STAFF PICKS: Xavier Foster

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
None of us have any idea where Xavier is going to go.

Yes, going to the IC game Friday night did not look good for ISU, but what kid wouldn't take a free pass to a college game? I think the only way it would have told us anything would have been that ISU and Iowa both were at home on the same night..........and he chose to go to one game over an other. My guess though is that Xavier is smart enough, and has kept his decision close enough to the vest that he would have stayed home and not gone to either game. I really hope he chooses ISU. No doubt one of his goals is to get to the NBA, and if you are comparing ISU and Iowa as to which school has had the most success in that in the last decade and with the current staffs, the choice is ISU, hands down. As far as style of play and how he might be utuilized by the two schools, I don't see that much difference between them, but maybe he does. What does bother me about this thread is those saying he is making a mistake (or stupid) if he goes to Iowa City. Why would any 'fan' make such a statement on a free public message board? THAT is what is stupid and idiotic. What if Xavier reads this board, or members of his family do? Is that really the message some of you want to send out before he makes his decision. We have no idea what these recruits look at before they make their choices or what might affect those decisions. But making derogatory comments about a recruit s that the recruit may see is beyond dumb.

I just cant understand why a high level recruit would want to go to iowa city and play 19 mins a game.

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
I believe the kids call it rent free.

hey at least if he gets in any trouble, he will never have to serve any punishment. You guys are always cool turning a blind eye to what your players do.
source.gif

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
Update: he'll be a Cyclone

I've been with @CyTwins this entire time saying that Xavier was going to be a Cyclone. I have some trusted sources that I use that do know a lot, however always told me that you truly never know what an 18 year old kid will decide in the end (which is very true). This decision by Xavier to not attend the game tonight sort of puts the nail in the coffin in my opinion. Barring anything absolutely crazy happening, Xavier Foster will be an Iowa State Cyclone next year, and that is absolutely awesome.

I bet I'm his source on that lol

I'm confused with what you mean. Someone said they would be following me for updates so I'm doing it as a joke and he will be a Cyclone

He loves Haliburton and doesn't like Fran's kids so I'm assuming that's made up
giphy.gif

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I just cant understand why a high level recruit would want to go to iowa city and play 19 mins a game.

My question, I guess, is what kind of player is he? I don’t mean skill set, I mean, when healthy, is he a top level talent?

and conversely, how does the reality of what his talent lever align with his families perceptions of his talent level?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This thread is going to be pure gold the next couple days. I have no sympathy for the cyclone trolls who turned this thread into a massive circle jerk over a kid who was never going to come here. I hope the Hawk fans come flooding in because you guys deserve it.

I think you are going to be disappointed.

I think the general fan would be like, "Meh, disappointing, and good luck to him in Iowa City (and he will need that badly there), but onto the next one."

I think the insiders are going to be like, "We were fed bad information. It happens."

It is probably going to be more Hawk trolls and self-hating Iowa State fans trying to gloat and the rest of us just not really caring all that much.

I do sales for a living. You lose big fish all the time. Learning your lessons from it quick and then forgetting about it is the name of the game. Don't let wins go to your head, don't let losses go to your heart. That is true in basketball and in life in general.

When we lost Isaiah Stokes to Florida, I was mildly disappointed but moved on pretty quickly. I will imagine we will all do so here, as well. Same sort of idea... a big man we thought could be a nice piece for us. If we were going down to the wire with, say, for instance, NC State with a kid like this and we lost, we would not care that much.

Just like many things in our society and politics, this issue is getting blown out of proportion as a part of the online culture war raging between Iowa State and Iowa. We cannot deal with the larger issues directly to one another, so like the U.S. and Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War, we find all sorts of proxy battles to serve as substitutes for the more general existential battle that could get us all vaporized in an instant.

The actual matter at hand is not that significant of one, however.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
So basically we've gone from "110%" to "10%" in two days.... following recruiting is a pain.

Reminds me of the THT announcement. It was all Iowa St, then all Illinois, before flipping back to Iowa St. I guess we'll see how this ends up. Either way, I'm at the point I really don't care now.

Good post!

They are very similar and different. They’re similar in both kids, “I say kids because THT is suiting up for the Lakers tonight at age 18,” know they have the physical tools to play at the highest level.

The differences are THT and his Mom had very very experienced people in their corner with THT’s best post college interest. People that have been in his shoes and gone on to be career NBA players. People that have nothing to prove or gain.

Thankfully for THT and his development, he and his mom were taught and came to understand the NBA is way more of a brutal mental grind than a physical grind

They understood that getting him out of his comfort zone a little AND with a staff that they trusted in would way better prepare him for a foundation mentally for the NBA mental grind instead of short term “balling”out with his buddies where everybody wanted him to go.

By the way, THT is with the Lakers at age 18 tonight playing the Raptors with Matt Thomas. The game is in LA later tonight if interested.

So basically we've gone from "110%" to "10%" in two days.... following recruiting is a pain.

Reactions: isutrevman

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I think you are going to be disappointed.

I think the general fan would be like, "Meh, disappointing, and good luck to him in Iowa City (and he will need that badly there), but onto the next one."

I think the insiders are going to be like, "We were fed bad information. It happens."

It is probably going to be more Hawk trolls and self-hating Iowa State fans trying to gloat and the rest of us just not really caring all that much.

I do sales for a living. You lose big fish all the time. Learning your lessons from it quick and then forgetting about it is the name of the game. Don't let wins go to your head, don't let losses go to your heart. That is true in basketball and in life in general.

When we lost Isaiah Stokes to Florida, I was mildly disappointed but moved on pretty quickly. I will imagine we will all do so here, as well. Same sort of idea... a big man we thought could be a nice piece for us. If we were going down to the wire with, say, for instance, NC State with a kid like this and we lost, we would not care that much.

Just like many things in our society and politics, this issue is getting blown out of proportion as a part of the online culture war raging between Iowa State and Iowa. We cannot deal with the larger issues directly to one another, so like the U.S. and Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War, we find all sorts of proxy battles to serve as substitutes for the more general existential battle that could get us all vaporized in an instant.

The actual matter at hand is not that significant of one, however.

I agree that if XF does pick Iowa, most of the general ISU fans will be slightly disappointed but will be able to move on just fine.

I picture CyTwins like Brick Top from the movie Snatch: “If I throw a dog a bone, I don’t want to know if it tastes good or not”.

Most of what we’ll hear will just be hok trolls doing what they do best.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I agree that if XF does pick Iowa, most of the general ISU fans will be slightly disappointed but will be able to move on just fine.

I picture CyTwins like Brick Top from the movie Snatch: “If I throw a dog a bone, I don’t want to know if it tastes good or not”.

Hawk trolls are like abusive spouses.

They'll always find something to demean and belittle you with.

Even if 20 years from now Foster has his jersey hanging in Hilton, they'll still be going.

• Agree
Reactions: bsaltyman

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Nothing against twins, because he is a good poster, at least on the football and basketball boards, but the hok trolls, and all their board are going to eat this up ten folds because it was twins that was so confident he was coming to iowa st.

This is as much of a win over twins, as it is over iowa st for them.

Hindsight being 20/20, as a troll twins, you should have just called him to Iowa. No lose situation there. However, I do appreciate you sharing info, even if it wasn't correct this time.

Reactions: CyTwins