Randy Peterson doing dirty work with Coach Prohm

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Someone who knows more than me. Explain to me why dumba$$ Randy Peterson still has a job??? Is there tenure at the DSM Register we aren't made aware of?? So many young journalists would blow the doors off of Randy in that role

Well, we're all sitting here talking about him for one.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Methinks the OP might be trying to get some attention here with his advocacy for Prohm.

I was (and in certain contexts still am) one of the bigger Prohm defenders on here, but I'm more excited for the likely coaching change than I am for anything actually happening on the court.
Same here. Always wanted to see Prohm succeed, just seems we've reached the point of no return. I can't make apologies for him anymore. Enough is enough. The program has hit rock bottom, even if they can somehow eke out a win and not go down as a winless B12 team. The next month- 2 months we'll be on the edge of our seats waiting for announcements of coach dismissal, players leaving, new coach being hired, new players arriving etc. Way more excited for that then our last 3,4, however many more games we have to plod through.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Methinks the OP might be trying to get some attention here with his advocacy for Prohm.

I was (and in certain contexts still am) one of the bigger Prohm defenders on here, but I'm more excited for the likely coaching change than I am for anything actually happening on the court.

Randy sucks. But he's paid to write articles and get eyeballs on them, and all anybody cares about is Prohm's job status and who the next coach might be. That's the unfortunate fact.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Did you hear the questions that Randy Peterson was asking Coach Prohm about whether he had spoken with AD Pollard within a week and a half? And what was said during those conversations? Just a real jerk approach about it I’m sorry. And then he had no other questions for Coach Prohm. I’m an really amazed Coach Prohm kept calm and didn’t reply to the stupid question with a stupid answer.

Listen, I’m frustrated with the overall team and the direction it is going and has gone. But I really don’t think by firing Coach Prohm this season that there would be any better out there during this pandemic. You just are not going to see many dismissals at head coach after this season. You think there is going to be Mark Few’s just waiting in the wings for us?? Get a grip people!

There's 2 sides to this:
1. Prohm should be fired already. It's a foregone conclusion that he can't turn this around, and he's responsible for cratering the program. The interim coach won't win or make it better. It's just about getting it finished.
2. There's no reason to ask him that during a press conference. There isn't any answer Prohm can give that satisfies a single person. No reason to bring it up there.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I see your point and the Skip Bayless parallel.. To me that's just really insulting to the fanbase and why CF will always DOMINATE the cyclone sports landscape
Randy is actually smart in that he knows Jared, Rob, CW and co. have the market cornered for quality Cyclone journalism. He does his hot takes, bold/awkward questioning nonsense to play on the emotions of the fragile/facebook segments of the fan base, ensuring that the clicks keep on coming for DMR.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Randy sucks. But he's paid to write articles and get eyeballs on them, and all anybody cares about is Prohm's job status and who the next coach might be. That's the unfortunate fact.

Yeah, but the Rag ran his article as a “subscriber exclusive!” I saw the tweet, and I laaaaaaughed and laughed. Getting us to talk about him is one thing. Getting us to PAY for that... content... in 2021?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Amazing that the "hack blogger bros" on here given us more fair, forthright, detailed, interesting, and thought out coverage of the Cyclones than does the beat writer for the Des Moines Register, which is supposed to be the most prestigious journalistic publication in the state of Iowa. I don't want to turn this into a media griping thread, but Randy is far from the only media figure at a legacy publication with that arrogant attitude towards both the beat and the readers.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Well, were all sitting here talking about him for one.
Exactly why he does this stuff. If a journalist is bringing up something controversial, negative, or distracting about Iowa State the smart bet is that it's Randy. I'm sure he knows that using these tactics gets way more traffic and is benefiting the Register.

Another post here said he's terrible at reading the room. I can't count how many times I've been watching a coach or player answering questions and question gets thrown at them from left field. You can see the other journalists' eyes flinch as they internally cringe because they know it's just Randy being Randy again.

He is a journalist for the Register 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I would be utterly shocked if he described himself as an Iowa State fan. Although he does seem to enjoy the building relationships with Iowa State players, coaches, and administrators.

Do a search for 'Randy Peterson Cyclones' on Google Images and try to find him representing Iowa State. Now replace Randy with Chris Williams or Brent Blum. You can have impartial and honest coverage while still being a diehard fan. This is why CF is the best Cyclone sports site.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
True. No one is talking about our matchup against the number 2 team in the country. There is a poll up about the spread, but the isu season thread hasn't even been posted in today, and we dont even do game day threads anymore.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
True. No one is talking about our matchup against the number 2 team in the country. There is a poll up about the spread, but the isu season thread hasn't even been posted in today, and we dont even do game day threads anymore.
When do those become a thing again? Automatically next season, with a new coach?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Exactly why he does this stuff. If a journalist is bringing up something controversial, negative, or distracting about Iowa State the smart bet is that it's Randy. I'm sure he knows that using these tactics gets way more traffic and is benefiting the Register.

Another post here said he's terrible at reading the room. I can't count how many times I've been watching a coach or player answering questions and question gets thrown at them from left field. You can see the other journalists' eyes flinch as they internally cringe because they know it's just Randy being Randy again.

He is a journalist for the Register 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I would be utterly shocked if he described himself as an Iowa State fan. Although he does seem to enjoy the building relationships with Iowa State players, coaches, and administrators.

Do a search for 'Randy Peterson Cyclones' on Google Images and try to find him representing Iowa State. Now replace Randy with Chris Williams or Brent Blum. You can have impartial and honest coverage while still being a diehard fan. This is why CF is the best Cyclone sports site.

I hate Randy as much as the next guy but his job isn’t to be an Iowa State fan. He represents his paper, not Iowa St. CF is a fan website, not a newspaper. Two completely different things.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
There's 2 sides to this:
1. Prohm should be fired already. It's a foregone conclusion that he can't turn this around, and he's responsible for cratering the program. The interim coach won't win or make it better. It's just about getting it finished.
2. There's no reason to ask him that during a press conference. There isn't any answer Prohm can give that satisfies a single person. No reason to bring it up there.

Why? This would serve no practical purpose except for making you feel better.

Help Support Us

Become a patron