Wings - Flats or Drumsticks?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What kind of wing do you like?

• Total voters

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
People who don't know how to eat flats think drummies are better. If you're not breaking them in half you're doing it wrong. A FORK THO!?!?!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Easily the best wings I have ever had were the Vietnamese fish sauce wings at Pok Pok in Portland, Oregon. They didn't make you choose, and just gave yout the full wing; drumette, flat and flapper. And I guarantee you will suck every single edible molecule off of them. They're that good.

My brother would agree with you.

Reactions: Angie and Mr Janny

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My brother would agree with you.
I'm often prone to hyperbole, but it's hard to overstate how amazing those wings are.

The highest possible compliment I can give them is that @Angie loves them too, in spite of the fact that in all of the time I've known her, I've never seen her eat something with anything remotely close to the word "fish" in the name... except for these wings.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm often prone to hyperbole, but it's hard to overstate how amazing those wings are.

The highest possible compliment I can give them is that @Angie loves them too, in spite of the fact that in all of the time I've known her, I've never seen her eat something with anything remotely close to the word "fish" in the name... except for these wings.

This is true. We basically took a return trip to Portland primarily to get Pok Pok.

Reactions: HappyJoe

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

We went out to Portland, and before returning to the airport to fly home, we stopped there. It was a return trip for him so he made sure he was going to end our vacation right.

And I guarantee you will suck every single edible molecule off of them.

This hit home. I can still hear it.

Reactions: Angie

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Preferring flats? Or using a fork? Or both?
I voted flat too. Just trying to imagine using a fork to pull the bones apart and coming up empty. How do you get the meat in the middle?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I voted flat too. Just trying to imagine using a fork to pull the bones apart and coming up empty. How do you get the meat in the middle?

Start on one side at the top, pull the meat down with the fork, cut off the bone and enjoy. Do the same on the other side. Then whatever's left in the middle either fork out or use hands.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Start on one side at the top, pull the meat down with the fork, cut off the bone and enjoy. Do the same on the other side. Then whatever's left in the middle either fork out or use hands.

Do you have dentures or no teeth? By the time it took you to eat one, I'd probably have 3-4 gone already. I assume you drink you tea with you pinkie out also? Man card revoked. Sorry the tribe has spoken.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I didn't vote. For me the correct answer is "Legs". Grilled, smoked or fried at home using various spices and sauces. Twice the meat compared to wings for less than half the price and they taste better.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I voted flats, but I actually prefer boneless. I know I'll catch all sort of flack for that comment, but the buffalo style breaded chicken nuggets are easier and cleaner to eat.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I am absolutely shocked that flats have a lead. I have always just assumed drumsticks are preferred. Whenever I make wings for a group you can count on any leftovers being all flats.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Do you have dentures or no teeth? By the time it took you to eat one, I'd probably have 3-4 gone already. I assume you drink you tea with you pinkie out also? Man card revoked. Sorry the tribe has spoken.

I can get through a wing with a fork just as quickly you, no doubt. If you measure your manhood by how much buffalo sauce you have smeared all over your face, take my card, please.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I can get through a wing with a fork just as quickly you, no doubt. If you measure your manhood by how much buffalo sauce you have smeared all over your face, take my card, please.

So do you have dentures or no teeth, hence the fork option? I just don't get the dainty fork option when eating wings. You can eat wings with your fingers and still not get it on your face. I guess some of us are more talented than others. If I see anyone eating wings with a fork I will go up and ask them if they are Gonzo.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not a fan of wings or legs really. Too much work for not much meat. If I'm cooking chicken I'd prefer hindquarters.
This is correct. The thigh is the best part of a chicken. Super versatile.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So do you have dentures or no teeth, hence the fork option? I just don't get the dainty fork option when eating wings. You can eat wings with your fingers and still not get it on your face. I guess some of us are more talented than others. If I see anyone eating wings with a fork I will go up and ask them if they are Gonzo.

Haha. No dentures, have all my teeth. I just like avoiding mess on my hands and face, using a fork is easy and clean.