2022 NFL Draft

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Kolar probably can't prove much more at the college level as a 2 time All-American but may benefit from next year's TE class not being as strong. Pitts (Florida), Jordan (Miami), Freiermuth (Penn State) are guys who had similar college production but will test better athletically which would of knocked Chuck down to TE4 or TE5.

In 2022, Texas A&M's Jalen Wydermeyer is a guy who could be a 1st/2nd round TE type. There's a lot to play out obviously but Chuck will be in the mix for TE2-4.

Additionally, another year under Dave Andrews might help Chuck reach his athletic ceiling.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I appreciate the optimism, but Hutchinson will not be drafted in the 2nd or 1st round. That's crazy talk. I don't think he has the measurables to get drafted at all.

Slow down guys. Lets just get someone drafted period before we project first round picks.

It most certainly isn't crazy talk.

While he doesn't have Tyreek Hill speed (who does) he has more than enough to create separation (reported 4.5 speed before coming D1). Moreover the route running skills, hands, size are definitely NFL caliber. He lit up one of OU's best corners and finished the year strong. A full year of comradery with Purdy, an offseason strength and conditioning, AND pre-season hype will have him firmly on the board to start the year. If he has a full season of playing like he did down the stretch and tests out at 4.5 he will be a 3rd round pick (at worst), with an outside chance to sneak on the back end of the first (depending on the season).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Absolutely no way he goes that late. If plays 2021 like he finished this year, he will be no worse than a 2nd round pick. He's got more than enough size, speed, hands and definitely displays the effort.

Barring injury or unforeseen regression he will go in the 3rd round at the latest.
If Butler was a 4th round pick, X isn't a 2nd rounder. Especially when you consider that there will likely be extra worthy bodies in next year's draft with some of this year's draftable players sticking it out for another year.

I'd love to be wrong, but we always overestimate our player's draft potential.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Kool Aid is out of control right now...

7 Players drafted in the past decade. Winning a Big 12 Title goes a long way in changing that. I want that first
B12 title, NC, and 10 guys get drafted. Let’s get the optimism going. Hey these things are all completely realistic opportunities lol

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
If Butler was a 4th round pick, X isn't a 2nd rounder. Especially when you consider that there will likely be extra worthy bodies in next year's draft with some of this year's draftable players sticking it out for another year.

Can you imagine if we had Butler on 2020 roster? With that said I think Butler might have got drafted higher if he stayed another year with the respect Iowa state is starting to get

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

There were questions about Butler's route running, hands, and consistency coming out of college. Hutchinson has MUCH more consistency and, at this point, is considered to have better speed than Butler ever did. Also, Butler got a LOT of yards/catches by outjumping defenders on underthrown balls, something that wasn't likely to happen against NFL caliber defenders.

Michael Thomas, who would be a really good NFL comparable in terms of size and measurables had the following combine performance. Again, it will take a season of results (and health) but I see no reason why a great season from Hutch, on a team that should be top 10 most if not all of the year, couldn't vault him into the 2nd (if not the late) first round.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It most certainly isn't crazy talk.

While he doesn't have Tyreek Hill speed (who does) he has more than enough to create separation (reported 4.5 speed before coming D1). Moreover the route running skills, hands, size are definitely NFL caliber. He lit up one of OU's best corners and finished the year strong. A full year of comradery with Purdy, an offseason strength and conditioning, AND pre-season hype will have him firmly on the board to start the year. If he has a full season of playing like he did down the stretch and tests out at 4.5 he will be a 3rd round pick (at worst), with an outside chance to sneak on the back end of the first (depending on the season).

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I promise. But I think you are looking at things through cardinal colored glasses.

There are a **** load of guys in every draft who can run a 4.5 40. If he was a top 2 round WR he would have been more sought after in recruiting.

I love the guy. I love all of our guys. But if Hakeem Butler didn't get drafted until the 4th, Xavier won't get taken in the 3rd.

There are a ton of things that go into draft stock, athleticism, age, health, pedigree... And great college players don't always turn into high draft picks.

Our program is improving every year, but to go from almost no one drafted to 7 or 8 taken and guys taken in the first 2 rounds, that's a stretch. We will likely get a few guys taken and more who end up UDFAs and that will be a step in the right direction.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
There were questions about Butler's route running, hands, and consistency coming out of college. Hutchinson has MUCH more consistency and, at this point, is considered to have better speed than Butler ever did. Also, Butler got a LOT of yards/catches by outjumping defenders on underthrown balls, something that wasn't likely to happen against NFL caliber defenders.

Michael Thomas, who would be a really good NFL comparable in terms of size and measurables had the following combine performance. Again, it will take a season of results (and health) but I see no reason why a great season from Hutch, on a team that should be top 10 most if not all of the year, couldn't vault him into the 2nd (if not the late) first round.

Xavier Hutchinson is a late round pick at best. You’re in for a world of disappointment when he goes late or is and UDFA. He’s no where near a first round pick. You’re probably the same guy that thought Austen Arnaud was a first or second rounder back in the day(there were some that posted in this site that actually thought this ).

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Xavier Hutchinson is a late round pick at best. You’re in for a world of disappointment when he goes late or is and UDFA. He’s no where near a first round pick. You’re probably the same guy that thought Austen Arnaud was a first or second rounder back in the day(there were some that posted in this site that actually thought this ).

LOL, no.

I'm not one to overestimate players very often (though I was high on Butler) and rarely have though Iowa State has had a player worthy of a 3rd round or better selection. I thought Purdy might have had a chance but the knocks he had as a freshman are still his knocks, meaning he will likely never have the arm strength and or the long ball accuracy to be better than a mid to late round pick. But right now, on this team, I think we have 3 guys who have that possibility based on talent, athleticism and performance and that's Breece (who is already there), McDonald, and Hutchinson.

I think you severely underestimate the number of guys who are 6-3, have 4.5 speed, have GREAT HANDS (Hutch rarely drops anything), and have good route-running skills. Hutchinson isn't Davante Smith (who is), but he definitely has the profile of a top 2-3 round pick if he puts up 800-1000 yards with the same skill level he displayed this year. He will be on an ISU team that will be in the spotlight for the first time (basically) ever. There is absolutely no reason why he can't or won't be a top 3 round receiver when he doesn't have a knock on him other than experience.

Butler is also a piss poor comparison to Hutch. Not even close to being the same type of receiver.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
LOL, no.

I'm not one to overestimate players very often (though I was high on Butler) and rarely have though Iowa State has had a player worthy of a 3rd round or better selection. I thought Purdy might have had a chance but the knocks he had as a freshman are still his knocks, meaning he will likely never have the arm strength and or the long ball accuracy to be better than a mid to late round pick. But right now, on this team, I think we have 3 guys who have that possibility based on talent, athleticism and performance and that's Breece (who is already there), McDonald, and Hutchinson.

I think you severely underestimate the number of guys who are 6-3, have 4.5 speed, have GREAT HANDS (Hutch rarely drops anything), and have good route-running skills. Hutchinson isn't Davante Smith (who is), but he definitely has the profile of a top 2-3 round pick if he puts up 800-1000 yards with the same skill level he displayed this year. He will be on an ISU team that will be in the spotlight for the first time (basically) ever. There is absolutely no reason why he can't or won't be a top 3 round receiver when he doesn't have a knock on him other than experience.

Butler is also a piss poor comparison to Hutch. Not even close to being the same type of receiver.

Are you saying absolute best case scenario he goes top 2-3 rounds? Or is that what you are expecting to happen?

I don't see him getting drafted next season, period. But if the stars totally align, sure I can see him bumping up quite a bit. Remember, even Allen Lazard went undrafted

Reactions: xboxfever

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Also, Butler got a LOT of yards/catches by outjumping defenders on underthrown balls,
Since this is the second time in about a week I’ve seen this comment from someone...how does anyone outjump people on underthrown balls?

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Kool Aid is out of control right now...

7 Players drafted in the past decade. Winning a Big 12 Title goes a long way in changing that. I want that first
You’d think having the most successful season in school history would have this effect, no?

There’s 250+ players drafted a year. I don’t think 7 players being drafted in a decade span is a standard to live by.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Are you saying absolute best case scenario he goes top 2-3 rounds? Or is that what you are expecting to happen?

I don't see him getting drafted next season, period. But if the stars totally align, sure I can see him bumping up quite a bit. Remember, even Allen Lazard went undrafted
Lazard had no business being undrafted. Any scout now would likely agree telling you that in hindsight.

I think Lazard struggled from the stigma of our program from previous seasons. Much of that stigma is starting to wear off now that Campbell has been established here for a few years. We hadn’t had a draft pick in 3 years at that point when he was undrafted.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I appreciate the optimism, but Hutchinson will not be drafted in the 2nd or 1st round. That's crazy talk. I don't think he has the measurables to get drafted at all.

Slow down guys. Lets just get someone drafted period before we project first round picks.
This year is an exception, because we have nearly everyone returning.

But our program’s standard now should be having players drafted every year. Like any good power 5 program should.

It shouldn’t be getting a 4th round pick out there every 3 years anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
With this Kolar news, is it me or could the 2022 NFL Draft be one of historic proportion for Iowa State?

We could have:

Brock Purdy
Breece Hall (have to think he’d declare if he has another season like this year)
Charlie Kolar
Mike Rose
Will McDonald (Maybe stays longer, but with another 10 sack season he might find it an opportunity)

All get drafted in the same draft. This doesn’t even include other guys who could work their way into building better stock next year like X, Chase Allen, Eisworth, maybe even an offensive lineman.

Now, this is all going with the assumption everyone plays up to their potential next year. But it would be a historic payoff for Iowa State to get that many players out there in one year. I can’t remember many years where we’ve had more than two players drafted, maybe we had three on one or two occasions back in the early 2000’s? That’s about it.

Impressive roster for sure... would be fun if we led the B12 in draft picks in 2022. I think we might get an O-Lineman in there and Anthony Johnson too. Not sure if Uwazurike would get in or not. But if we could get a few fringe guys too we could have 7+ maybe? We'll see.. hope Bailey, Nwangwu get drafted or land in good spots as UDFA this year.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Since this is the second time in about a week I’ve seen this comment from someone...how does anyone outjump people on underthrown balls?

When the ball is underthrown the defender and receiver slow down or stop and then both jump for the ball together. A guy like Butler just wins a lot of those jump balls.

• Haha
Reactions: Aclone and ZRF

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

The ball is underthrown, meaning the receiver isn't wide open or diving for the ball. This creates a "jump ball" situation. Whoever goes up and pulls it down, gets it. Butler rarely lost, if ever, one of those balls. So the ball was underthrown which created a "jump ball" situation.

• Creative
Reactions: Aclone

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
When the ball is underthrown the defender and receiver slow down or stop and then both jump for the ball together. A guy like Butler just wins a lot of those jump balls.

I hate when you respond to a post before reading the entire thread only to see someone already give the correct response.

Yeah, this.

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Assuming he has the production I'm expecting, I am saying that's a "worst case" scenario.

Lazard doesn't have the speed of Hutchinson. Lazard was great, but I think Hutchinson is far and away the best NFL prospect we've ever had at receiver. I'm sure Campbell (if you could squeeze the truth out) would tell you the same).