent journalist asking about an embattled coach's job status is being disrespectful.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Did you hear the questions that Randy Peterson was asking Coach Prohm about whether he had spoken with AD Pollard within a week and a half? And what was said during those conversations? Just a real jerk approach about it I’m sorry. And then he had no other questions for Coach Prohm. I’m an really amazed Coach Prohm kept calm and didn’t reply to the stupid question with a stupid answer.

Listen, I’m frustrated with the overall team and the direction it is going and has gone. But I really don’t think by firing Coach Prohm this season that there would be any better out there during this pandemic. You just are not going to see many dismissals at head coach after this season. You think there is going to be Mark Few’s just waiting in the wings for us?? Get a grip people!
the guy makes millions of dollars per year. he can answer tough questions when he does and is doing a ****** job. frankly, he needs asked more questions like these.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Should Prohm be fired? Yes. Will Prohm be fired? No. It will cost 5M to buy him out; and in a pandemic year when funds are short. Unfortunately, Jamie will give him the COVID pass. I don't see it happening.
$5M spread over 20 years, who cares. And donors will probably pay it anyways.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I literally explained exactly why. Nice reading

Do you know what practical means? It wouldn't make us win. It wouldn't change the direction of the program. It doesn't save the AD any money, in fact it would lose them the opportunity to maybe do this in a less harsh fashion and possibly reduce to amortize his buyout. All it does is make a few people feel better because someone got fired mid season. That is not a practical purpose.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I play a game in the car when I'm bored.
I turn on the "Cyclone Insider" podcast and when ever a new topic or question is asked, I pause the show and think about my answer/opinion.
Then, I play the show and listen for Randy's take.
If his take is the polar opposite of mine, I give myself a point.
I keep score of how many points I have to total number of takes.

I get a perfect score probably every other time.

Wow, you listen to that. I tried once, its terrible. Really a contrast to the job John Walters does.

Reactions: nowncarolina

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I think some of this critique is true and some of it goes too far, but there's little doubt that the Register's sports coverage has gotten much chummier with the fan bases and athletic departments in recent years. Further, in recent years a lot of positive coverage has followed from the fact that ISU: 1) has won a lot, 2) has congenial coaches who treat the media with respect, and 3) has good leadership that hasn't generated much controversy or wrongdoing.

Put all of that together and you have a situation like this, where people genuinely think an independent journalist asking about an embattled coach's job status is being disrespectful.

Its laughable you think the Register is chummier with every school in state. More biased like all media these days would be what you are looking for. Randy might as well be the token Tavern Hawk let in to the press conferences to ask repeated awkward dumb questions. Its sports. I do think the reporter on the Hawk beat should be pro hawk but should be able to question a coach or the school when called for, same for Iowa state. That is not Randy's history at all.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Do you know what practical means? It wouldn't make us win. It wouldn't change the direction of the program. It doesn't save the AD any money, in fact it would lose them the opportunity to maybe do this in a less harsh fashion and possibly reduce to amortize his buyout. All it does is make a few people feel better because someone got fired mid season. That is not a practical purpose.

Or it does what I said, which is why I said it.
I can link something for remedial reading if you'd like.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
He's a reporter, he has to ask about this kind of stuff. It is literally the job he is paid to do. Maybe there was a better way to do it. OK, very likely there was a better way to do it lol. This is Randy P we are talking about, he's not exactly on the Mt Rushmore of sports writers.

WRT to losing his press pass-- that's very much a TOE reaction. You make me uncomfortable, I will ban you from access to do your job. That is a highly insecure and thin-skinned reaction. I want our entire AD to be better than that. Part of their job is to answer tough (and often stupid) questions.
Just a clarification from my past life as a journalist/media person: Randy may technically be considered a journalist (Merriam Webster def.https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/journalist) only because he writes. He is not a reporter. He is a columnist who is employed by a conglomerate business entity that owns some media businesses.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Someone who knows more than me. Explain to me why dumba$$ Randy Peterson still has a job??? Is there tenure at the DSM Register we aren't made aware of?? So many young journalists would blow the doors off of Randy in that role
You get what you paid for. It's not like the register has big $'s to throw at the person covering the (in their coverage words) 2nd best university in the state.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
the guy makes millions of dollars per year. he can answer tough questions when he does and is doing a ****** job. frankly, he needs asked more questions like these.

He did answer it. What should have said that he didn’t say?

He said he talks to Jamie. He didn’t lobby to keep his job or say he deserves to keep it.

I’m not sure what exactly you expect him to do. Fire himself effective immediately?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I hate Randy as much as the next guy but his job isn’t to be an Iowa State fan. He represents his paper, not Iowa St. CF is a fan website, not a newspaper. Two completely different things.

Are the um, journalists, who cover other D1 teams in Iowa held in the same regard? Representing the paper?

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I again will mention this because it pops right back into the reality of the situation. Prohm is handling this with class act. We all know the outcome. We currently have a coach struggling to win games. There has to be consequences. I just hope that if he gets replaced it is with a coach who has the same kind of class.

All I can think about right now is how Fran would have answered that question. Dude goes full FranCon 10 when asked why he sat Garza with 2 fouls when the other team was on a 14 point run.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Its laughable you think the Register is chummier with every school in state. More biased like all media these days would be what you are looking for. Randy might as well be the token Tavern Hawk let in to the press conferences to ask repeated awkward dumb questions. Its sports. I do think the reporter on the Hawk beat should be pro hawk but should be able to question a coach or the school when called for, same for Iowa state. That is not Randy's history at all.

This is borderline incoherent, but I'll give it a go.

No, ISU does not enjoy the level of fanboy coverage that Iowa gets, but the tone of coverage has crept much closer to that of a fan site like CF than traditionally objective news coverage you would have read 10-15 years ago.

That said, those reporters must still put distance between themselves and the teams/coaches/administrators they cover and ask the tough questions when the situation warrants. Randy did that here and was in no way out of bounds for doing so.

That you didn't like it doesn't make it wrong.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I am in this boat too. Should he be fired after this season, probably. Will he, probably not. I find it hard to believe that we won a Big 12 championship in in 2019 (only two years ago) and now are at the bottom of the big 12.

He won't be here.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I again will mention this because it pops right back into the reality of the situation. Prohm is handling this with class act. We all know the outcome. We currently have a coach struggling to win games. There has to be consequences. I just hope that if he gets replaced it is with a coach who has the same kind of class.

All I can think about right now is how Fran would have answered that question. Dude goes full FranCon 10 when asked why he sat Garza with 2 fouls when the other team was on a 14 point run.

He’d have Marge beat up Randy for him

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY