***Official ISU Bowl Predictions***

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
People thinking Phoenix are going to be disappointed. In order to go there we have to miss out on two NY6/playoff teams and be the last Big 12 team picked. It’s just not happening.

If Utah beats Oregon (or LSU loses to UGA or OSU loses to Wisky) and OU beats Baylor then OU would be the only Big 12 Team in the NY6. In order to get to Big 12 teams to the NY6 we either need:

OU to beat Baylor and make the playoffs
or
Baylor to beat OU and hope that OU still gets a NY6

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If both Oklahoma and Baylor are in NY6:

Alamo: Texas
Camping World: Kansas State
Texas: Oklahoma State
Liberty: Iowa State

If only Oklahoma is in NY6:

Alamo: Baylor
Camping World: Texas
Texas: Oklahoma State
Liberty: Kansas State
Cheez-It: Iowa State

I have a hard time seeing us somewhere other than Memphis or Phoenix. Cheez-It will definitely be against a mediocre Mountain West opponent (Nevada or Wyoming); Liberty is more of a wild card. Could be Kentucky, could be UCF, I saw one Toledo this morning.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If Utah beats Oregon (or LSU loses to UGA or OSU loses to Wisky) and OU beats Baylor then OU would be the only Big 12 Team in the NY6. In order to get to Big 12 teams to the NY6 we either need:

OU to beat Baylor and make the playoffs
or
Baylor to beat OU and hope that OU still gets a NY6
I think if OU wins they are a lock for the playoff. If Baylor wins OU isn’t falling out of the NY6. OU would be a Big12 champion whose only loss was on the road against an 8 win team. They aren’t getting left out.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think if OU wins they are a lock for the playoff. If Baylor wins OU isn’t falling out of the NY6. OU would be a Big12 champion whose only loss was on the road against an 8 win team. They aren’t getting left out.

Two ways Oklahoma gets left out with a win:

*Utah blows the doors off of Oregon and gets the last spot, or
*Georgia beats LSU close and they both get in.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Two ways Oklahoma gets left out with a win:

*Utah blows the doors off of Oregon and gets the last spot, or
*Georgia beats LSU close and they both get in.
I don’t think Utah gets in even if they blow out Oregon. Only possible way I see is the Georgia one but even then they shouldn’t.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
OU needed help most of those years too whereas there is no question ACC is getting in and SEC had two teams in and potentially get two in again. How does the B1G and Pac 12 feel about their nine game conference schedules?

9 game conference schedules are stupid if you are trying to make the playoffs each year. You can do it but there is usually a lot of sweating going on and hoping things fall your way.

It’s an interesting take. Didn’t the b10 go to a 9 game conference schedule, thinking it would help them; only to look to go back to 8?

• Winner
Reactions: twojman

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I understand what you are saying but Utah would make it before OU if they both win. There isn't much room for 2 big 12 teams in the NY6 if OU loses to Baylor or don't make the playoffs.

Assuming OU loses to Baylor and top all win:
CFP - OSU, Clemson, LSU and Utah
NY6:
Orange Bowl - VT vs Florida
Rose Bowl - Penn St/Wisconsin vs Oregon
Cotton Bowl - Memphis vs Bama
Sugar Bowl - Baylor vs UGA

A loss by OU would likely drop them behind Bama, and I think the Cotton Bow would take Bama as the At-large.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Liberty vs an SEC team is interesting.

When was the last time we even played an SEC team? The Yelk game?

Interesting to work backward through bowl opponents.

2018 - Washington State
2017 - Memphis
2012 - Tulsa
2011 - Rutgers
2009 - Minnesota
2005 - TCU
2004 - Miami (OH)
2002 - Boise State
2001 - Alabama
2000 - Pitt

So I think you’re right

• Informative
Reactions: PlanoClone

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
@jereseib You can dislike my post but it does not mean I am wrong. @cfbmatrix and @cfb_professor on twitter are good follows on how the committee works. They nail it every year. Feel free to give them a follow and hopefully you'll come around on 8 conference games. (8 conference games assumes you want the Big 12 to have the best chance of making the playoff)

It can make all the sense in the world, but its never going to happen.
You have a better chance at getting the retro cyclone logo back on the helmet then going back to 8 confrence games.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
All you have to do is look back to 2017 when we lost to both WVU and KSU, finished with the same record, and got selected for a bowl game before they did.
And in 2017 Cyclone fans were starved for a bowl game, with big wins over TCU and OU. Quite a bit different this year don’t you think?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
ESPN guys both have us in Memphis now:

AutoZone Liberty Bowl
Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, Memphis, Tennessee
Dec. 31, 3:45 p.m., ESPN

Bonagura: Iowa State vs. Cincinnati
Schlabach: Iowa State vs. SMU

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28168924/college-football-bowl-projections

If it ends up Cincy that would be their 3rd trip to Memphis in just over a month. I'm sure their team & fans would really be excited about that.

A competitive G5 opponent is not what I want. Either give us an SEC team or an automatic W. I’d rather play Nevada in the Cheez-It and be favored by 20+.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
A competitive G5 opponent is not what I want. Either give us an SEC team or an automatic W. I’d rather play Nevada in the Cheez-It and be favored by 20+.
Granted that some things are out of his control, I have to believe JP might be working some magic behind the scenes to advocate for us not to go back to Memphis.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I care because I treat the bowl game as a vacation. I honestly don't care about the opponent, I just want a good location. And to me Memphis is a **** hole and the weather sucks (see the last 2 times ISU was there). The only plus is the food. Phx is my hope because of the weather.

That’s fair. But that’s non-football related too. But to me, it’s not like Orlando, Phoenix, and Houston are must-see destinations either.