C-RTC & Recruiting

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Based from seeds Parker was 4th, Degen 8th & Carr 3rd. That’s two top five and one wasn’t “developed”. Regardless, I can’t speak for Slater, but I believe his point was team wise. ISU wasn’t going to be top 5 this year. I don’t see the talent on the roster now to be top 5. I don’t see the recruits to be top 5. Dresser and staff are doing a great job changing the culture and raising money. KD has formed a good staff. I think it was better with Zadick, but everyone needs to be on board. Metcalf needs to develop as a recruiter ASAP. The CRTC needs work as well. Acknowledging the weaknesses is the first step in changing them, not in trolling if you ask me. Not even remotely comparing the KJ reign to the KD reign, but I think part of the problem there was just what some have shown I this thread. Allowing and condoning the mediocracy. Everyone needs to acknowledge the weaknesses and demand improvement.

I was speaking more of as a top 5 team than individually. We can’t really count Carr as being developed and as I stated earlier that it’s very unfortunate that we weren’t able to show how good of a job our staff has done with our guys and unfortunately it’s gonna cost us on the recruiting trail.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I’m not saying they haven’t done a good job developing the talent they have, but none of them have been “developed” into top 5 talent besides possibly JD.
I don’t think he said the kids were developed to top 5, I believe he said the coaches were too 5 in development. I haven’t gone through every program, but if you look at recruiting rankings to college performance, this staff has done an undeniably good job with development.

431Welch

Apr 15, 2020
Crab, unfortunately that isn’t going to get this program where we want it. To your point they’ve done well with what they’ve got, but bottom line is they have to start with more to end with more. ISU has done it before. Pollard has ponied up the cash. Now KD has to produce. He could tweek the staff a bit. Upgrades need to be made to the facilities to keep up with the Jones’, Most importantly they absolutely need to do a better job of recruiting. If you are going to continue to hang your hat on they are doing good with what they got you are going to continue to be a 10-15 program and on a good year a top 10.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Crab, unfortunately that isn’t going to get this program where we want it. To your point they’ve done well with what they’ve got, but bottom line is they have to start with more to end with more. ISU has done it before. Pollard has ponied up the cash. Now KD has to produce. He could tweek the staff a bit. Upgrades need to be made to the facilities to keep up with the Jones’, Most importantly they absolutely need to do a better job of recruiting. If you are going to continue to hang your hat on they are doing good with what they got you are going to continue to be a 10-15 program and on a good year a top 10.
Totally agree. I have been very critical of the recruiting, and think ISU is in for some trouble if there aren’t multiple solid transfers coming in.

That said, just want to give credit where it’s due. This staff does a good job of developing the guys they have and getting them to compete at a high level. I’ll take that any day over the KJ era of high recruits with poor effort and bad performance.

431Welch

Apr 15, 2020
Crab, I can’t argue with that. Problem is I think too many people only see the positive and that leads to complacency with the current situation.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I certainly agree the poor recruiting is very disheartening. For the past couple of years, I keep thinking surely we'll see a recruiting boom any day now, but it never comes. I like the idea of a recruiting coordinator, but I have no idea where the cash for that would come from.

I wonder if the poor performances during the KJ years have hurt recruiting a bit too. All these kids coming out of high school recently really only remember ISU as a mediocre to bad team with a few decent standouts. i.e. Kyven. We have a great legacy, but most kids outside of our state don't know/don't care.

Our staff has a lot of great assets (coaching ability being the greatest), but they need to figure out how to sell kids on those assets...or hire someone who can.

431Welch

Apr 15, 2020
I’m not eluding to any misappropriation of funds, but I would be curious to where all the funds that KD & staff have done such a great job of raising have gone? Again, from a naive viewpoint I don’t know if Palmer, Miklus & Gadsen equate to the $600,000 raised. I’m sure there are other expenses, but if I was a larger donor than the $500, 2 season tickets & 2 Johnny’s passes that I was I’d be asking those questions.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m not eluding to any misappropriation of funds, but I would be curious to where all the funds that KD & staff have done such a great job of raising have gone? Again, from a naive viewpoint I don’t know if Palmer, Miklus & Gadsen equate to the $600,000 raised. I’m sure there are other expenses, but if I was a larger donor than the $500, 2 season tickets & 2 Johnny’s passes that I was I’d be asking those questions.

When Metcalf was hired his package was something like 150k or more. It has been 3 years now? So there is a big chunk.

Reactions: crablegs
Feb 2, 2018
I would also imagine that money doesn’t just sit in an account somewhere. It’s probably being invested and the market isn’t in the best spot right now.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012

Anyone else think 431 Welch and AC Slater are the same poster? This post is ridiculous.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Anyone else think 431 Welch and AC Slater are the same poster? This post is ridiculous.

It's not too difficult to understand that when you have a coach pulling funds off that amount that you would not have all that money. Let along travel, stipends and such for the athletes. Not sure what he was thinking.

Reactions: crablegs

431Welch

Apr 15, 2020
Sorry if that wasn’t a fair question. I’m guessing most of Metcalf’s salary is now paid by the university. I also believe the $600,000 raised was KD’s Cyclone Tree only. I believe since he’s come over he’s raised more than that. I could be wrong though. Whatever the amount it is a true testament to KD. He’s a hustler for sure. If you guys are ok with the majority of that going to the coaching staff and Nate Carr that’s your preogative. I for one would we rather had a better stable in the CRTC myself.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I assume some training money might not have gotten used, since trials and Last chance qualifier got cancelled. So we probably saved some travel/training money on sending Kyven, Willie and Joey to compete and train recently. Not sure if David Carr or others would have went anywhere this some, such as Junior level events that are now probably cancelled.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I remember my days on CR which ended probably 7 years ago. Hawkeye fans were flooding the place saying Perry would be a head coach in a couple years and was the hottest commodity out there. I got laughed at when I said ISU would not replace Jackson with him. Seems like he is bouncing around a lot still.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Sorry if that wasn’t a fair question. I’m guessing most of Metcalf’s salary is now paid by the university. I also believe the $600,000 raised was KD’s Cyclone Tree only. I believe since he’s come over he’s raised more than that. I could be wrong though. Whatever the amount it is a true testament to KD. He’s a hustler for sure. If you guys are ok with the majority of that going to the coaching staff and Nate Carr that’s your preogative. I for one would we rather had a better stable in the CRTC myself.
You are clueless. Nate Carr is not making much through the CWC. He does a lot of motivational speaking. Palmer is making minimum as volunteer coach. My educated guess is their budget is probably around $250 - $300k (maybe less) and as mentioned they will not spend their budget this year due to COVID. I’m sure they are building up their cash flow so they can retain future ISU post grads and invest in other top talent. It’s called running a business.

Reactions: csteve and CyTwins

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I remember my days on CR which ended probably 7 years ago. Hawkeye fans were flooding the place saying Perry would be a head coach in a couple years and was the hottest commodity out there. I got laughed at when I said ISU would not replace Jackson with him. Seems like he is bouncing around a lot still.
I would love to have Perry as head coach after Dresser.