Campustown Redevelopment

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Im curious if that is really the expectation. Because while i grew up in the suburbs i remember even when campustown was less dense 10-15 years ago when i was there i still expected to walk a block or two anytime i went down to welch. Though back then even that was a challenge some nights.

if you didnt walk home drunk from welch to west ames did you really even go to iowa state

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
if you didnt walk home drunk from welch to west ames did you really even go to iowa state

Did the Welch back to Frederickson Apts a few times. About 30 minutes to Welch and much longer back when directions get a little hazy. Also had to stop a buddy from thinking campus buildings were port-a-potties

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I think it would have done better on Duff, but a place like Freddy's seems to do fine in campustown. We'll go out of our way to eat there, because their product is really good. They might do better on Duff as well, but location wasn't fuzzys only problem
How does anything do well on Duff? It's so congested over there. The only way Duff is good is by comparison to the parking situation in Campustown.

Campustown needs a complete do-over.

• Agree
Reactions: istater7

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
How does anything do well on Duff? It's so congested over there. The only way Duff is good is by comparison to the parking situation in Campustown.

You said it yourself. Parking.

Ames is 66k people. 28k students on campus.

so there’s 38k Ames residents that when deciding where to spend $ on food or entertainment have to weigh whether they want to worry about off street, meter parking in Campustown or go to Duff and have a free parking lot 20 yards from the front door.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Wow, that says it all! The city puts up a large parking facility, but people don't even know about it. The name "intermodal" doesn't help.
Have you ever tried parking there? Most is permit only. I gave up the few times I wanted to park there and just hit a side street. And that was in the summer, good luck when school is actually in session.

• Informative
Reactions: Psyclone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Is the Intermodal Parking facility not free parking after 6pm or something like that? If its permit required all the time, that is a big fail.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You said it yourself. Parking.

Ames is 66k people. 28k students on campus.

so there’s 38k Ames residents that when deciding where to spend $ on food or entertainment have to weigh whether they want to worry about off street, meter parking in Campustown or go to Duff and have a free parking lot 20 yards from the front door.

Yep. Especially when you factor in that a huge portion of that is families, and nobody wants to drag young children blocks and blocks in 8 degree weather for tacos that are generally cold, and a bathroom that was always gross. These are legit issues when you have a five-year-old who wants to touch and climb on everything.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I have NO idea how smoking oak is still open. I don’t think they can give away pizza there. Must be a money laundering operation.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Yep. Especially when you factor in that a huge portion of that is families, and nobody wants to drag young children blocks and blocks in 8 degree weather for tacos that are generally cold, and a bathroom that was always gross. These are legit issues when you have a five-year-old who wants to touch and climb on everything.
Yepm try Which Which. I imagine I will just never go there with kids.

Reactions: Angie

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Campustown needs a complete do-over.

I'm with you. Not that my family does either a whole lot, but unless it's after 6 on Friday or Saturday we can usually grab a meter spot 3-4 blocks from about anything in campustown. Doesn't bother me as much as the congestion on Duff.