Randy Peterson doing dirty work with Coach Prohm

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
It's journalism, folks. There are different flavors of it that receive different types of attention, and print media is dying. As much as he hurts so many of your delicate feels, I imagine Randy realizes these things. Even if he doesn't realize these things, it's his job to attract and retain readers.

Prohm is a multi-million dollar coach mainly being paid to do the precise things he can't do with any level of effectiveness - get wins and develop young men as basketball players (not as humans). I don't understand all of this "but he's a nice guy" stuff. He's paid to win games and keep money coming into the university. How he presents himself is a distant third. Iowa State doesn't doesn't pay Steve to make people feel warm and fuzzy about his gee golly wiz, southern-style disposition. There's a cognitive disconnect that I see on Facebook posts and on this site between "he's a nice guy" and "he's paid millions of dollars to do a job that he's horrendous at".

Is it an Iowa Nice thing? Who gives a crap if he's nice. He's swindling the university and has made no apparent effort to better his tactical understanding or improve his staff. His staff has the feel of Chizik's while he was in Ames. It's bothersome that people rationalize this way and he should be held to the fire. Tough questions from the media are part of Steve's business that he knowingly entered into as a big boy.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It's journalism, folks. There are different flavors of it that receive different types of attention, and print media is dying. As much as he hurts so many of your delicate feels, I imagine Randy realizes these things. Even if he doesn't realize these things, it's his job to attract and retain readers.

Prohm is a multi-million dollar coach mainly being paid to do the precise things he can't do with any level of effectiveness - get wins and develop young men as basketball players (not as humans). I don't understand all of this "but he's a nice guy" stuff. He's paid to win games and keep money coming into the university. How he presents himself is a distant third. Iowa State doesn't doesn't pay Steve to make people feel warm and fuzzy about his gee golly wiz, southern-style disposition. There's a cognitive disconnect that I see on Facebook posts and on this site between "he's a nice guy" and "he's paid millions of dollars to do a job that he's horrendous at".

Is it an Iowa Nice thing? Who gives a crap if he's nice. He's swindling the university and has made no apparent effort to better his tactical understanding or improve his staff. His staff has the feel of Chizik's while he was in Ames. It's bothersome that people rationalize this way and he should be held to the fire. Tough questions from the media are part of Steve's business that he knowingly entered into as a big boy.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but at the same time I don't think I've seen a single poster write that he should keep his job because he's a "nice guy."

Honestly it seems like it's a bit of a straw man argument for his loudest detractors that want him fired post-haste to use against him.

Reactions: Cyclones01

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but at the same time I don't think I've seen a single poster write that he should keep his job because he's a "nice guy."

Honestly it seems like it's a bit of a straw man argument for his loudest detractors that want him fired post-haste to use against him.

His niceness is cited frequently as a defense for criticizing and critiquing him. Like people are personally hurt by criticism of Steve. People mentally shut down when things aren't "nice" and let it detract from logic.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
His niceness is cited frequently as a defense for criticizing and critiquing him. Like people are personally hurt by criticism of Steve. People mentally shut down when things aren't "nice" and let it detract from logic.

As a past Prohm defender I don't feel I've ever been personally hurt by criticism of him, as long as it's fair criticism. But some of the criticism of him also hasn't been fair or based in logic.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
As a past Prohm defender I don't feel I've ever been personally hurt by criticism of him, as long as it's fair criticism. But some of the criticism of him also hasn't been fair or based in logic.

Ok, well that's you. I'm commenting on the OP, not you.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
How he presents himself is a distant third.

That stuff matters, like it or not, especially nowadays... Reputational damage is a real thing...

1614115730363.png

1614115716049.png

1614115837290.png

1614115861676.png

I agree that Prohm being a nice guy doesn't excuse his failures, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to be a successful ******* in our society. We can argue if that is a good thing or not, but it is reality.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Randy simply had the balls to ask Prohm these questions to his face, while the others without that courage in the room hurriedly recorded Prohm's answers.
Everyone's speculating about Prohm's potential firing - even Williams and Blum felt it was necessary to predict it on their podcast two weeks ago - but Peterson didn't just talk "about" Prohm - he talked "to" him about it.
Refreshing.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Steve is too nice of a guy to ever do this but I wouldn't have blamed him if he pulled out the "you're better than that Randy" line that Fran used the other week with another reporter. Unlike Fran too, when things are going bad Steve has never thrown his players under the bus like Fran does at times, he takes responsibility as the head coach that it's his job to put the players in situations where they can compete and win.

It's a bad spot for Steve right now, he's not blind to what is going on he knows fans are frustrated and his job is on the line. I like Steve and have defended him here many times over the years but I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with where the program is currently headed and that is squarely on him to take responsibility for so I'm ready to move on and go another direction with a new coach. Just like McDermott, I think many wanted them to succeed here but for 1 reason or another things just did not work out and I hope much like Greg that Steve can find another job where his system can have success.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I loved it, the guy should be drilled on his job performance especially when he is a public figure. He is coaching his basketball team like Cuomo handles nursing homes.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think most of the ire here is directed at the pointlessness of day-to-day sports journalism. With widespread access to news in many different forms, we don't rely on the Randy Peterson's of the world for our sports news. Reporting on this team and this program on a daily basis is frankly just unnecessary. There's isn't that much there to report.

So I get him asking the questions, but it's just an exercise in futility. Steve's not going to give some elaborate quote on his job security and neither is Jamie. So it just kind of is what it is until they decide to do something, and no line of questioning from Randy is going to change that.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Randy is a moron if he thinks that Prohm wasn't going to give him the run around on those questions. I think Randy could have asked more direct productive questions that he actually get a chance of getting answered, such as:

"You're about to be in the record books for one of the worst records in the B12 and Iowa State history, what is wrong right now with this team?"

"What can you do moving forward to show the fans progress? How do you dig your team morale out of this hole? How do you sell this to recruits?"

"How would you sell yourself to the fans that no longer are going to show up to games next year that you have an exciting product to show them?"

Those are literally three questions I have not heard asked of him, and frankly are hard questions, but good opportunities to answer why he should keep his job in a round about way.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Randy simply had the balls to ask Prohm these questions to his face, while the others without that courage in the room hurriedly recorded Prohm's answers.
Everyone's speculating about Prohm's potential firing - even Williams and Blum felt it was necessary to predict it on their podcast two weeks ago - but Peterson didn't just talk "about" Prohm - he talked "to" him about it.
Refreshing.

Randy essentially said that on tonight's Cyclone Insider. Something like, "Nobody else was asking the question."

Reactions: Tornado man

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Just ask yourself one question, if this current situation was over in Iowa City, and the question was not asked of their coach that was 0-13 in the conference, how many on here would be complaining about how the Register favors the Squawks?

Its a valid question and should have been asked, Randy was just doing his job by doing so. Prohm is a well paid state employee that is failing in doing his job, its not out of line to be asking him questions like this. Hell, I am one that is glad that Randy had the ball to do it and get Prohm's response on record.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
For years, I've read these posts slamming Peterson for doing his job. Is this what Chris Williams will have to look forward to in another 30 years? When he's gray in the hair and websites are no longer the preferred media by Cyclone fans?

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones