Steve Prohm

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Who do you think ISU should get?

Not arguing because I think Prohm may be gone after '21 at this rate.

I’m not really sure. JP essentially cuffed ISU to prohm with little reasoning, I’ll obsess over future coaches when it’s realistic. The prayers could of and may have very well coached themselves that first year. And I think any coaches recruiting would have been pretty good those following years with kids hoping to replace niang, Morris, or be the next break out Iowa state transfers. The available coaches will be completely different when the time comes.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I’m not really sure. JP essentially cuffed ISU to prohm with little reasoning, I’ll obsess over future coaches when it’s realistic. The prayers could of and may have very well coached themselves that first year. And I think any coaches recruiting would have been pretty good those following years with kids hoping to replace niang, Morris, or be the next break out Iowa state transfers. The available coaches will be completely different when the time comes.

I'd take issue with that characterization. Obviously Pollard's calling the shots but generally speaking, any time one of our coaches picks up a big win, talk immediately turns to making sure he stays long-term by giving him an extension and raise. I can't recall fans ever calling for restraint when it comes to contracts.

Like I said, Pollard may have given out these contracts regardless of fan pressure, but the fan pressure was there. We contribute to this.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Kenpom AdjD:

Fred:

2011:89
2012: 66
2013: 123
2014: 55
2015: 59

Average:78

Steve:

2016: 91
2017: 42
2018: 143
2019: 47
2020 as of now: 98

Average: 84

I'm not really seeing the massive improvement on defense people are always talking about. Is it just because the tempo is slower (dropping from being a top 10-20 tempo program) leading to less high scoring games? When fred left the program had defenses in the 50s, prohm had a couple years in the 40s but also 3 years that were up there if not worse than Hoiberg's worst- and the cupboard was a lot more bare when Hoiberg started.
And it was likely to get better imo, in the hypothetical case he was interested in staying. He was going to get better athletes as the ISU brand improved. There is nothing to support it wasn’t going to get better. Further, the lack of defense frequently overblown.

There are some delusional posters that downplay that run as a coping mechanism.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I'd take issue with that characterization. Obviously Pollard's calling the shots but generally speaking, any time one of our coaches picks up a big win, talk immediately turns to making sure he stays long-term by giving him an extension and raise. I can't recall fans ever calling for restraint when it comes to contracts.

Like I said, Pollard may have given out these contracts regardless of fan pressure, but the fan pressure was there. We contribute to this.

I can’t speak for everyone but I saw the extensions as CPR bad. Other people not seeing that the guy wasn’t coaching up players is not my problem. Like I already said before. Before it was obvious the extensions were understandable but after Fred’s guys left and the guy still didn’t have some thing that resembled an offense people should of been questioning them.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I hate it but the reality is, even if Prohm brings in great recruiting classes, we still know what we're getting. I get giving a guy time and not having a knee jerk reaction but here really isn't anything else to figure out about the guy. We know he can recruit but you can argue he underachieved every season here, so just having the best guys still puts a 2nd round kind of cap on what he can do here.

Fred had struggles early on here but figured a lot of it out, he just hadn't coached much. Prohm has the experience, he just doesn't seem to have the chops. The sad thing is, we really can't fire him without basically starting all over again, thanks to the bare cupboard he'd be leaving the next guy, that's even if there were no defections. No tourney this year would really get people talking about job security on the recruiting trail, the writing is on the wall, who would blame a recruit for having second thoughts when the coach you committed to is a dead man walking.
last years class was an abomination, and next years is really average to below average. The recruiting is even getting worse.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I can’t speak for everyone but I saw the extensions as CPR bad. Other people not seeing that the guy wasn’t coaching up players is not my problem. Like I already said before. Before it was obvious the extensions were understandable but after Fred’s guys left and the guy still didn’t have some thing that resembled an offense people should of been questioning them.
Ive never understood the extensions. When you constantly see his teams turn the ball over right after a timeout that's a clue. 2021 at this rate really needs to be his last year unless we see massive improvement because this will be a really brutal Big 12 year.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Ah, having a truly blinded view of a few years of basketball that weren't as good as many remember, and weren't likely going to get better since Fred didn't emphasize defense and we get shown basically every year that good defense makes actual deep runs in the tournament.

Dude.

I don't want Fred back, that ship has sailed. But the program was truly one player or a couple breaks away from Final Fours at least twice. They had serious shots at the conference title (not looking back) at least 3 times. They won conference tourneys as well.

So - "not as good as people remember?" Other than the 2 years under Larry, which ended in fire, when has ISU bball ever been better?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Dude.

I don't want Fred back, that ship has sailed. But the program was truly one player or a couple breaks away from Final Fours at least twice. They had serious shots at the conference title (not looking back) at least 3 times. They won conference tourneys as well.

So - "not as good as people remember?" Other than the 2 years under Larry, which ended in fire, when has ISU bball ever been better?

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Dude.

Again, not saying it wasn't fun then, and it's not a pro- Prohm stance. His days or years should be numbered.

Fred's teams were decent teams with decent results, very successful by ISU standards.

What two times were they close to a Final Four? The Niang foot year where a UNC injury likely evened things out? When else? Don't you have to win more than one game?

To assume ISU was so close to a Final Four isn't a whole lot different than looking at why it didn't happen. Like saying they were SO close to winning the conference, except they lost, so they didn't.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We have reached a dark point when we believe that TCU will beat us.

How many wins do you see in January?

@ TCU
vs. Kansas
vs. Oklahoma
@ Baylor
@ TTU
vs. OkSt
@ Auburn
vs. Baylor

I see 1 or 2. Pathetic.

2-6 is what I see, then when February hits they have back to back road trips to Morgantown and Austin, so 2-8 is very likely in that stretch.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Gee, I guess everyone forgot that we won the Big 12 tournament last year already. Clone fans acting like Hawk fans now, Wow!!

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt