Caleb Grill Transferring

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We are down 7 players at this point from where we should have been at the start of the season assuming Tyrese goes pro.

2 never made it to campus
2 graduate
2 transfer
1 goes pro

And that is just the start. Rumors are up to 2+ more people are going to transfer.

Let's say 2 more transfer. That makes 9.
9 players in a 1 year span leaving a program. We can only have 15. That is 60 percent. This isn't a brand new coach clearing house. This is year 6.
Without naming names, do you have an inclination on who else it could be?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If a program craters in the woods does it make a sound?

Ingenious to fall off the cliff in an incomplete season with the next one in real jeopardy.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I find it comical that many of you are sitting here, predicting that a current freshman wasnt going to be a big 12 caliber player after playing in a limited role this year. You have no idea how he was going to develop.
No one knows where he was going to end up. He could've been really good. He also might not have developed much more. I'd say people are quite split on their feelings about him being a significant impact next season or the season after but most people are in agreement that him leaving is a huge shock and we would've rather he stayed.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Lol, all you Prohmers, whats your defense for this mid major league caliber of a coach? You all remind me how you were so content with useless Paul Rhoads until you couldn’t defend his pathetic coaching anymore. ISU basketball is going downhill until coach Prohm gets fired. You should be thankful you are all not watching march madness on tv this year. Nobody loves to see anybody lose a job but Prohm is not the right person for this ISU job and besides, he will be okay financially.
"All you Prohmers"??
C'mon, the board doesn't need another guy who thinks he's saying something profound by declaring Iowa St needs to fire Prohm. There's maybe 2 or 3 posters that fully support him.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The only rumors are from people on here. I would guess Lewis. I don't see anyone else leaving
Yeah me too.. I mean don't get me wrong Grill leaving surprised me but I just don't see Conditt, Solo, Bolton, or Jackson leaving. I also don't see any of the incoming recruits leaving either. Especially if Lewis does end up grad transferring, it seems like every one of these freshman are looking at our roster and see a lot of minutes that need to be filled.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I find it comical that many of you are sitting here, predicting that a current freshman wasnt going to be a big 12 caliber player after playing in a limited role this year. You have no idea how he was going to develop.

People have no idea about a lot of things but it doesn't stop them from presenting their opinion as fact.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
There seems to be only one obvious name for who may transfer but I think you could have said the same for him after last year. I wouldn't blame TL but I hope he sticks around. Anyone other than him would be a big surprise but Grill was a surprise, so who knows.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Grill and Griffin somehow improve that?
I don't think either of them improve that. But it just highlights how poor of a job Prohm has done at keeping recruiting classes. They're either good enough to play professionally and leave early, or they leave early for another reason. The 2020-2021 team will end up having 3 players remaining from the 3 previous recruiting (Lewis, Jackson, Conditt).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No idea. I am just going off the rumors in this thread that said <2 potentially.

Even if no one else goes we would still be down almost 50%. Not that they are all solid contributers, just seems like a lot.
Yeah I mean next year was going to feel like we lost a lot anyway honestly. Most people thought we'd lose two to the transfer portal and Tyrese would turn pro. If TL ends up staying, then we're still in the same boat, but lose someone we didn't expect.

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but we do know how it looks from the outside and it does not look promising. Steve is going to have to do a hell of a job pitching this program to JUCOs and transfers. One probable bright side is that guys are going to want to go somewhere where they can play on a big stage and put up numbers. I assume they'll want to play in a free flowing offense as well. That's a positive for us because we fit all of those things. We're just going to have to wait and see who ends up on the roster and go from there.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't think either of them improve that. But it just highlights how poor of a job Prohm has done at keeping recruiting classes. They're either good enough to play professionally and leave early, or they leave early for another reason. The 2020-2021 team will end up having 3 players remaining from the 3 previous recruiting (Lewis, Jackson, Conditt).

This is mindblowing honestly. I know there is no reason to keep beating up Prohm but is it just misses in recruiting? Or is about not developing? I don't think he's terrible at player development but it seems like he does much better with transfers, veteran guys than he does developing freshmen. Not trying to downplay guys like LW or THT bc he deserves credit for them but they were probably going to be pro's no matter what. Tyrese is obviously a nod to his strengths in both areas but its seems like all 3 are kind of the exception more than the rule. It's still more likely, a HS recruit of his won't make it here than go pro or even finish their eligibility at ISU.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah I mean next year was going to feel like we lost a lot anyway honestly. Most people thought we'd lose two to the transfer portal and Tyrese would turn pro. If TL ends up staying, then we're still in the same boat, but lose someone we didn't expect.

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but we do know how it looks from the outside and it does not look promising. Steve is going to have to do a hell of a job pitching this program to JUCOs and transfers. One probable bright side is that guys are going to want to go somewhere where they can play on a big stage and put up numbers. I assume they'll want to play in a free flowing offense as well. That's a positive for us because we fit all of those things. We're just going to have to wait and see who ends up on the roster and go from there.

Free flowing offense? Come on. These guys rarely even move.

CycloneJoe6

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
Agree with this. How many people thought Naz was going to be a big contributor after his freshman year?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron