Wings - Flats or Drumsticks?

• Fanatics -

Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

Thanks again.

Chris Williams - Publisher

What kind of wing do you like?

• Total voters

kchacker

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Great now I want Pizza Pit infernos.
When I'm in Iowa, I often have to make a trek past Ames on I-35. If I go into town, Pizza Pit wings and pizza is why. Last time I was there, it was a comforting feeling to be drinking by myself on a Sunday afternoon.

Reactions: JP4CY

Cyched

Minister of Culture
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 8, 2009
Ankeny
We always called it "Inferno Ass."

Best thing you can do is just jump straight into the shower, dog.

Pizza Pit cheese bread is a 10 and that ham and pepperoni sub with garlic mayo is rockin.
One of the things I miss about living in Ames (especially post-grad days) was watching away games at WAS. Great bar + PIzza Pit menu is hard to beat

Cycloneracer

Mar 17, 2014
Pizza pit has wings????!!!!!!

I need to get back to Ames for a weekend! Been far too long!!!

Flats all the way....

45 min on the Yoder stick burner at 225. Throw them on the pellet grill at 425 to crisp up and finish.

kchacker

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
If you like drumsticks exclusively you probably grew up in an all white upper-class suburban ass neighborhood. I don't make the rules
I knew I had hit the big time when I was finally able to afford the $1 surcharge at Hooters for all drummies. That was a special day.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Originally when you ordered wings you actually got a whole chicken wing. Not this flat and drummie stuff.

isutrevman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I find flats (first time I've ever heard that term) easier to "clean". It's easy to get every piece of meat and skin off those leaving nothing but a bare bone. Drumsticks seem to have little pieces of cartilage or tendon you have to watch out for and pick around at the wide end making it hard to get all the good meat off.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
May 20, 2019
Pizza pit has wings????!!!!!!

I need to get back to Ames for a weekend! Been far too long!!!

Flats all the way....

45 min on the Yoder stick burner at 225. Throw them on the pellet grill at 425 to crisp up and finish.
Pizza Pit's wings are phenomenal.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Technically the wing is the Drum AND the flat attached. We used to have a local place that served them like that. You'd pay like 50% more, but get double the wings. Alas, they caved to societal pressures (or economics) and now split them.