Football Season Postmortem

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
They’re going a bowl game and won 7 games including Texas. I will NEVER not love a season with that accomplishment.

Go to Memphis and win.

As big of a Campbell homer as I am, this is the kind of mindset we have to get over as a fanbase.

The next step for our program is a Big 12 Championship game. To accomplish that, beating Texas is almost a must, not just an accomplishment.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Having a new O-Line next year could be a good thing.

The real issue is losing Marcel Spears. He was the reason Joel could even be on the field.
Spears and Lima being gone really sucks. Spears for why you said(although Lanning did get good enough to be out there eventually, at first it was rough though) and Lima because he's a really big reason as to why our current defense works as it is.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

The real issue is losing Marcel Spears. He was the reason Joel could even be on the field.

I’m real scared the line might be even worse next year. Losing Spears hurts but it seemed like he didn’t have the greatest year compared to what he did in the past. Enyi had a really disappointing season as well.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
As big of a Campbell homer as I am, this is the kind of mindset we have to get over as a fanbase.

The next step for our program is a Big 12 Championship game. To accomplish that, beating Texas is almost a must, not just an accomplishment.

Hell, I think Campbell understands that too.

This is the guy who said that 6-6 teams are ********. He knows 7-5 is only a little better. A program that is satisfied with 7-5 is doomed to struggle to reach even that.

I doubt there's anyone more unhappy with the way we missed this many opportunities than Matt Campbell. Will be interesting to see how that affects things this off-season

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

I agree. It’s going to suck losing the veterans on the line, but Meeker has proved to be a penalty flag waiting to happen every play it seems like. Our young linemen are studs on paper, so it’s going to be nice to see them get their shot finally!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

As fans our mindset doesn't really matter at all.

Fans looking at our history and knowing that going to 3 bowl games in a row is extremely rare, should be able to say that in SOME ways the season was a success.

I also think we need to realize that it is not like Campbell is on the plane tonight thinking to himself that he sure is happy to get to 7-5.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
May be best for bowl game purposes, I think we might have a better chance to win a matchup of 7-5 teams than to go against Notre Dame or someone similar.
Before this game I was saying "bring on Notre Dame."

After this game, I'm wondering if the team just wants to hit the reset button, heal up, and get to spring ball.

Reactions: isufanz1

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I’m real scared the line might be even worse next year. Losing Spears hurts but it seemed like he didn’t have the greatest year compared to what he did in the past. Enyi had a really disappointing season as well.
Bailey got a medical right?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, and in no way am trying to bash Purdy, but I thought Manning/Campbell did a pretty poor job of letting him do what he does best and use his feet at a lot of points this year. I get that he's the guy, but that's what made him so dynamic last year. I doubt it gets changed next year much unfortunately

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
A step backwards. This was the year to get things done and it didn't happen.

Did Not Prove It.
Don't know if it was a step back or just one of those years. I know if's and butt's make candy and nuts, before tonight if you had changed the outcome of all the close games i.e. one to three points......we would have been playing for the conference title. Lose to UNI....beat Iowa, non-con a wash. Beat Baylor...beat OU...lose to Texas. We would have been 8-3/6-2 going into tonight. Maybe then things turn out different tonight, I don't know. I just think it was one of those years. Could CMC and Co. done things different to make things better....sure. But in my time 7-5 and being competitive in EVERY game would have earned you a statue in front of the Jack. So while I'm frustrated things didn't turn out like they could have.......I have still enjoyed this season and will the bowl game.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, and in no way am trying to bash Purdy, but I thought Manning/Campbell did a pretty poor job of letting him do what he does best and use his feet at a lot of points this year. I get that he's the guy, but that's what made him so dynamic last year. I doubt it gets changed next year much unfortunately

On one hand I agree. On the other hand we got through a regular season with just one starting qb for the first time in like 15 years so if they were just trying to protect him I can understand it

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
As a long time football fan and also a very old coach I just have never seen negativity help any program so I refuse to take a bite. Did you guys/gals see the most recent Toledo score...ouch.
What happened to the Rockets this year?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Here's the thing. Dig around and you'll find plenty of people ******** about how much they let Purdy run early in the season. We can't even be consistent with our ********.

I suspect they didn't want Purdy to run much this year because that makes it more likely he gets hurt. We just finished a season with only 1 starting QB for then entire season for the first time since one of Arnaud's years, I think.