I believe in CMC

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Are some of our fans really this big of morons? Fire Campbell? Who the hell else are we going to get? Campbell is by far the best coach we’ve ever had in the history of this university. The fans that think we’re freaking Alabama and can get some top tier coach need to get their head checked. I’m satisfied with this past season.

Have you ever heard of a "false flag"? It exists on sports boards as well as almost any internet forum where people can be manipulated to think there are mean boogie-people out there saying naughty words or using naughty hand gestures. Not a single real Cyclone fan is posturing as such with Coach Campbell.....some Hawkeye or Purple Kitty trolls, posers and imposters, probably.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I still believe in CMC. Im stoked for all that is returning in 2020. Should be a good team coming back. Already circling the KSU game where I'll be at "out for blood levels".

My percentage of belief in CMC will be even higher if ISU uses a play (QB sneak) that is statistically proven at every level of football to be a highly effective means of achieving the desired result of gaining 6 inches on 4th down.

Reactions: t-noah

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I still have no idea what the identity of CMC teams is. Game-to-game is a guessing game. The only consistent is the lack of discipline from TO's to false starts, back-breaking mistakes

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Lol. Next year was last year. Now you’re already crying about it. This fan base is becoming what I’ve always hated. Not fun. Not in tune to the sport. Not in tune to our own program. Not cognizant of history. STOP BEING HOK FANS.
This is what I've been saying. It's iron-clad, inescapable fact that half the teams lose every week. That's 50%. If by a great coaching hire, great fan support, etc. we can get over 50%, great. But , with the exception of a couple of non-conference games on our schedule, we are playing schools that have as much or more invested in their teams as we do. By what logic to we "deserve" to win more than those other schools? Don't Mike Gundy and Cowboy fans expect to have a good program? The elite schools as measured by resources available can win consistently, decade after decade. We have to be the Try Harder guys. Sometimes it's enough, sometimes it isn't. When we're over .500 and in the conversation for winning the conference, we should count our blessings.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBlock

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
CMC is the right man for the job

However -

UNI (shouldn’t have been that close)
Iowa (bad special teams)
Baylor (piss poor start)
Oklahoma State (throwing 100 times)
Texas (almost blew it)
Kansas (Let them play with us)
Kansas State (embarrassing)
Notre Dame (even more embarrassing)

All of these games you could point at poor coaching, whether CMC or elsewhere.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

However -

Iowa (bad special teams)
Baylor (piss poor start)
Texas (almost blew it)

I would agree you with you on some of those games, but we did defeat Texas, almost blowing it does not matter, we won. Kansas almost beat Texas in Austin. The others I would agree with.
This football season felt a lot like ISU in BB last year, we had the talent to win the title, but not sure if it was the chemistry or what, but the only time they jelled was during the Big 12 Championship in KC.

This team just had to many unforced errors, Purdy's fumble on the goal line vs Iowa, the pick 6 vs OSU, slow start at Baylor. How many times did we not catch an INT, that would have stopped a drive, how many 3rd and longs did this team give up?

Something happened after the Texas win, and we just mailed it in the against KU, KSU and ND. Learn from it and move on into the off season. Beats the hell out of a 3 or 4 win season.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm not saying we should fire Campbell, but the whole "we won't ever get anyone better" is the reason we had Rhoads for 3 years too long.

Yeah, definitely not in the 'fire campbell' camp (and anyone who is at this point would be a goddamn moron, imo), but if the time ever comes i won't be incredibly worried. Coaching hires are *always* gambles, but while part of why we're having success is due to having a solid coaching staff, another largepart is that we're finally at a place, as a program, where we're not a couple decades behind everyone else in facilities and program support from the administration, and Campbell is the first coach to really be able to take advantage of that.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is what I've been saying. It's iron-clad, inescapable fact that half the teams lose every week. That's 50%. If by a great coaching hire, great fan support, etc. we can get over 50%, great. But , with the exception of a couple of non-conference games on our schedule, we are playing schools that have as much or more invested in their teams as we do. By what logic to we "deserve" to win more than those other schools? Don't Mike Gundy and Cowboy fans expect to have a good program? The elite schools as measured by resources available can win consistently, decade after decade. We have to be the Try Harder guys. Sometimes it's enough, sometimes it isn't. When we're over .500 and in the conversation for winning the conference, we should count our blessings.

Yes. With what we have been and what we are every ISU fan should be ecstatic about going to a bowl game and absolutely creaming their pants at going to 3 straight bowl games. Now if we get to the point where we go to 10 straight bowl games and never experience a 9 or 10 win season in there then maybe some hand wringing could be in order.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
i cant believe people are actually questioning campbell.

its new years ppl not april fools.

Reactions: Cycsk

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I trust CMC too, but mostly because there's no way we can go out and get anyone better.

My biggest fear with him though is his stubbornness and his loyalty to his buddies.

We've been complaining about the same things for years, but year after year we don't have a QB sneak in the playbook, our special teams are trash, and we continue to lose games in the margins and details. It seems like CMC is too stubborn to change anything and just says we need to "trust the process".

It's like when CMC said after the game where we threw it over 60 times.... he said that is not Cyclone football and that it can't happen..... however, during the game he did nothing about it, and just allowed Manning to keep calling pass after pass after pass. After the game it's too late Matt.
I'm pretty sure they had the 3rd or 4th and short thing figured out better than most teams in the country just two years ago. ISU was 14 of 19 on 4th down.

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
I’m fine with Campbell. I want him at ISU. That being said I’m tired of all the hashtags and TOE and win in the margins bs. At some point just go ******* win the games. ISU lost 3 games they should not have this year. Iowa. KSU. Osu.

I can support a coach and want him at ISU and be critical of some of their decisions. People are too polarizing. “You’re either in or out”
no. I hate that ****. There’s grey area. This isn’t a nuclear crisis or a war. It’s college athletics.

Last edited by a moderator:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’m fine with Campbell. I want him at ISU. That being said I’m tired of all the hashtags and TOE and win in the margins bs. At some point just go ******* win the games. ISU lost 3 games they should not have this year. Iowa. KSU. Osu.

I can support a coach and want him at ISU and be critical of some of their decisions. People are too polarizing. “You’re either in or out”
no. I hate that ****. There’s grey area. This isn’t a nuclear crisis or a war. It’s college athletics.

If we're putting KSU and OSU in there Baylor should be included too.

Otherwise agree. The resurgence of the program and setting up for real confidence were great and one season can't lead to pitchforks. He'd have to dip down to actual bad like CPR's final 3 seasons for any firing talk to have merit.

That said slow Septembers and frail Novembers aren't going to get to the levels he talks about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

However -

Iowa (bad special teams)
Baylor (piss poor start)
Texas (almost blew it)

Nailed it. It is possible to appreciate and believe in Campbell and the direction of the program while also recognizing this season as a disappointment.

The "but we should be glad to win 7 games" crowd fails to take into account which 7 we won. We had to scratch and claw to beat UNI and Kansas. We beat very medicore WVU, TTU. Rival loss to Iowa, complete no-shows against K-State and Notre Dame. Sure we won 7 games, but it was far from convincing.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I, for one, also believe in CMC. Now, granted, I have never seen him close up. But I have heard others say they have. And through my binoculars while seated in the Sukup club, I am quite comfortable in stating that the guy in the black cap was really him. Sometimes you just gotta have faith, and I do. There really is a Coach Matt Campbell!

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Teams we played that made almost no errors all game- UNI, TOE, KSU, OSU, KU, ND. Why not ISU? Campbell's ideals are good: run based, good fundamentals, regional recruiting, player buy-in. He talks the talk, but doesnt walk the walk yet. We start out our season unprepared, fight our way to respectability, and then fall flat to end the season - like a sine wave of expections and realizations. We were ranked preseason, then stunk against UNI and TOE. Beat ULM. TCU, TTU, WV. Returned to rankings, then stunk against OSU. Fought on, beat KU and Texas, made CFB rankings, and then stunk against KSU and ND.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Yes. With what we have been and what we are every ISU fan should be ecstatic about going to a bowl game and absolutely creaming their pants at going to 3 straight bowl games. Now if we get to the point where we go to 10 straight bowl games and never experience a 9 or 10 win season in there then maybe some hand wringing could be in order.

I find this one a little hard to believe. There is starting to be at least rumblings of consternation among the typical lunatic fringe after 3 straight mid tier/lower bowl games after virtual depravity for 4 seasons. To think that there won’t be a growing vocal minority and media alike starting to join in, now that CMC’s guys are all in the system.

• Creative
Reactions: slipp71