***Official ISU Bowl Predictions***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm just trying to come up with the best way to make the playoff for the Big 12 and the way I'd like to see the conference go is the best way for that to happen.

Did OU not make the CFP the last two years?

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Oklahoma is potentially going to the playoffs for the fourth year in a row. Going to an 8 game conference schedule for a 10 team conference is stupid.

OU needed help most of those years too whereas there is no question ACC is getting in and SEC had two teams in and potentially get two in again. How does the B1G and Pac 12 feel about their nine game conference schedules?

9 game conference schedules are stupid if you are trying to make the playoffs each year. You can do it but there is usually a lot of sweating going on and hoping things fall your way.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I see it as
Oklahoma - Sugar
Baylor - Alamo
Texas - Camping World
Oklahoma State - Texas Bowl
Iowa State - Liberty
Kansas State - Cheez it

• Agree
Reactions: CySmurf

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
OU needed help most of those years too whereas there is no question ACC is getting in and SEC had two teams in and potentially get two in again. How does the B1G and Pac 12 feel about their nine game conference schedules?

9 game conference schedules are stupid if you are trying to make the playoffs each year. You can do it but there is usually a lot of sweating going on and hoping things fall your way.

What years did they need help?

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Because I've been to the Liberty Bowl and it's a joke that this team is relegated to Memphis again. This program is so much better than that right now.
That's probably true...but the reality is we haven't played to that level most of the year. So, we get what we'll get. We have no room to complain if the Liberty Bowl invites us. Our team gets to practice for another month. Very valuable for players playing next year!

Last edited:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I see it as
Oklahoma - Sugar
Baylor - Alamo
Texas - Camping World
Oklahoma State - Texas Bowl
Iowa State - Liberty
Kansas State - Cheez it

If the first 3 are picked in that order, I bet the Texas bowl picks us over Okie Lite. We can jump OSU due to fan support/travelling and Pollard being a slick salesman. In that scenario I see Liberty picking K-State and OSU slipping to the Cheez it

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Tired of seeing the whiners in here about lack of quality wins. Schedules are made way in advance and with Iowa in non conf and a round robin big 12 schedule you have to schedule light in those other non conference games. Also ISU can't control how other big 12 teams do. At least this program is at a point that we do what we need to do in beating the teams beneath us. Our losses we were all competitive in and our worst game was a loss by 10 where the FG to make it 10 was late in the game.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
What years did they need help?

Big 12 left out 2014
2015 - fine
Big 12 left out 2016
2017 Thank you Iowa for beating Ohio St and Ohio St beating Wisky in Big 10 title game. Wisky fell from 3 to 6 after that loss. 2 SEC teams made it in 2017 thanks to 8 conference games.
2018 Thank you Alabama for beating Georgia in the SEC title game or there would have been 2 SEC teams again. Notre Dame also made it in 2018 with only 12 data points. I am not advocating to take away the Big 12 Championship, I just think it is dumb that the Big 12 gives itself a lower probability of making the playoff. As long as other conferences can get teams in by dodging others, the Big 12 should too.

• Funny
Reactions: IASTATE07

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Tired of seeing the whiners in here about lack of quality wins. Schedules are made way in advance and with Iowa in non conf and a round robin big 12 schedule you have to schedule light in those other non conference games. Also ISU can't control how other big 12 teams do. At least this program is at a point that we do what we need to do in beating the teams beneath us. Our losses we were all competitive in and our worst game was a loss by 10 where the FG to make it 10 was late in the game.

Quality wins, according to the playoff committee, is beating a team with >.500 record. Does not matter the name on the jersey. Beating a 7-5 Tulsa is a better win than beating a 6-6 Kansas State in the eyes of the committee.

Tulsa would be a quality win in that situation, K-State is not. Going to 8 conference games allows teams in the Big 12 to earn more quality wins because there are 5 less guaranteed losses for the conference. Guess what else that does? This allows teams to get top 25 wins because you can have a few teams at 8-4 or 9-3 which would end up ranked.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
ISU has the fans but will lower bowls think they are wavering with a disappointing end to the year?
My guess
Alamo-Baylor/Oklahoma loser
Camping-Texas
Texas-KState (based on season ending win over ISU)
Liberty-Okie State(haven’t had them lately)
Cheez-it- ISU
A lot of variables could come into play. Tbh I only feel confident on is the Alamo.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
ISU has the fans but will lower bowls think they are wavering with a disappointing end to the year?
My guess
Camping-Texas
Cheez-it- ISU
A lot of variables could come into play. Tbh I only feel confident on is the Alamo.

Okie St just beat Mizzou at the last Liberty Bowl.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I had a heck of a time at the Liberty Bowl two years ago and would go back in a second. Just like I did in San Antonio last year.

It’s a meaningless exhibition football game - some people put way too much emphasis on them.

I care because I treat the bowl game as a vacation. I honestly don't care about the opponent, I just want a good location. And to me Memphis is a **** hole and the weather sucks (see the last 2 times ISU was there). The only plus is the food. Phx is my hope because of the weather.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
@jereseib You can dislike my post but it does not mean I am wrong. @cfbmatrix and @cfb_professor on twitter are good follows on how the committee works. They nail it every year. Feel free to give them a follow and hopefully you'll come around on 8 conference games. (8 conference games assumes you want the Big 12 to have the best chance of making the playoff)

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
My guess
Camping-Texas
Cheez-it- ISU

Hate to break it to you but Okie State was just in Liberty Bowl last year.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
People thinking Phoenix are going to be disappointed. In order to go there we have to miss out on two NY6/playoff teams and be the last Big 12 team picked. It’s just not happening.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Big 12 left out 2014
2015 - fine
Big 12 left out 2016
2017 Thank you Iowa for beating Ohio St and Ohio St beating Wisky in Big 10 title game. Wisky fell from 3 to 6 after that loss. 2 SEC teams made it in 2017 thanks to 8 conference games.
2018 Thank you Alabama for beating Georgia in the SEC title game or there would have been 2 SEC teams again. Notre Dame also made it in 2018 with only 12 data points. I am not advocating to take away the Big 12 Championship, I just think it is dumb that the Big 12 gives itself a lower probability of making the playoff. As long as other conferences can get teams in by dodging others, the Big 12 should too.

So basically the season played out before the final decisions were made.