I believe in CMC

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Read Stanz's column. CMC said essentially few plays here, few plays there were the difference. Well, how about a lot of plays. Total butt whooping. We lose to ND 9 out of 10 times. Saying that, CMC is the man leading us.

I haven’t seen the column, but IMO if we don’t turn the ball over the first two times we have it the outcome could be completely different. ND goes 3 and out 1st series we get the ball. We fumble, but hold them to 3. Iowa state is driving next series and then turn it over. Seems like after that the wheels fall off. Not saying the guys give up but in the back of their minds I guarantee they are thinking here we go again. It’s tough to overcome that especially when it seems like it’s happened all year.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy and cc1091

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Terribly disappointing but I really think we/ISU can do no better than Campbell. A significant step up from Rhoads and Chizek but we're/they're certainly not the world beaters we got drunk on kool-aid with in the summer/fall this year..

Enjoy the bowl game participation today as State will likely be done for the year after the regular season in 2020. No bowl game next year.

ISU should be in a bowl next year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I haven’t seen the column, but IMO if we don’t turn the ball over the first two times we have it the outcome could be completely different. ND goes 3 and out 1st series we get the ball. We fumble, but hold them to 3. Iowa state is driving next series and then turn it over. Seems like after that the wheels fall off. Not saying the guys give up but in the back of their minds I guarantee they are thinking here we go again. It’s tough to overcome that especially when it seems like it’s happened all year.

After the 2nd fumble it felt like the KSU game.

Which felt like ISU football of old. Perhaps that 'inner growth' model really didn't hold with this group. Which happens.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Anyone who wants a new coach must be a new fan that didn’t go through years of 1 or 2 wins and a random positive year of 7 wins, or delusional. Disappointing season? Sure, but give me a break if anyone thinks we can do better. If Campbell left he would be maybe the most sought after coach in the nation. Iowa state is on the map and for the first time I can remember, we’re disappointed in a 7 win season let alone jumping over multiple teams to get to camping world bowl to play a big named school. And most of the talent is coming back. We’re just reloading and developing. Don’t forget how soon into the process this is.

I will go on record...I am NOT disappointed in the season....could the bowl game have been better, sure but we played a ten win team and the defense only gave up 23 points, the first 10 points were caused by two fumbles that should never had happened.....(you can't give a great offense like ND a short field) Any Cyclone fan who is disappointed with a 7 win season is absolutely delusional. Around Ames,IA going to bowl games doesn't happen every year....So Thank You Coach Matt Campbell and your staff of great assistants....Forever True

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
giphy.gif

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Campbell is great, he’s really young and still learning, he will figure it out. Not worried about him. He knows the problems.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Terribly disappointing but I really think we/ISU can do no better than Campbell. A significant step up from Rhoads and Chizek but we're/they're certainly not the world beaters we got drunk on kool-aid with in the summer/fall this year..

Lol, "we"

Enjoy the bowl game participation today as State will likely be done for the year after the regular season in 2020. No bowl game next year.

This was the dead giveaway

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Really? What have you done to be entitled to a "good team"? What defines a good team? 8 wins? 9 wins? Are the fans of those 8 or 9 teams not deserving of a "good team"? Are all the children in your home town above average?

For Iowa State 8 wins is a great team based on history. I’ll take it every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But to get a special season you need to have a program that the typical season is 7-8 wins. The more you do that the odds are you will push to 10 wins sometime. Same with the NCAA tournament, if you are there most of the time then the ball will likely bounce right eventually. Can’t get to the final four if you are in the NIT if that makes sense.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Are some of our fans really this big of morons? Fire Campbell? Who the hell else are we going to get? Campbell is by far the best coach we’ve ever had in the history of this university. The fans that think we’re freaking Alabama and can get some top tier coach need to get their head checked. I’m satisfied with this past season.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
This coaching staff is facing a little adversity in the form of underperforming expectations in 2019. This is a prideful competitive group. I expect the frustrations of 2019 to focus them and motivate them (the staff) through the offseason. For whatever reason, there were just too many WTF moments in 2019. Fortunately, they have established a pretty good base of depth on the roster and they have a solid core of underclassmen coming back. The most puzzling part has been the O line and special team deficiencies. Progress should be made on both fronts in 2020. If not, I may start to get a little nervous.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
CMC can talk the talk, he wins in recruits living rooms, press conferences, meeting rooms etc...he's built a great culture but now he needs to prove the other side of that and start putting teams on the field that echo the things he says all off season.

We lost a lot coming in to the year and IMO were due for a step back as a program but other than ND, this year's losses didn't seem like they were due to a lack of talent. It was discipline and execution, I think CMC would tell you that's on the staff. Hopefully they can get a few things figured out because there is a lot of talent in the cupboard next year, honestly, the next few years. Let's hope this was a down year and its all up hill from here.

Special teams and play calling really need to be addressed, both were an issue in week 1 and never really improved throughout the season. That's about the only negative I'd have about CMC, he's still the guy who can get us to the next level .

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I trust CMC too, but mostly because there's no way we can go out and get anyone better.

My biggest fear with him though is his stubbornness and his loyalty to his buddies.

We've been complaining about the same things for years, but year after year we don't have a QB sneak in the playbook, our special teams are trash, and we continue to lose games in the margins and details. It seems like CMC is too stubborn to change anything and just says we need to "trust the process".

It's like when CMC said after the game where we threw it over 60 times.... he said that is not Cyclone football and that it can't happen..... however, during the game he did nothing about it, and just allowed Manning to keep calling pass after pass after pass. After the game it's too late Matt.

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: CyDude16 and Lineup

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Really? What have you done to be entitled to a "good team"? What defines a good team? 8 wins? 9 wins? Are the fans of those 8 or 9 teams not deserving of a "good team"? Are all the children in your home town above average?
I've got student loans and have invested thousands over the last 25 years in sporting events, and publicity, etc. Just pure loyalty alone this fan base deserves to enjoy some good fortune. Pollard would be the first to tell you the reason ISU is even where it is today is because of the fans. You're taking me the wrong way anyways. It's not that I expect perfection, I just expect a better effort than what we got this year. That is mostly on the coaches IMO.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Campbell has done a fantastic job at ISU, I do think the season was a disappointment, but that is because we have moved past the point of settling for 3 or 4 wins. We got 7, and it feels to me that we left 2 or 3 more wins out there.

But many teams take a step back, after reaching new heights, and that is what I think ISU did this year. Look at Purdue and Northwestern as two examples of schools that also took a step back this year. Whether that was because of injury or replacing players like Montgomery and Butler, that left a year early for the NFL.

Regroup, refocus, have an honest look at what worked and what did not, and make a major effort on cutting down turnovers on the offensive side of the ball, and taking it away on the defensive side. Figure out the special teams, and find someone that makes one cut and gets up the field.

Drill the little things into the players minds, protect the ball, play your gap and your responsibility, do your job. Do those things and we will be winning 8 to 9 games next year.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm not saying we should fire Campbell, but the whole "we won't ever get anyone better" is the reason we had Rhoads for 3 years too long.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron