KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Why would they do that. That group fired most of the good local talent 5 years ago or so. None of the stations have been the same since. They changed them to a national blueprint and after they went broke again tried to make it the way it was before the change. The damage was already done.

For starters, their biggest competitor seemingly just bailed on local shows. That is wide open now without a competitor. It is a different environment today.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
For starters, their biggest competitor seemingly just bailed on local shows. That is wide open now without a competitor. It is a different environment today.

It is just crazy that Iheart would bail on local shows when they are popular in the market. They are going down the same road other media groups did a few years ago, that direction has shown not to work.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones423

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don’t know if this post is going to get the appreciation it deserves.

1021725_1.jpg

Reactions: Cy$

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It is just crazy that Iheart would bail on local shows when they are popular in the market. They are going down the same road other media groups did a few years ago, that direction has shown not to work.

The best hope I can have --

Somebody sees there is local talent to be had, local ears who want content on Iowa sports, news, and culture, and local advertisers who want access to that audience and have the money to support such an enterprise.

They see that niche, and they fill it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Still hearing Ross fishing commercials...awkward.

Also weird how it was basically a local show this afternoon like nothing happened.

Yeah while Ken Miller's show was on break today heard a "This is Heather from the Morning Rush" ad too that was awkward to hear. Bet that by tomorrow they have pulled any spots those people did with a new ad rotation. The big question I wonder is how many local advertisers did they lose today? Sean and Heather basically brought them Lady Jane's along with some other advertisers. Guessing no more testosterone ads Travis brought in too LOL. Bruno is buddies with both the morning and evening shows so wouldn't be surprised if the Full Court Press bars all pull ads too. iHeart may have just killed KXNO today because I would not be surprised if Murph and Andy call it quits and without quality local shows there really is no appeal for local advertisers now.

Big opportunity for a local station to pick up some great on-air talent and start up some new shows. Heather, Ross, and AD really are the only ones who didn't have other jobs outside of radio so even just those 3 teaming up for a morning or evening show on another station at some point would probably have a big following. I'd love for CW and Ross to find a new home because they were a great pairing and IMO the best show KXNO had but CW probably has so much on his plate with CF and the Cyclone Radio Network fill ins I wouldn't blame him for taking a break from talk radio to spend more time with his family.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Yeah while Ken Miller's show was on break today heard a "This is Heather from the Morning Rush" ad too that was awkward to hear. Bet that by tomorrow they have pulled any spots those people did with a new ad rotation. The big question I wonder is how many local advertisers did they lose today? Sean and Heather basically brought them Lady Jane's along with some other advertisers. Guessing no more testosterone ads Travis brought in too LOL. Bruno is buddies with both the morning and evening shows so wouldn't be surprised if the Full Court Press bars all pull ads too. iHeart may have just killed KXNO today because I would not be surprised if Murph and Andy call it quits and without quality local shows there really is no appeal for local advertisers now.

Big opportunity for a local station to pick up some great on-air talent and start up some new shows. Heather, Ross, and AD really are the only ones who didn't have other jobs outside of radio so even just those 3 teaming up for a morning or evening show on another station at some point would probably have a big following. I'd love for CW and Ross to find a new home because they were a great pairing and IMO the best show KXNO had but CW probably has so much on his plate with CF and the Cyclone Radio Network fill ins I wouldn't blame him for taking a break from talk radio to spend more time with his family.

Ross has been getting his stuff done to start selling real estate with Charter. Charter mentioned something today about maybe starting a podcast with Ross as well.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I bet Full Court/Bruno paid a lot of money over the years.
Wonder if Seneca pulls his ads.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Ross has been getting his stuff done to start selling real estate with Charter. Charter mentioned something today about maybe starting a podcast with Ross as well.

Ungh, I don't get the infatuation with Charter but whatever... seems like Ross has so much to offer beside selling real estate for that tool

• Agree
Reactions: tim_redd and Doc

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I laid down for a nap and woke up hoping all this was a bad dream. There aren't adequate words to describe how much this sucks.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Nothing against Emery (sp) but why was he retained vs. the show hosts? I like Emery don't get me wrong...has talent but just weird.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked