***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So now you're just making **** up? I literally said multiple times in the last couple days we should take him as a role player, and that he would be fun to root for lol.

You said he'd be the 9th guy to come in on our team lol. I don't have to listen to DBPM all off season at least

Reactions: CyPunch

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
You said he'd be the 9th guy to come in on our team lol. I don't have to listen to DBPM all off season at least

Idk how many times I have to prove you wrong in a single thread but here we go again.

I agree, Gomez is a take as a role player. Plus he'd be fun as hell to root for when he checks in. We just need CSP to pull a + rating player to get us a chance at a bid next year.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Now the takes get to spin from "Gomez isn't good enough" to "Prohm can't land any of our targets, terrible recruiter".
I wanted Gomez, but these things aren’t really mutually exclusive or contradictory.

You can think Gomez is an ineffective Plan C level guy, AND see it as a bad sign Prohm can’t land even low level role player types.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I see this as more of a safe choice for Gomez. A jump from the Big West to the Mountain West is not nearly the leap it would be from the Big West to the Big 12. His size limitations won't be as exploitable in the Mountain West, and he'll be able to compete better. Not to say he couldn't in the Big 12, but it certainly would've been a larger risk for him.

At any rate, another guy is off the table for Prohm, and while there's still plenty of time on the clock, things aren't looking great. I don't really like where we stand with Turner (seems like a Mizzou lean) or Aiken (seems he'll pick somewhere on the east coast). If Prohm can't start sealing some deals, 2020-21 will be an unmitigated disaster.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
You’re focusing on offense?
It looked ugly last year because it destroyed our ability to play defense.

Where Foster plays on offense isn’t the determining factor. As a freshman he’s not likely to look too much better than Jacobson (as a Jr?) which would earn him many freshman accolades

Not only O. We were not a good rebounding team last year, giving up way too many offensive boards to other teams. When we played more effective "small ball" in the past, it was with bigger wings that could rebound, such as a Hogue or Ejim or even Shayock. My thoughts can change based on who we add to the team via transfers, but playing '4-out' won't work without better shooters.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
We just need 1 Tier 1 Guard....1.

Landing 1 Turner or Aiken type guard puts us in the competive realm.. BC a lineup of

Turner
Bolton
Tre
Javon
Solo

Gets us into a starting 5 that is more than competive IMO...

Steve will either pony$$ up and get someone or he won't and we will be looking at another under.500 year..

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We just need 1 Tier 1 Guard....1.

Landing 1 Turner or Aiken type guard puts us in the competive realm.. BC a lineup of

Turner
Bolton
Tre
Javon
Solo

Gets us into a starting 5 that is more than competive IMO...

Steve will either pony$$ up and get someone or he won't and we will be looking at another under.500 year..
I do think this is what it comes down to with these spring recruits, sadly. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't, and it would explain Steve's struggles a lot. You know he's a straight shooter.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Not only O. We were not a good rebounding team last year, giving up way too many offensive boards to other teams. When we played more effective "small ball" in the past, it was with bigger wings that could rebound, such as a Hogue or Ejim or even Shayock. My thoughts can change based on who we add to the team via transfers, but playing '4-out' won't work without better shooters.
Relating this to Foster, it’s why he’s not likely to be our 4. Just like MJ, you’re going to struggle if you don’t get the benefits of being “big”, just the negatives. Foster will be a better shot-blocker, but as a freshman he’s not going to defend the perimeter better, rebound or defend in the paint better, and may not shoot college 3Ps much better.

A sophomore or junior Foster, hopefully that’s different!

Unfortunately, I think they exploited whomever we put out there last year, regardless of size.
Right, it’s understandable why MJ played. Had JJ, Blackwell, or even Dubar been available, MJ sees less time at the 4.

Like I said, we’re in trouble if that’s the case next year. Foster is unlikely to be better than MJ as a freshman. The wings should see a lot of time there.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
I panicked about the condition of the BBall program last December. It will take a major recruiting victory at the PG position to right the ship. The good news is that is a position that Steve has excelled at identifying. The bad news is that he is not particularly adept at navigating the spring recruiting landscape.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Now the takes get to spin from "Gomez isn't good enough" to "Prohm can't land any of our targets, terrible recruiter".

I mean, he is a terrible coach and the Gomez thing isn’t really the evidence any of us need to know that

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Imo most Big 12 teams will be able to exploit us having Foster and Young (or Conditt) both out there.

On the other end, I’m not sure Foster makes up for it. I think/hope he’ll be a good 3P shooting big man, but why not just have a wing then? Will he shoot the college 3P that much better than our wings? Will he rebound that much better?

One exception is if we go zone. Two 7 footers is intriguing!
He's an athletic 7 footer who has the ability to stretch the floor while also being able to post up guys that are smaller than him. If he can do both of those things, he'll play the 4 sometimes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron