Are we being to harsh

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
It wasn't just shot selection, it was attitude last night.
4-5 possessions without a single pass.
Catching a ball standing out of bounds.
Careless turnover letting someone come up from behind on a 1 on 5 fastbreak.
lackluster defense.

Grill needs to get his head straight and start making shots - but at this point theres not a reason Nixon isn't in a very limited backup role. He completely plays lost out there.
I have tried to defend Nixon most of the year. I must admit, his second half last night was not good. I actually thought he played a decent first half, with one huge exception, shooting and shot selection. I thought he defended and rebounded well. Second half, he just came off the rails. On occasion, being a primary ball handler, he gets stuck hoisting up a bad shot to beat the clock. Once last night he forced a bad shot when nobody was moving to provide him a passing lane. You could see he was frustrated over it. But, that said, I think we are better when he sits. He needs to just play defense, rebound and not turn it over. Do not shoot unless a layup or a desperation shot to beat the buzzer. Takes too many bad shots.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
Thinking about what we lost after last year? I think I might have just expected to much this season. We lost THT, Wigginton, Shayok. That’s is a ton of scoring and talent.

I think I am changing my thought process and want to see what we are
Like next season and the season after. Changing the coach does not always make things better. Prohm has ha d some good teams and we have won a lot of games with him.

Can't believe you got 20 "dislikes" on this thread without being negative or obnoxious in your comments??? It is exactly what you mentioned! Lost 3 players to the Pro League and we have obviously suffered. I'll take my stock in what Fraschilla said, that Prohm is his own worst enemy of recruiting, and leave it at that.

What really sucks is that we get 3 and 4 star recruits; we turn them into "5" star recruits and we can't re-load with the likes of NC and Duke with other 5 star recruits without tutoring them for a year or two! We have some serious players coming back next year with a tremendous recruiting class to add, so I'm hoping for the best. It's a bad year, obviously, but the future should still be bright....

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I know the revision is that this team should have certainly been in the hunt for a natty. After all with the history of our program being what it is, what’s achieving more than all but one team in the 115 years of basketball played at this place?

A few years of better than average, but exciting basketball has left a large portion of our fan base with unfounded and unrealistic expectations.

I love the "underachieved with that amount of talent" crowd, but my favorites are all of the expert D1 coaches that we seem to have on here.

It's amazing how all of them know everything about coaching and none of them have actually coached basketball at any meaningful level.

Full disclosure - I am dropping my season tickets that I have had for 50 years. What a laugh.

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
A few years of better than average, but exciting basketball has left a large portion of our fan base with unfounded and unrealistic expectations.

I love the "underachieved with that amount of talent" crowd, but my favorites are all of the expert D1 coaches that we seem to have on here.

It's amazing how all of them know everything about coaching and none of them have actually coached basketball at any meaningful level.

Full disclosure - I am dropping my season tickets that I have had for 50 years. What a laugh.

hard to tell if you're kidding, but if you've had season tickets since before Johnny Orr, I'll assume you are keeping them :)

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Good news!! Hard to tell on this board sometimes. I'm 30 years in and I will NEVER give up my tix unless the coronavirus strikes me dead;)

It's because you are a true fanatic who supports his team through thick and thin.

And in the last 30 years of ISU Basketball there has been as much thin as thick, despite what some around here believe.

(15 NCAA Tournament appearances in last 30 years.)

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It's because you are a true fanatic who supports his team through thick and thin.

And in the last 30 years of ISU Basketball there has been as much thin as thick, despite what some around here believe.

starting with Ohio State in Tulsa

17-18 overall tournament record.
1 Elite eight
4 Sweet 16’
5 Round of 32

ok results over 35 years.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Thinking about what we lost after last year? I think I might have just expected to much this season. We lost THT, Wigginton, Shayok. That’s is a ton of scoring and talent.

Like next season and the season after. Changing the coach does not always make things better. Prohm has had some good teams and we have won a lot of games with him.
I respectfully disagree. And for further reference, it is expecting TOO much. Not TO much. I expect Cyclone basketball to always be striving for the NCAA tournament every year. Will we always make it? No. But I'll be damned if we haven't evolved this program to a point to never have a season like they are having now. It's completely unacceptable. It's a fireable offense.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Like next season and the season after. Changing the coach does not always make things better. Prohm has had some good teams and we have won a lot of games with him.

My expectations might have been unrealistic, or at minimum overly hopeful at the beginning of the season. If that is harsh, then I am guilty. However, to watch the TTech game, especially half of the second half and to see what looked like quitting, then no, I don't think we were too harsh. It is one thing to get beat on talent, but to essentially not compete warrants a certain amount of criticism.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

By my count Prohm is on pace to have 2 of the 10 losing seasons in that time frame, a more unusual feat.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I get it, you don't want him as the coach.

I'm more OK with him being the coach than others, and hope he turns it around for his and ISU's stake, but I'm not sure how another losing season next year keeps him around if it happens.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
The fan base being too harsh/still caring is better than apathy.

I am leaning toward apathy. Hopefully next year will be surprisingly good, but will be skeptical until they prove something.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: BigCyFan and Cydkar

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I'm more OK with him being the coach than others, and hope he turns it around for his and ISU's stake, but I'm not sure how another losing season next year keeps him around if it happens.
I think he has probably earned his chance to redeem himself next year, but I don't think it will get turned around in 1 year. Next year we look to have 1 contributing senior in Young. A decent junior in Bolton, a question mark transfer, and some sophomores who need to improve a bunch, but who have been making strides. Freshman are all wildcards.

I don't see it as likely for us to make the NCAA tourney, which means prohm will have taken us from going what, 7 years in a row, to missing 3 of 4 with 1 first round loss in the year we did make it, and that shouldn't be acceptable. So might as well cut our losses ahead of time.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Yes and no. There are moments when this team seems decent. There are times when they are really bad. This team needs an Alpha and a ball handler. The Freshmen are coming around. Young is coming around.

I think fans would be more laid back about this year if the team last year would have made a run in the tourney. All that talent and one and done just doesn't sit well.

Meh, it was very flawed talent. Certainly not the kind that forms a good team. Probably over recruited those marginal early NBA players. If they had stayed for 4 years they would have been very good, but freshman are rarely consistent. Very talented and even more inconsistent describes Wigginton, THT, and Lard.

Prohm definitely gets another year, if he makes the tourney or the team really comes on at the end of the year and just barely misses, he stays. I get frustrated with some of the same things others do here, but many are just over the top with their criticism and dislike of Prohm. Firing a coach at this point will likely only set the program back further. For the Hoiberg forever fans he may be available sooner than Prohm.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron