NFL: the Getting assaulted with your own helmet brawl

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
This is like one step short of the guy pulling out a gun on the field so he can score a touchdown in The Last Boy Scout.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I usually have the game on in the background, but last night I shut it off with a couple of minutes left. I wish I hadn't - looks wild.

Something must have happened prior...I just don't know what could cause such a reaction.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I usually have the game on in the background, but last night I shut it off with a couple of minutes left. I wish I hadn't - looks wild.

Something must have happened prior...I just don't know what could cause such a reaction.

Well, at one time, I think Garrett started the season with five sacks and five personal foul penalties. He is trying to take Vontaze Burfict's place in the league.

It was a borderline criminal act, but that won't go anywhere. His punishment already consists of 6 game suspension, Rudolph getting to call him out publicly as a coward, and national sports newscasters ripping him for the next week straight. He will never live this down.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Well, at one time, I think Garrett started the season with five sacks and five personal foul penalties. He is trying to take Vontaze Burfict's place in the league.

It was a borderline criminal act, but that won't go anywhere. His punishment already consists of 6 game suspension, Rudolph getting to call him out publicly as a coward, and national sports newscasters ripping him for the next week straight. He will never live this down.

There are some of those national sports newscasters who are ripping on Rudolph too for instigating it. I don't know much for details, but they're saying Rudolph tried to rip Garrett's helmet off first.

Edit: I just want to add that doesn't defend Garrett's actions at all.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
There are some of those national sports newscasters who are ripping on Rudolph too for instigating it. I don't know much for details, but they're saying Rudolph tried to rip Garrett's helmet off first.

It would have never happened in the first place if Garrett wasnt being a little ***** and pile drive him on the last play when the game was obviously over. Garrett started the whole thing.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I did not care for Garrett wrestling Rudolph to the ground on the last play. Game was over and completely unnecessary.

• Winner
Reactions: Peter

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Definitely doesn't defend Garrett using the helmet as a weapon, but Rudolph did grab Garrett's facemask first and was ripping at his head. Garrett kind of had a late hit after a pass play, but it was pretty gentle. Kind of fell down slowly with Rudolph and rolled him over. Then Rudolph threw a hissy fit and started yanking Garrett's facemask and then Garrett went ballistic and went way, way over the line.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
How is it possible that Ndamukong Suh didn't try this a long time ago?

Also, if I were to have guessed, I would have guessed that it would have been Baker Mayfield getting hit in the head with a helmet and not the opposing QB.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Rethinking my go to weapon for home defense. Had been thinking stuff like my old softball bat, or a golf club (Elin Woods inspired) or my dad's WWII carry, a vintage German 7.65mm but now thinking my ISU football helmet should be on the nightstand. Take one good swing and than maybe pop it on to protect against the retaliation assault.

isu helmet weapon.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Rethinking my go to weapon for home defense. Had been thinking stuff like my old softball bat, or a golf club (Elin Woods inspired) or my dad's WWII carry, a vintage German 7.65mm but now thinking my ISU football helmet should be on the nightstand. Take one good swing and than maybe pop it on to protect against the retaliation assault.

View attachment 68650

No need to bash em with the helmet, one look at that navy blue on it and they'll turn to stone.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
How was it a late hit? Everyone keeps repeating that. Garrett didn't start ****.

Play starts at 1:23. Garrett is touching him before he even releases the ball. He just finished the tackle like you're taught to do.

This is the new roughing the passer rule:

“When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.”

And now that I watch it again it’s a sack/tackle as stated in the rule book. Dumb response and probably ended up ruining his career.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Also Rudolph should be suspended for starting the whole thing by trying to rip off Garrett's helmet first.

Garrett might've went over the line but people clutching their pearls over this when this is a violent sport need to get off their high horse. Also saying they should be in jail? You don't want to open that can of worms. Any pitcher that beaned a baseball player on purpose should be in jail too then.

Indefinitely/6 games is also way too much. Suh got 2 games for literally stomping on a player. Rothlisberger got 4 games for raping someone. Ray Rice 2 games for beating his wife.

NFL is trash at coming up with appropriate penalties and this might be one of the worst on field incidents but this is a violent sport with violent guys and a fight broke out.

I'm ok with him being suspended the rest of the year but any longer is so dumb.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is the new roughing the passer rule:

“When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.”

He didn't land on him with any body weight though..... Not at all. He pulled Rudolph down on him...