Narveson to Transfer

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Met Brayden at an amateur golf tournament this summer and have been friends with him ever since. As a type 1 diabetic myself, I always thought it was cool meeting someone else who also had it. He’s a really nice kid. I wish him nothing but the best going forward!
You should check out this cycling team. They started as an all diabetic pro team and I believe they still are.

https://www.teamnovonordisk.com/

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Kickers are absolutely critical. The conversation around Tom Brady as the goat is a lot different if they didn't have great kicking all those years. How many of those clutch game winning playoff and Super Bowl drives ended with a Viniterri kick vs a Brady TD pass. Miss a few of those clutch kicks and his entire career looks different.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Only 2-4 on fgs for the year and all were 40+ yarders. Staff must not have been too impressed with him in practice.
I think it comes down to personality sometimes. Campbell has a very specific coaching style and it's probably a little old school for some people. Not saying he couldn't hack it but if it's true he thought the job was his when he signed, then he doesn't understand the way Campbell runs his program. He probably could have stayed on and battled for next year, but saw the writing on the wall as Assalley finished the season fairly strong.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I think it comes down to personality sometimes. Campbell has a very specific coaching style and it's probably a little old school for some people. Not saying he couldn't hack it but if it's true he thought the job was his when he signed, then he doesn't understand the way Campbell runs his program. He probably could have stayed on and battled for next year, but saw the writing on the wall as Assalley finished the season fairly strong.

Really? Wall writing I agree with.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Still would like to have a guy that kicks it in the back of the endzone 80% of the time, like most teams. Kick coverage for most part was really good, just rather give up the 25 and not deal with chances of a return.
I guess Iowa State's kickers are dragging that stat down in a big way. This is from data collected in about the first half of the 2018 season.

Fair catches were made on just 11.2 percent of kickoffs in the Football Bowl Subdivision through games of Oct. 13 or approximately half the season. There were touchbacks in the end zone on 45 percent of kickoffs while 40.6 percent were returned (compared with 51 percent returned for the entire 2017 season). The remaining 3.2 percent of kickoffs were either out of bounds or onside attempts.

With over 60% of kicks returned or fair caught I don't think 80% of most teams' kicks are in the back of the end zone.

Source: https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/college-football-kickoff-fair-catches-rule

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Still would like to have a guy that kicks it in the back of the endzone 80% of the time, like most teams. Kick coverage for most part was really good, just rather give up the 25 and not deal with chances of a return.

We got really spoiled the last few years with Chris Francis kicking off, Most of his were in the end zone.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I guess Iowa State's kickers are dragging that stat down in a big way. This is from data collected in about the first half of the 2018 season.

With over 60% of kicks returned or fair caught I don't think 80% of most teams' kicks are in the back of the end zone.

Source: https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/college-football-kickoff-fair-catches-rule
From Big12Sports.com, for 2019

upload_2019-12-10_7-16-25.png

Adding a touchback/kickoff column:
WV 0.396
OSU 0.429
KU 0.278
OU 0.554
TCU 0.319
KSU 0.403
ISU 0.162
UT 0.595
BU 0.488