Terrence Lewis transferring

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This says it all.
We all know that Lewis isn't up to the Big 12, and neither was Griffin. It's that we don't have a conference-ready roster at all.
I think Bolton and Solomon are for sure Big 12 Caliber. I think both Conditt and Jackson are right there but need one more off season of work to polish out some things. Johnson is a question mark because we just don't know yet but from what I've heard he'll be very nice next year.

We can build off those guys. Two freshman need to contribute some and Prohm needs to find two guys that can make impacts right away. Lewis and Griffin weren't Big 12 caliber players and at this moment, neither was Grill. All together, those guys attributed together total around like 14 ppg or something. I will not be happy if Prohm can't find two guys that can do at least that while also bringing a lot more to the table defensively.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think Bolton and Solomon are for sure Big 12 Caliber. I think both Conditt and Jackson are right there but need one more off season of work to polish out some things. Johnson is a question mark because we just don't know yet but from what I've heard he'll be very nice next year.

We can build off those guys. Two freshman need to contribute some and Prohm needs to find two guys that can make impacts right away. Lewis and Griffin weren't Big 12 caliber players and at this moment, neither was Grill. All together, those guys attributed together total around like 14 ppg or something. I will not be happy if Prohm can't find two guys that can do at least that while also bringing a lot more to the table defensively.

Bolton has a chance.
Young is a very solid contributor against the bottom half of the Big 12. He's not going to go light it up beyond that.

Prohm and "right now" transfers is just not a thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycl1

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Bolton has a chance.
Young is a very solid contributor against the bottom half of the Big 12. He's not going to go light it up beyond that.

Prohm and "right now" transfers is just not a thing.
Solomon is not as good as the bigs from KU, WVU, or Baylor but those are some of the best bigs in the nation. He can still hold his own against them but will never shine bright against them.

I disagree with Bolton considering he was honorable mention and was only a sophomore.

And Prohm's track record for "right now" transfers hasn't been good, but his last one has worked out very nicely so far (Bolton). He's going to have to find two guys similar to Bolton as far as production or else we won't be good and Prohm will be gone.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12 and aobie

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
The bad thing is we recruited them in the first place when they don’t develop very much.

On the recruiting end, you have to ask the question if they are the result of bad evaluation, or if they were fallback recruits because we didn't close the deal on closer to sure things? That helps dial into which problem we have if it is a recruiting challenge. If neither is an issue, then you have to look at the players, their development and the role they were put into to see challenges.

Reactions: isu83

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Not really this optimistic but let’s just say some things work out for us this year. Johnson and Blackwell both have some ball handling and play making ability so they can provide some of that to make up for their not being a “true” PG between Tre and Rasir.

I think this season was an eye opener for Tre when it came to the simple ball handling fundamentals it takes to play at this level and I think he’ll vastly improve there this offseason now that he understands the intensity of the defenses he is going against. Not necessarily improve all around like Naz did, but at least in ball handling. Tre shot 38% from 3 in B12 play and is a willing defender who will learn to foul less.

Then you just gotta find a couple dudes this spring season and we’ll be fine haha.

Ball handling was not Naz's strength, even by his last years. His strength was his ability to shoot, and then as a senior when players tried to come out hard and drive him off the 3-line, he was a great slasher from the wing going to the hole hard. That angle is different ball-handling than the level we need from the PG. I love Naz as an all-time great Cyclone, but he was a ball handling liability when he first arrived.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I remember the 1994/95 team that had Hoiberg, Meyer, Beechum, and Michalyk as Seniors and remember thinking “man, we are going to suck for awhile.” I thought the same thing in 98/99 when Fizer led the team to a 15-15 record with a limited supporting cast.

Granted it was different times but in both scenarios, we were a couple role players/additions away from being great. I think we need a relentless rebounder, distributor, and a shooter.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
In this scenario, my concern is that it seems to take Steve awhile, longer than many, to settle on a line-up as he puts the pieces together. I think he can mold a team but it takes a while. It seems like he sticks with his original plan on line longer than others, before experimenting with different starting line-ups for sure, and to some extent combinations.

Maybe he can learn from Bill Fennelly, Bill put more line ups out this yr than I can ever remember him doing, granted it was because of injuries but he kept that team together and had a pretty solid season for all the turmoil it had.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Ball handling was not Naz's strength, even by his last years. His strength was his ability to shoot, and then as a senior when players tried to come out hard and drive him off the 3-line, he was a great slasher from the wing going to the hole hard. That angle is different ball-handling than the level we need from the PG. I love Naz as an all-time great Cyclone, but he was a ball handling liability when he first arrived.

Naz was a fine ball handler and pretty damn good at driving to the hoop by the end of his career. He improved every year.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Shallow metric.

McD played 16 games in conference. Prohm plays 18.

The Big 12 used to have a lot of junk, hopeless programs at the bottom. No longer.

McD never played an OOC schedule like the one we just played, too.

Put the best McD team on the court versus the 2018 or the 2020 Prohm teams, and I bet the set of them are all pretty evenly matched with one another.
We lost by 16 to the worst team in the conference, who had their worst season in the history of their program.

We lost 2 games to the conference 8 seed.

The 7 seed beat us at home by 30. A program worst.

Most losses in 44 years.

Famu.

The first and third worst loss in Hilton history.

But sure, not worse than the McDermott era.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We lost by 16 to the worst team in the conference, who had their worst season in the history of their program.

We lost 2 games to the conference 8 seed.

The 7 seed beat us at home by 30. A program worst.

Most losses in 44 years.

Famu.

The first and third worst loss in Hilton history.

But sure, not worse than the McDermott era.

Don't make me relate some of the McD years in the same way. You will not like it.

Plus, McD had one win against a ranked opponent his entire tenure in Ames.

Even this goat rodeo of a team still beat a very solid Seton Hall team.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Don't make me relate some of the McD years in the same way. You will not like it.

Plus, McD had one win against a ranked opponent his entire tenure in Ames.

Even this goat rodeo of a team still beat a very solid Seton Hall team.
Whose best player was hurt.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I’m ok if we keep Prohm or let him go, I think at minimum he needs to make some huge changes. Overhaul the staff, change his approach, implement a new system geared towards his players... something. This whole good one season bad the next isn’t ideal. With his track record we are due for another good one, but we need to stay good. No more historically bad.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Whose best player was hurt.

I'll take one against a wounded bird than one in four years.

Even the bad 2018 Prohm team had *three* wins over ranked foes.

I know last year sucked, and I am not satisfied with it either, but some of these "worst season in school history" posts are hyperbolic. Prohm's floor was McD's ceiling.