Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I have a feeling that Harrison Barnes would have loved to be a Cyclone having grown up in Ames around the teams, his mom working at Iowa State and most of all his dad being a Cyclone legend. Be that as it may, it would have been very costly for him to follow his heart rather than his head at the time.

Like Barnes, Foster made a tough choice. Pretty big deal for a young kid and shows some maturity. I know his dad got a little heat on here but from X's comments, it seems like his family did a great job keeping him focused on what was important.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
As fatiguing as it is for coaches and fans, Xavier had to make a business decision at potentially the expense of disappointing many people he’s close with. Tough spot for an 18 year old.

Exactly this. He’s from Oskaloosa. He grew up looking up to hometown heroes like Tyler Sash, Jake Kerr, Steve Staggs, and others that all went to Iowa for athletics. The last guys that I know of that went to ISU for athletics were Aaron Scott for wrestling and Brett Dowd for football (later transferred to Central) in 2003. Oskaloosa is firmly Hawkeye territory.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
This is huge. It makes it easier to get over the disappointment of last weekend's losses. It makes it easier to forget about Harrison Barnes. It makes it easier to get through this MBB season which could be a challenging one.

I predict the Oskaloosa area will have a lot more interest in Cyclone MBB starting next season. Welcome aboard XF!

Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I really wasn't that concerned with what he was choosing and don't know enough about Iowa basketball to know how much it mattered...but I gotta admit that I felt pretty good about their fans likely scrambling for answers after someone didn't pick the place that they think the world revolves around.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
I saw Xavier walking in the concourse in Hilton just after halftime of the last game. I told people that he looked like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. I don't think he had made his decision yet. I believe that he was torn between disappointing those who had raised and supported him,

I feel Xavier was like the graduate who has to leave all of the known comforts of home to pursue a career several states away. Deep down the individual knows what the best/right decision is, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Welcome Xavier to the Cyclone family. You will not regret this decision. Work hard and become the best person you can be. If you do that, your basketball talents will take you far beyond your current dreams.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have a feeling that Harrison Barnes would have loved to be a Cyclone having grown up in Ames around the teams, his mom working at Iowa State and most of all his dad being a Cyclone legend. Be that as it may, it would have been very costly for him to follow his heart rather than his head at the time.

Yeah ultimately it was win win that he went elsewhere. Barnes staying might've helped the team just enough to keep McDermott from leaving town while he could, prolonging the McDermott era.

can't really blame him for choosing to go where he did, though he did handle the announcement poorly. Though I'll forgive an 18 year old for that.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
can't really blame him for choosing to go where he did, though he did handle the announcement poorly. Though I'll forgive an 18 year old for that.

disagree completely. Thought he did a great job and it was clear he just wanted it to be over. I think it was Murph today that said he wanted he wanted to just announce on social media but the school wanted a presser because they’ve gotten so many requests.

Big step for the young man and I’m very grateful for not only his trust in the staff but in the community of Ames. We owe him our respect and support.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Looks a bit more athletic than Conditt, I can see him playing the stretch 4 with Conditt at the 5.

The rim protection with Conditt at the five and Foster at the four will be absolutely ridiculous. Itll be really interesting to see how Prohm utilizes twin 7 footers.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Looks a bit more athletic than Conditt, I can see him playing the stretch 4 with Conditt at the 5.
I think the word for those two may prove to be “interchangeable”.

Er...assuming that Conditt doesn’t blow up enough this season to go pro.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
disagree completely. Thought he did a great job and it was clear he just wanted it to be over. I think it was Murph today that said he wanted he wanted to just announce on social media but the school wanted a presser because they’ve gotten so many requests.

Big step for the young man and I’m very grateful for not only his trust in the staff but in the community of Ames. We owe him our respect and support.
I think alarson was referring to how Barnes announced. Wasn’t that the Skype fiasco?

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Maybe my ears were clogged with fuzz from my hat after shoveling snow, but I thought I heard Xavier say one of the reasons he chose ISU was a connection with Tyrese. We are all assuming Tyrese leaves after this year (and I support him doing so if he is a first round pick).

However, what if Tyrese stays because he loves school, wants to potentially become a lottery pick, or want to play with Xavier? One can dream . . . .

PG: Tyrese, Jackson
SG: Bolton, Grill
3-5: Xavier, Solo, Zion, Conditt (in no particular order)

That is a solid eight man rotation!

Indy here we come! ;)