C-RTC & Recruiting

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Just wondering for those in the know what is going on with our C-RTC??? Penn State gets Kyle Snyder and Thomas Gilman to leave their schools. Ohio State goes out and gets J'Den Cox. ASU gets Mark Perry away from Iowa. ISU has been fundraising for 3 years now. They have an Olympic house for athletes to live in for free and and have over $600,000 in donations. Yet we haven't added any athletes. Does this hurt our recruiting??? I just don't get the (ISU guys only to be in the RTC program). Get a few exciting "brand name" RTC athletes and add/change up our coaching staff. Maybe add a recruiting coordinator and a top name assistant even if its just a Volunteer spot.

Below is recruits we have landed in the latest 3 classes.
Top 100 big board recruits from 2019 - 2020 - 2021
125 Reeves #20
133 Redding #75
149 Paniro Johnson #36
157 Robinson #73
184 Broderson #89

Okie State hires Tyler Caldwell last year as their recruiting coordinator and in 2 recruiting classes 2020 & 2021 they have got the following....
125 Trevor Mastrogiovanni #13
133 Jakason Burks #54
141 Teague travis #56
149 Victor Voinovich #15
157 Travis Mastrogiovanni #9
157 Daniel Manibog #47
174 Luke Surber #63
184 Dustin Plott #11
197 AJ Ferrari #10
285 Kyle Haas #10
285 Konner Doucet #90

I just thought by now we would see ISU land big name recruits and have one of the best RTC programs around. Neither are even close to being true and I just don't understand what the hold up is?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just wondering for those in the know what is going on with our C-RTC??? Penn State gets Kyle Snyder and Thomas Gilman to leave their schools. Ohio State goes out and gets J'Den Cox. ASU gets Mark Perry away from Iowa. ISU has been fundraising for 3 years now. They have an Olympic house for athletes to live in for free and and have over $600,000 in donations. Yet we haven't added any athletes. Does this hurt our recruiting??? I just don't get the (ISU guys only to be in the RTC program). Get a few exciting "brand name" RTC athletes and add/change up our coaching staff. Maybe add a recruiting coordinator and a top name assistant even if its just a Volunteer spot.

Below is recruits we have landed in the latest 3 classes.
Top 100 big board recruits from 2019 - 2020 - 2021
125 Reeves #20
133 Redding #75
149 Paniro Johnson #36
157 Robinson #73
184 Broderson #89

Okie State hires Tyler Caldwell last year as their recruiting coordinator and in 2 recruiting classes 2020 & 2021 they have got the following....
125 Trevor Mastrogiovanni #13
133 Jakason Burks #54
141 Teague travis #56
149 Victor Voinovich #15
157 Travis Mastrogiovanni #9
157 Daniel Manibog #47
174 Luke Surber #63
184 Dustin Plott #11
197 AJ Ferrari #10
285 Kyle Haas #10
285 Konner Doucet #90

I just thought by now we would see ISU land big name recruits and have one of the best RTC programs around. Neither are even close to being true and I just don't understand what the hold up is?
The air gets really thin at the top.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I don’t think this is something you can build overnight. Dresser is laying the groundwork.

Gomez is a very credentialed freestyler, and will need a place to land in a few years. That home and that money will allow him to stay here.

Same with David Carr, but even more so.

Miklus and Gadson are both around. They also brought in Palmer.

The program isn’t, imo, ready to bring in a huge name. But, the backbone is being put in place and in 4-5 years the structure will be there to keep Gomez and Carr and maybe bring in another big name or two.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
600,000 is not a lot of money PSU had one 5 million dollar donor a few years back

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
600k in the bank would be right at the top of all RTC's though. Penn State is the exception to everything here. They have millions... no one else is in 7 figures cash on hand.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
600k in the bank would be right at the top of all RTC's though. Penn State is the exception to everything here. They have millions... no one else is in 7 figures cash on hand.

Where did you hear we have $600,000 in the bank? Not that I disagree or know, just curious where you heard that

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Where did you hear we have $600,000 in the bank? Not that I disagree or know, just curious where you heard that
Sorry, I read the previous poster as implying that in comparison to Penn State's numbers. I don't know any of that to be factual!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Sorry, I read the previous poster as implying that in comparison to Penn State's numbers. I don't know any of that to be factual!

No need to apologize. We might of had that after various fundraisers, but this is basically the end of the season and getting ready to start a new fundraising season. I would be surprised we have anywhere near that much in the bank. But I have no idea.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
We were all worried about Metcalf leaving a week ago. I don't really understand why. We seem to be getting closer to OkSt right now but we are about to drop back big after next year. The fact we landed 0 big fish in the last two classes outside of Aden Reeves is a recruiting disaster. Voinovich is basically going to have to pay his way at OkSt. We are in on and can land no one. We are going to have a highly paid staff that seems to take off during the recruiting months.

Not getting to showcase this team at Nationals was a major setback for the program. They needed the wrestling world to see them, and instead every last top recruit went to one of the best 5 programs of the last decade.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
We were all worried about Metcalf leaving a week ago. I don't really understand why. We seem to be getting closer to OkSt right now but we are about to drop back big after next year. The fact we landed 0 big fish in the last two classes outside of Aden Reeves is a recruiting disaster. Voinovich is basically going to have to pay his way at OkSt. We are in on and can land no one. We are going to have a highly paid staff that seems to take off during the recruiting months.

Not getting to showcase this team at Nationals was a major setback for the program. They needed the wrestling world to see them, and instead every last top recruit went to one of the best 5 programs of the last decade.
Dead on.

Recruiting has been AWFUL. And It won’t get any better until certain individuals wake up! After next year, our roster looks like a top 30-40 program At best imo. Take out a legacy recruit that we hired his dad to get him here, we have been absolutely dreadful at landing top recruits. Even Reeves we got flipped from Campbell. He Was injured and out his entire senior year. He wasn’t being recruited by all the big dogs.

Read the recent interview with DSJ and that will tell you all you need to know about our recruiting philosophies. The staff has the CPR football staff recruiting abilities/tactics written all over it. If our paid assistant coaches can’t recruit then we need to hire a recruiting coordinator and take one of the off the road. Dresser obviously wasn’t the recruiter at VT. Robie has been still killing it on the recruiting trail at VT. #6 class again this year..

We shouldn’t be having classes not rated in the top 25, EVER. Absolutely embarrassing.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Dead on.

Recruiting has been AWFUL. And It won’t get any better until certain individuals wake up! After next year, our roster looks like a top 30-40 program At best imo. Take out a legacy recruit that we hired his dad to get him here, we have been absolutely dreadful at landing top recruits. Even Reeves we got flipped from Campbell. He Was injured and out his entire senior year. He wasn’t being recruited by all the big dogs.

Read the recent interview with DSJ and that will tell you all you need to know about our recruiting philosophies. The staff has the CPR football staff recruiting abilities/tactics written all over it. If our paid assistant coaches can’t recruit then we need to hire a recruiting coordinator and take one of the off the road. Dresser obviously wasn’t the recruiter at VT. Robie has been still killing it on the recruiting trail at VT. #6 class again this year..

We shouldn’t be having classes not rated in the top 25, EVER. Absolutely embarrassing.

The cupboard in both our college program and rtc are very bare. Our staff has missed on every blue chip recruit besides a legacy recruit and we have an rtc that has duplexes and a coach (Legacy recruits dad) but no athletes besides Gadson and Willie. I hate to say it but the only thing our staff has done at a top 5 level where I expect us to be is raise money and unfortunately we haven’t seen the benefits of that and I’m not sure if we will before KD has to start letting his staff go.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
The cupboard in both our college program and rtc are very bare. Our staff has missed on every blue chip recruit besides a legacy recruit and we have an rtc that has duplexes and a coach (Legacy recruits dad) but no athletes besides Gadson and Willie. I hate to say it but the only thing our staff has done at a top 5 level where I expect us to be is raise money and unfortunately we haven’t seen the benefits of that and I’m not sure if we will before KD has to start letting his staff go.

I would argue they have also developed kids at a top 5 level/completely changed the culture of the room in less than 2 years

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
I would argue they have also developed kids at a top 5 level/completely changed the culture of the room in less than 2 years

But unfortunately we don’t have the results to show that we developed them at a top 5 level.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Sure there is. Look at performance vs recruiting ranking.

I’m not saying they haven’t done a good job developing the talent they have, but none of them have been “developed” into top 5 talent besides possibly JD.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Parker, Degen and Carr are all top 5 when healthy. I can't argue Carrs growth because he was highly rated out of high school. The other twos development is easy to see IMO.

431Welch

Apr 15, 2020
Based from seeds Parker was 4th, Degen 8th & Carr 3rd. That’s two top five and one wasn’t “developed”. Regardless, I can’t speak for Slater, but I believe his point was team wise. ISU wasn’t going to be top 5 this year. I don’t see the talent on the roster now to be top 5. I don’t see the recruits to be top 5. Dresser and staff are doing a great job changing the culture and raising money. KD has formed a good staff. I think it was better with Zadick, but everyone needs to be on board. Metcalf needs to develop as a recruiter ASAP. The CRTC needs work as well. Acknowledging the weaknesses is the first step in changing them, not in trolling if you ask me. Not even remotely comparing the KJ reign to the KD reign, but I think part of the problem there was just what some have shown I this thread. Allowing and condoning the mediocracy. Everyone needs to acknowledge the weaknesses and demand improvement.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron