This is why Prohm must go........

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What does a well-coached team look like?
  • Knows where to be on defense.
  • Takes care of the basketball.
  • Runs the offense correctly.
  • Players know their role.
  • Good shot selection.
  • Knows what they are supposed to do in situations (facing the press, running inbounds plays, defending inbounds plays, end of half plays, etc).
  • Plays hard and hustles.

In short, they know what they are supposed to be doing, and they do it most of the time.

This does not mean they block every shot, never foul, make every shot, get every rebound, and never turn the ball over. Sometimes the other guy gets is just as well-coached, and/or is quicker, taller, jumps higher, or just beats you to where you are going. UNI is well-coached imho, but they would have a tall order to beat Kansas or Baylor. Talent matters, and getting talent is part of a coach's responsibility too. But a well-coached team plays above their natural talent level, not below it.

Has Iowa State looked well-coached under Steve Prohm?

150 pages of BS about Fred, FAMU, a 16 beating a 1, the Big12 tourney win, Fred's guys, transfers, discipline issues, lineups, UAB, McDermott, and all the rest.... it's all Red Herrings. Distractions.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So Roy Williams is on par with with Steve Prohm. Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

People getting this emotionally responsive to things at this point in this bad of a season is interesting.

Did I say that?

Did you insult someone personally on this board?

Did CW talk about that in a podcast?

• Agree
Reactions: clone1990

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
  • Good shot selection.
  • Knows what they are supposed to do in situations (facing the press, running inbounds plays, defending inbounds plays, end of half plays, etc).

In short, they know what they are supposed to be doing, and they do it most of the time.

This does not mean they block every shot, never foul, make every shot, get every rebound, and never turn the ball over. Sometimes the other guy gets is just as well-coached, and/or is quicker, taller, jumps higher, or just beats you to where you are going. UNI is well-coached imho, but they would have a tall order to beat Kansas or Baylor. Talent matters, and getting talent is part of a coach's responsibility too. But a well-coached team plays above their natural talent level, not below it.

150 pages of BS about Fred, FAMU, a 16 beating a 1, the Big12 tourney win, Fred's guys, transfers, discipline issues, lineups, UAB, McDermott, and all the rest.... it's all Red Herrings. Distractions.

At times in his tenure, but it seemed to have taken about 2/3 of the season for that to happen.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Hello Mr. glass half empty........I'm glass half full. You see two "resets" I see one...last year. Because last seasons "overall success" to me resets the board. You cannot blame him for the bad but not the good. The 17-18 season does not erase last year, it's the other way around. Unless of course you just want to get rid of him. But then there is this.........

You went from "at least troubling" to "not acceptable" in just a few days. Why is that? And I think a more relevant question to your relevant question is why the heck did you even ask that? Have we started a "missing" steak yet? If this season continues on it's current pace then our streak of not making the tourney will be ..............................one in a row. Is that "not acceptable" to you, or just "at least troubling"? Because there is a huge difference.

I indicated that even the most ardent optimists (i.e. you) had to find it troubling. I find missing two out of three years unacceptable when the context is we aren’t even close to the bubble. It’s one thing to miss the tournament when you are 17-14 or 18-13. It’s another when you are 12-19, 13-18 or 14-17.
Hopefully they get some wins down the stretch to alleviate some of the pressure. Next year is going to a pressure cooker for CSP. Best case scenario is still having CSP get better and turn this thing around.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
  • Good shot selection.

Would be interested to see what CYEATHAWK’s response is to this?

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
WVU is beating Big 12 teams at home by an average score of 77.2-56 (a 21.2 point margin). They beat ISU 76-61 (a 15 point margin) last night. They are a really tough team, especially at home. They are in the top 15 for Pete's sake.
These are good points, but WV was barely more interested than we were last night. They absolutely coasted to a 15 point win. Huggins didn't even have to raise his voice once.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Another game, another double digit loss. It's the new norm around here.

As I've said before, it's not just the losing, it's looking like we don't belong on the same floor as the other team. We can't even be competitive.
Define "competitive". The only games that got out of hand in the first half were Kansas and West Virginia. Every other game I'd say we were at least competitive in. Our margin of loss isn't any different than a bad P5 team should expect. We generally win or lose close games to other bad teams. We also lose some close games to good teams and lose others by 10-20 points. Seems pretty standard for bad teams.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney and isu83

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
  • Good shot selection.

Yes

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Jock sniffer.

I think you need to formulate that around sports bras.

At times, yes.

They looked very good and well-coached late in the 2016-2017 season.

They looked the same early last year and during the Big 12 tournament.

Heck, there were even stretches where the 2017-2018 team looked as you described, but they were so limited on talent and depth it did not matter.

This team has never looked well-coached, however.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and CyBobby

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I'll be curious to see what changes SP makes in the offseason. He is going need to make changes to the coaching staff and somehow build a team that is competitive next year. In the interviews, Steve already looks aged and tired. I'm sure its a combination of his young kids at home and the job.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I can't argue that even when things have been good with Steve here, the team has never looked well coached. Burton's senior season is somewhat of a counter to this because that team had me believing they were going to make a deep run playing defense like they were at the end. I love Steve but it's very true, we have never been a well oiled machine in his tenure.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
These are good points, but WV was barely more interested than we were last night. They absolutely coasted to a 15 point win. Huggins didn't even have to raise his voice once.

When Huggins doesn't even bother to get angry and send his guys out to steamroll someone, it's gotta be bad.
Last night's WVU effort would have led to some epic video clips of Huggins and his motivational tactics if we mattered.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'll be curious to see what changes SP makes in the offseason. He is going need to make changes to the coaching staff and somehow build a team that is competitive next year. In the interviews, Steve already looks aged and tired. I'm sure its a combination of his young kids at home and the job.

If it's that, he needs to quit. Scores of his fans have jobs and kids. Life goes on, and you're still expected to excel at your job.
Heck, I have three jobs and a family, and life goes right on.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
WVU is beating Big 12 teams at home by an average score of 77.2-56 (a 21.2 point margin). They beat ISU 76-61 (a 15 point margin) last night. They are a really tough team, especially at home. They are in the top 15 for Pete's sake.

Did you watch the game? We were down 24 with 4 minutes to go when WVU hung it up. They shot 6-22 from 3 pt range and only made 50% of their free throws. It could and probably should been worse. West Virginia is a very tough team in Morgantown. Heck their 4–14 squad beat up last year by double digits there. It is interesting how quickly a great coach can turn his team from 4-14 to a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament without multiple resets.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If it's that, he needs to quit. Scores of his fans have jobs and kids. Life goes on, and you're still expected to excel at your job.
Heck, I have three jobs and a family, and life goes right on.

I was talking to a WVU fan last night. He told me he ran into one of their upperclassmen (and I forgot his name) when the player was a freshman at a football game.

He got to talking to the young man during October of his freshman year. He asked the player what he thought of Huggins, and all the player said back was --

"He's tough."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron