What I learned from one roller coaster of a week

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Can't wait for tomorrow Chris. Haven't listened to the radio since they took you and Ross off. Happy for you and Ross.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
It would be interesting to learn more about your emotions, thoughts on your next steps, and how the rehires came to happen sometime soon. This is such a crazy, yet cool, story which you don’t see happen very often in the corporate world.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Glad cooler heads prevailed and thankful for local radio!

Curious if any of the 6 fired already had offers elsewhere and considered not returning.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Curious if any of the 6 fired already had offers elsewhere and considered not returning.
I hope they are able to be honest about their thoughts and not have to be so corporate like Miller and TC had to do.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

Or at least what stage of processing you got too. From being heartbroken to coming to terms with it. I think it would be hard for me if I had come to accept what happened to being offered my job back. I suppose it is different in that this was such a team dynamic.

Similarly, do you feel pressure to stay since there was so much demand to get the position back. I don't think any of these 6 should feel any obligation to stay, but they probably feel some obligation to the public.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Or at least what stage of processing you got too. From being heartbroken to coming to terms with it. I think it would be hard for me if I had come to accept what happened to being offered my job back. I suppose it is different in that this was such a team dynamic.

Similarly, do you feel pressure to stay since there was so much demand to get the position back. I don't think any of these 6 should feel any obligation to stay, but they probably feel some obligation to the public.

I have nothing to hide. I was already considering 2-3 other opportunities that were presented to me the day this all went down. First and foremost, CF is has always been my "day job" and priority/how I feed my family.

I won't speak for the others, but I considered not coming back and did not accept the offer right away.

But for how this all went down, I felt like I owed it to our audience to give it another run. And, I really love working with Ross. Going to FM was huge for me and as I will tell you guys about in coming weeks, the management there gave me some great reasons to come back too that will really enhance time with family, which was critical for me. Those two little girls of my absolutely own my heart.

At the end of the day, I really love my boss there, Joel McCrea, like a work dad. I trust him. He didn't want to fire me the other day. His hands were tied. I knew that. The public spoke up, his hands became untied and he came back to us and admitted to making a mistake. I actually really respect how it played out.

But yeah, the stages were crazy. I was finally moving on and then the offer to come back came and left me very confused for a while.

I'm excited to get back. Appreciate all of your support.

Last edited:

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I have nothing to hide. I was already considering 2-3 other opportunities that were presented to me the day this all went down. First and foremost, CF is has always been my "day job" and priority/how I feed my family.

I won't speak for the others, but I considered not coming back and did not accept the offer right away.

But for how this all went down, I felt like I owed it to our audience to give it another run. And, I really love working with Ross. Going to FM was huge for me and as I will tell you guys about in coming weeks, the management there gave me some great reasons to come back too that will really enhance time with family, which was critical for me. Those two little girls of my absolutely own my heart.

At the end of the day, I really love my boss there, Joel McCrea, like a work dad. I trust him. He didn't want to fire me the other day. His hands were tied. I knew that. The public spoke up, his hands became untied and he came back to us and admitted to making a mistake. I actually really respect how it played out.

But yeah, the stages were crazy. I was finally moving on and then the offer to come back came and left me very confused for a while.

Good on you for weighing the options and knowing what’s important for you and your family. It had to have been hard to keep a level head in the whirlwind of those few days.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I haven’t been following this very closely, but what show do I need to add to my podcast library to listen to the new show?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks. You do a great job. Relationships. Pretty much sums up Cyclone Nation.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Glad you like where things landed. Long live the @ChrisMWilliams media empire.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Glad you guys (and the rest) are back. Between the radio, and the CF Podcasts, I feel like you know you like family. Almost to a creepy point. Almost. :D

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I went through the same fire/rehire scenario on three separate occassions. However, to be honest, I knew their ignorance in firing me would quickly come back to haunt them as I had a unique technological advantage which they simply could not fill. Furthermore, I make it a life practice to quantify in dollars the value I provide to my employer. And, with that, how far ahead they are because of me. The person who fired me, was quickly dismissed themself which brought about my rehire.
We live in a capitalistic society where the majority of management has no clue what they're doing. I have 50 years of employment under my belt. So, I'm saying this with balanced judgement. I've worked (and invested) in more companies which have gone under because of horrible management than I'd like to admit. Of course, my investment research now includes a solid background search of key management. All this history aside, the absolute most important things to solid employment are: 1. relationships, 2. your individual marketability (ie ALWAYS job search and even test the water at times so you know what you're worth), 3 initiative to make your position more profitable (9-5ers are always subject to termination)
Though my writing might come off rather bravado, I like to think of myself as more humble. But a lifetime of learning should not go unpassed to younger generations.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

This one quote here says it all for me. "My hope that when you log onto Cyclone Fanatic every day, you feel like you are a part of a community – because you are."

When I joined CF in 2008 I never dreamed that by joining this site I would have developed the type of friendships and connections I've been lucky to attain. Most times message boards are people posting with other people that usually you can never put a face to a username. I've gotten to meet many of my fellow fanatics and several I consider close personal friends.

From random thoughts to cf pickup to the gameday thread regulars to my On That Note hosts and all the people that contribute to them. Honestly not sure what I've done to deserve such special people in my life.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The Fales and Murphy show doesn't have the same ring... Good call on that show name.

Also the stream sound quality seems better today. Not sure why an FM transmitter would make that different but it does sound a little different.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron