RECRUITING: Xavier Foster recaps official visit to Iowa State

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Why is everyone so sure he's going to ISU?
It's been posted in this thread before, but many people are optimistic because of the state of the two programs. Iowa State has a laid back coach, an arena that is one of the best in all of college basketball, has had plenty of recent success, and has a plethora of guys in the NBA. Tie in the fact that his girlfriend is a cheerleader at Iowa State, and you have some pretty good reasons to go there.

Iowa on the other hand has a ticking time bomb as a coach, shows a ton of nepotism, has a tough time filling their arena, hasn't had much recent success, has one single guy in the NBA, and has a program that plays second fiddle to football big time. There are tons of Iowa fans that flat out do not care about Iowa basketball and are up front and open about it.

The choice is pretty clear in regards to what school is going to get more national exposure / give you a higher chance of making the NBA. However he still is a kid and I'm sure this is a tough decision for him. Whatever school he chooses, I hope he makes the choice he truly wants.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
View attachment 67847

Hoks do it "the right way."

FYI. The reason you set a date is so that you can plan for the celebration and have friends an family schedule to be there. It's not a superficial "look at me" moment; it's a celebration for all the hardwork.

This thread on HR is a good read.

What does "not the ISU type" mean? Not white?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Does "ISU type" mean "actually good at basketball"?
Yeah I think he means that ISU has had guys with heart, passion, fire, and swagger.. And most of those guys are currently in the league making a great living. Also what is Iowa doing that is the "right way"? I believe Fran McCaffery has some of the most ejections in all of college basketball and he almost assaulted a referee after a loss by 30 last year.. He also got his play-by-play announcer suspended once for questioning his recruiting tactics and then indefinitely suspended for making an analogy. Lol

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Yeah I think he means that ISU has had guys with heart, passion, fire, and swagger.. And most of those guys are currently in the league making a great living. Also what is Iowa doing that is the "right way"? I believe Fran McCaffery has some of the most ejections in all of college basketball and he almost assaulted a referee after a loss by 30 last year.. He also got his play-by-play announcer suspended once for questioning his recruiting tactics and then indefinitely suspended for making an analogy. Lol
I agree.That HR poster has no friggin clue what he is talking about. Prohm is all about class and Mad Fran is just that - "Mad" (as in crazy). Even some of his players, Pencilhead, Jorbo and the Entitled One are "thugs" and classless - taking after their coach/dad. My guess is that the poster is equating players from the state of Iowa as full of class and doing things the right way & players from out of state = thugs. That is why I contend that Fran's offering of the Murray twins is "playing to the fan base" & if they lose XF to us, it will absolutely be a HUGE gut-punch (especially since he has ties to the U of I).

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
I don’t know Xavier and I haven’t really been following his recruitment until the last few weeks. Take it for what it is but both he and his dad continue to “like” all things Iowa on Twitter. So, since I’m late to the party, I personally feel like he’s not coming to ISU. I think a few things Iowa is selling to him are “if you’re good enough to be in the NBA it doesn’t matter where you play” “he’d be “the man” in IC whereas in Ames that may not be the case” (although I see this as a positive, meaning you’re playing with other real talented dudes).

people on here have mentioned his GF going to ISU or his GFs sister just signed to play sports at ISU..none of that matters.

I think the choice is pretty clean cut tho and I realize I’m probably a little biased, but one school consistently competes for conference championships, consistently makes it to the big dance and has had great recent success putting guys in the NBA, the other program will be NIT for the foreseeable future after this year and I truly believe Fran will be fired by 2022

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree.That HR poster has no friggin clue what he is talking about. Prohm is all about class and Mad Fran is just that - "Mad" (as in crazy). Even some of his players, Pencilhead, Jorbo and the Entitled One are "thugs" and classless - taking after their coach/dad. My guess is that the poster is equating players from the state of Iowa as full of class and doing things the right way & players from out of state = thugs. That is why I contend that Fran's offering of the Murray twins is "playing to the fan base" & if they lose XF to us, it will absolutely be a HUGE gut-punch (especially since he has ties to the U of I).
There are plenty of guys on their team that are very entitled and frankly very salty. I know for a fact some of their players are mad they never got an offer from Iowa State and it gets under their skin big time. That's why you see JBo tweeting about Iowa State losing on the same night his own team loses.

And yes, this is the textbook guy that thinks all of Iowa State players are thugs, and probably because of the color of their skin.. which is sad. He probably thought Georges and Naz were thugs, when they are some of the most down to earth people in the world.

Also, I completely agree that the offers to the Murray twins were playing to the fan base. Iowa was in a hole in regards to their recruiting.. They were not getting any commitments from notable guys, so they signed two in-state legacy recruits. It's a PR stunt and nothing more. Those guys will rarely see time at Iowa, however will take up two spots that actually could've gone to other players.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I don’t know Xavier and I haven’t really been following his recruitment until the last few weeks. Take it for what it is but both he and his dad continue to “like” all things Iowa on Twitter. So, since I’m late to the party, I personally feel like he’s not coming to ISU. I think a few things Iowa is selling to him are “if you’re good enough to be in the NBA it doesn’t matter where you play” “he’d be “the man” in IC whereas in Ames that may not be the case” (although I see this as a positive, meaning you’re playing with other real talented dudes).

people on here have mentioned his GF going to ISU or his GFs sister just signed to play sports at ISU..none of that matters.

I think the choice is pretty clean cut tho and I realize I’m probably a little biased, but one school consistently competes for conference championships, consistently makes it to the big dance and has had great recent success putting guys in the NBA, the other program will be NIT for the foreseeable future after this year and I truly believe Fran will be fired by 2022

Not that I agree with every detail you posted...but in general I feel the same way. I just can't figure out why he would string Iowa along like this if he has decided to attend Iowa State. There is nothing to gain from declaring Iowa among the final two schools if he isn't going to attend school there. I don't think it "helps" Iowa in any way to be included in the pursuit of XF if he has made up his mind. Sure XF may want some suspense as we near Nov 11 but at the same time it could create some hurt feelings. Maybe he doesn't care about that...I don't know. But I won't feel he is coming to Ames until he says it!

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Foster has been liking and quote tweeting every team that was in the running for him. He currently has an Iowa article about his visit as his "pinned tweet", however he had another article from Iowa State as a "pinned tweet" before he went on that visit. Him and his dad have not showed their hand really at all so I wouldn't look at his social media as any indication for where he is going.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not that I agree with every detail you posted...but in general I feel the same way. I just can't figure out why he would string Iowa along like this if he has decided to attend Iowa State. There is nothing to gain from declaring Iowa among the final two schools if he isn't going to attend school there. I don't think it "helps" Iowa in any way to be included in the pursuit of XF if he has made up his mind. Sure XF may want some suspense as we near Nov 11 but at the same time it could create some hurt feelings. Maybe he doesn't care about that...I don't know. But I won't feel he is coming to Ames until he says it!
I'm not saying I know either way, but there is something to be gained by waiting a few weeks to turn down either program. You take less grief from the jilted fan base during those weeks. I would think that the remainder of his senior year is going to be a little bit rougher because there are going to be a few of "that guy" who are going to constantly be at him about his decision; and not just at his school - he will get it every time he steps foot in an opponent's gym as well.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Honestly.......have you ever seen any of our basketball coaches do this to our players (Eustachy excluded) in recent history? I just can't fathom this kind of behavior...especially when Mad Fran knows the crowd, Dolphy and the broadcast cameras are watching his every move during a game!

I am certain XF is in for the good guys!

well, at least he doesn’t grab them by their face mask...

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

He could have chosen Iowa for all I know, but you do realize you reference Twitter likes as being a sign, then dismiss personal relationships? They both aren’t sufficiently informative, but seriously, a Twitter like is about as meaningless as it can get.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
He could have chosen Iowa for all I know, but you do realize you reference Twitter likes as being a sign, then dismiss personal relationships? They both aren’t sufficiently informative, but seriously, a Twitter like is about as meaningless as it can get.

well for everyone talking about his GF goes to ISU and this that and the other, he doesn’t post much about her (from the 5 seconds of looking at his page that I’ve done). I hope I’m wrong but I just find it too telling that both he and his dad are liking everything Iowa, basketball and football. It’s not like the ISU football account hasn’t tweeted about any wins in the last 3 weeks they coulda thrown a “like” on. I think it means more than you’re giving it credit for

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
There is nothing to gain from declaring Iowa State among the final two schools if he isn't going to attend school there.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonepride

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
well, at least he doesn’t grab them by their face mask...
No but a few years ago he had a center who tried to grab opponents' facemasks.

adam-woodbury-of-iowa-poking-wisconsin-players-in-the-eye.gif

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
upload_2019-10-25_8-44-11.png

The great @Cydkar with an excellent effort to rile up Hoks.

Dudley Blackwell is a top 100-125 recruit. I'll add this point to since the Hoks use this all the time as a moral victory: Dudley was getting looked at by a lot of other top schools. However, its not like he was getting looked at by Northwestern. He was getting look at by Florida and other top tier programs. He's on Huntington Prep for crying out loud; They don't just take anyone.

Btw, no chance Theo Johnson chooses the Hoks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron