Caleb Grill Transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is mindblowing honestly. I know there is no reason to keep beating up Prohm but is it just misses in recruiting? Or is about not developing? I don't think he's terrible at player development but it seems like he does much better with transfers, veteran guys than he does developing freshmen. Not trying to downplay guys like LW or THT bc he deserves credit for them but they were probably going to be pro's no matter what. Tyrese is obviously a nod to his strengths in both areas but its seems like all 3 are kind of the exception more than the rule. It's still more likely, a HS recruit of his won't make it here than go pro or even finish their eligibility at ISU.
It's been brought up, but most of Steve's recruits have either left early because they were good enough to or told they were good enough to, or they have left because they were not good enough. There is no problem with having great recruits but if your role guys are not Big 12 caliber, you're not going to succeed. They're either going to stay here and we won't be good, or they're going to transfer elsewhere.

Maybe the new class and the new transfers will fit well with one another but I think that's only going to happen if Steve can land Big 12 ready guys, which are going to be hard to come by. It seems as though Steve has gotten in early on a couple of them, which is promising, but doesn't mean we're going to end up with them.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Free flowing offense? Come on. These guys rarely even move.
Steve's offenses have been pretty free flowing honestly. He doesn't stick you in a stagnant offense where you're robotic, rather he runs quick hitters to let guys make plays. Last year's largest issue on offense was we had a bunch of combo guards and a bunch of centers. We really didn't have a 3 or 4 man, and after Tyrese went down, we didn't have a PG. When Tyrese was healthy, our offense wasn't THAT bad, but we weren't making any shots, and a ton of those shots were wide freaking open. We didn't have anyone outside of Tyrese and Bolton who could effectively take the ball to the basket, and Tyrese is so unselfish that even if he did take it to the rack, he'd see someone open and pass it to them which usually led to a missed shot.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think Grill leaving is a serious issue as far as impacting what this team's ceiling can be, but what really is a kick to the nads is the fact that if we couldn't already say it, we sure can now: the 2019 recruiting class is the worst in the program's history. Just a complete waste and lost year. More players will be added in the coming years, but right now Tre Jackson is a lone ranger in the class of 2023. You simply can't have this kind of attrition at this level. Prohm faces a monster of an uphill battle now, as he tries to recover from one of the worst seasons in program history, and possibly worst recruiting class in program history. I'll always cheer for the Cyclones regardless of the coach, but this needs to change dramatically for the better if prohm is going to survive.

Grill, at best, probably a role player on this team. I would have been ok with him being a 4 year role player honestly. Maybe he never averages more than 7 ppg in a season, but he could've been a nice guy to have off the bench for energy and shooting. What I don't understand is what does Caleb want in all of this? Does he want to be the star? One would think being a contributing role player on a team he grew up cheering for would be enough for him. If it's a deal where he didn't think he could compete with what prohm is bringing in next season, then good riddance. Regardless of the reason why, I always hate to see people go.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Listening to the title IX pod, they mentioned Jay is doing a podcast with Conditt Sr and will be posted soon. If so, it’d shock me if GC was another transfer

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Steve Phrom recruits like the Cleveland Browns. May hit a couple big ones but misses so often the team sucks and has lots of turn over and unrest.

I don’t want to be the Cleveland Browns of Big 12 basketball.

At least they were good in the 1940s and 1950s. We were not.

Reactions: BringBackJohnny

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
I don't think Grill leaving is a serious issue as far as impacting what this team's ceiling can be, but what really is a kick to the nads is the fact that if we couldn't already say it, we sure can now: the 2019 recruiting class is the worst in the program's history. Just a complete waste and lost year. More players will be added in the coming years, but right now Tre Jackson is a lone ranger in the class of 2023. You simply can't have this kind of attrition at this level. Prohm faces a monster of an uphill battle now, as he tries to recover from one of the worst seasons in program history, and possibly worst recruiting class in program history. I'll always cheer for the Cyclones regardless of the coach, but this needs to change dramatically for the better if prohm is going to survive.

Grill, at best, probably a role player on this team. I would have been ok with him being a 4 year role player honestly. Maybe he never averages more than 7 ppg in a season, but he could've been a nice guy to have off the bench for energy and shooting. What I don't understand is what does Caleb want in all of this? Does he want to be the star? One would think being a contributing role player on a team he grew up cheering for would be enough for him. If it's a deal where he didn't think he could compete with what prohm is bringing in next season, then good riddance. Regardless of the reason why, I always hate to see people go.
Count Terrence Lewis out now too.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Steve Phrom recruits like the Cleveland Browns. May hit a couple big ones but misses so often the team sucks and has lots of turn over and unrest.

I don’t want to be the Cleveland Browns of Big 12 basketball.

Or the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Or the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The LeBron/Kyrie/Love Cavs were a pretty great team.

Great enough to beat the Splash Brothers Dubs once, a historically great team, one year, and still challenge them with depleted rosters other years.