Attendance policy from JP...

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
There's no indication they're actually reseating people though.

Even if they were that wouldn't work at all for sections like the jack trice club where people pay more for the amenities- and it's usually wall to wall people in there
I am assuming that "the plan" right now is to meet the state requirement of no more than 50 percent capacity in the facility. It could also be possible that "distancing" once in the facility will be up to those in attendance. In that case, the distancing rules may not matter as much.

But this is just conjecture on my part.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Endzone club will be taped off and you will need to go directly to your seat. That I can almost guarantee

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I figure some folks may not be able to sit in the same seats they always have. And maybe folks will rotate locations. We used to do that with MBB student tickets when I was in school.

How are you going to rotate seats? Are they going to break up the season tickets scrips and mail them out by game?
You are going to have a lot of pissed off fans if you bought season tickets in the lower bowl, and then show up, find out you have to sit in the upper deck for a game, when your tickets are in the lower deck.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Even if they were that wouldn't work at all for sections like the jack trice club where people pay more for the amenities- and it's usually wall to wall people in there

Then what's the point? If you're going to sit people shoulder to shoulder then you might as well fill it up. The point of the 50% guidelines are to spread people out.

I'd guess there are no indications because they want to wait for all renewals to get in to see how to handle it. No point in making unpopular statements if only 50% of the club members renew. There's no guarantee that everyone that's normally a club member gets a club pass this year.

But these are all assumptions based on the CDC guidelines.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
How are you going to rotate seats? Are they going to break up the season tickets scrips and mail them out by game?
You are going to have a lot of pissed off fans if you bought season tickets in the lower bowl, and then show up, find out you have to sit in the upper deck for a game, when your tickets are in the lower deck.
Maybe they won't do this, but it could be done just like the mobile pass. Lots of schools are not even printing paper tickets anymore.

But I really think the only thing that matters from the perspective of the athletic department is meeting the 50 percent capacity regulation. People might just sit wherever they usually have.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Then what's the point? If you're going to sit people shoulder to shoulder then you might as well fill it up. The point of the 50% guidelines are to spread people out.

That's the problem. The 50% guidelines are pointless and ineffective in situations such as this

I'd guess there are no indications because they want to wait for all renewals to get in to see how to handle it. No point in making unpopular statements if only 50% of the club members renew. There's no guarantee that everyone that's normally a club member gets a club pass this year

I mean those tickets cost triple what a normal seat costs so it's not like they can renew someone there and then stick them somewhere else

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Saw a post on Facebook for students - "If they have bought tickets will have them for the this season"

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
People seem to be overlooking the fact that the 30K limit is not set by ISU but by the governor. Pollard's message certainly reads as if football attendance will also be raised past 30K if they're allowed to.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I'm probably wearing my mask to November games in the future anyway. I'm surprised at how warm they keep you. Not exactly looking forward to wearing a mask on 9/5 when it's 99 degrees and humid...

exactly. people arent wearing masks when it feels 102 outside and you sweat just sitting still.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

Have they given anything definitive saying they won't be reseating people? At this point I'm assuming that they will because it just seems ridiculous for them to not reseat people

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
We renewed our non-donor level seats back in March and I fully expect we'll likely get placed in one of the corners if they space things out. Doesn't bother me if it means getting to see games in person this year. I will be curious how the spacing works because you cant assume if you have a group of tickets it's the same household using them. I have 3 seats and the other 2 are used by friends. I wouldn't be scared sitting directly next to them but I would assume the spacing will be every other seat if 50% capacity. Just bring in chair backs and place them every other seat throughout the stadium and stagger them so you dont have someone directly in front or behind you?

I hope they dont eliminate tailgating entirely but I see the challenges of trying to restrict it since anyone can just walk up from off the street. Even at 50% going to the game there would be less vehicles so you wouldn't have to pack everyone in like sardines like normal.

Also I dont see BYOB or food being allowed unless you waive some of the clear bag policies which only would make lines longer if there was more inspection required. I'd love to avoid concessions by bringing in my own stuff but seems like too many issues it would create to make that happen.

Really curious to see what specific details will look like when it gets closer to FB season. I guess on the plus side the CyHawk game is in IC this year so they get the bad end of the deal with hosting less for it.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That's the problem. The 50% guidelines are pointless and ineffective in situations such as this

I mean those tickets cost triple what a normal seat costs so it's not like they can renew someone there and then stick them somewhere else

But basing this on how they're handling restaurants for example. They aren't just closing one half of the dining room and sitting people the same. They are only sitting people in every other table. That's how this is effective in the eyes of the CDC.

As far as ticket cost, I don't know how they'd handle that. I assume we'll get charged based on the section we end up in. Donations probably won't be refunded or reduced if you are moved up, but I can't imagine they'll charge the lower bowl price for upper bowl tickets. These are details better determined after June 12th when the AD has a better picture of demand.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think that if they do require masks to attend, that would help. Maybe even hand them out, like they've done with other things like rally towels, etc. I think even if they do though, there will be people who won't wear them. Some for political reasons, some because of personal phobias, and others will just forget to put them on or rip them by accident, etc. If they are made mandatory, I'd guess you'll have maybe 70-80% of people wearing them? Maybe a higher percent with tickets limited to season ticket holders.

Like you said though, it's May right now. Let's wait and see until September. Even October and November could be different. I'm hoping for the best.

Cue the students making a mask chain to go from top deck to lower deck, lol.

I'm guessing the players will be under testing protocols, etc...but can you imagine if they had to distance on the sidelines.....coach wearing a mask, etc. Nuts season ahead for sure! "ISU fans rush the field after securing big 12 title.....also now all of them are in 14 day isolation"

Lets just hope this all gets better by the Big 12 championship game/playoffs!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If its 50% capacity, I would imagine the easiest way to seat people is just checker board the entire stadium on seat selections. Then just have people pick their seats online in order of donation level. If you are family, just sit together.

It will end up looking similar to a spring game with clumps of people sitting together spaced randomly.
AR-180409628.jpg

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I'd guess there are no indications because they want to wait for all renewals to get in to see how to handle it. No point in making unpopular statements if only 50% of the club members renew. There's no guarantee that everyone that's normally a club member gets a club pass this year.

But these are all assumptions based on the CDC guidelines.

I may be wrong but I guess I thought the guidelines were more about the amount of people being exposed to one another, not the exposure itself. Social distancing will be a moot point when you're talking about 30k people. These rules are more about how many people you have going back to their communities after potentially being exposed than if people in attendance are getting each other sick.

I guess I don't see much point in worrying too much about any of this, it's just version 1.0 of how this will all work. 3 months in this Covid world is an eternity, I expect this process to change a lot before the season starts and even more changes after we see these plans put in motion.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
First, I think Jamie is mostly leveraging the 50% capacity in order to sell season tickets. Brilliant marketing.

Second, he comes off looking so good giving people the opportunity to opt out for this year without losing their seats for next year. He looks even better when compared to the opposite news from the Hoks.

Third, I think it will be 30,000 season tickets issued, but you will be on your own to choose the seats. There will be plenty of open places for you to spread out. Or you can stay tight with your buds. I expect the tickets will have new fine print and there will be lots of signs about their "mitigation efforts," but along with disclaimers of responsibility.

Fourth, we are likely to have extra tickets to sell for most games in the front row of the upper deck corner. It will be interesting to see what happens with market value.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I'm an out of state fan so its an easier call for me.

Looking forward to watching NBA, MLB, NFL, golf majors, and College football at the same time from my couch!!

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I get why people want more answers right now, but I believe JP did the best he could with the information available. The items that he did outline seemed very reasonable and well thought out. I also agree with him that Iowa State cannot assume the responsibility for absolute protection. Even at 30,000 capacity, enforcing strict rules will likely not be possible. Ultimately it comes down to whether or not you feel comfortable going to a game. I understand reasons for and against, and if I landed on the side of not going to games, all I would want was a way to get a refund on tickets and a way to reserve my tickets for next year. He's accomplished both of those things, which is big.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron