JTS Improvements - Want More

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I think the press box suites can provide better views than SEZ
The entire west side has suites in it already though between decks so unlike other stadiums where all their suites are in the sky box, requiring a huge sky box, ISU doesn't necessarily need that because all our except for a few are between the decks.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I would guess the first time every recruit Iowa State brings in sees it there aren't any people. Probably not a lot of recruits are going other places because of the faded seats though. Still, it would look a lot better empty if they put backs on all the benches and repainted.
I dont think those benches are painted though, not sure paint would stand up and you would have a maintenance nightmare.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Hills are staying- can't stop that w/o replacing the AD.. The opportunity to use the Jacobson Building to our advantage is here. Make the NEZ hills rounded to match the grade of the SEZ prior to covering the ground with seats. Next, terrace the Jacobson Bldg second level back to match the terrain. Band seats in front, suites and glass and then suites and glass on second level. Use that glass to retain noise. Add the balcony seats to the NEZ to match the SEZ. That added 5,800 seats to the SEZ. Given the narrowing of JTS at the north, this is likely done with less seats than the SEZ-say we add 5,300 seats approx. That is good because the hillsides will likely lose about 1,000 potential seats in the grade change. Now, you have added 4,800 new seats total plus a couple hundred more in suites in the Jacobson Bldg suites. 5,000 seats added.

Next, add an Arrowhead Stadium style two level press tower that looks taller than it is due to lights being on top. Keep elevators from current press tower and add two more elevator shafts on the ends at the NW and SW corners.

Lastly, get rid of the freaking prairie grass on the west side so I am not attacked by insects at our next game. Rod iron fencing and get rid of the cattle panels. Landscape the stadium grounds similar to the Wells Fargo campus in WDM. Looks like a golf course on the outside as if we are a school that actually cares about football

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Really? I think their north end zone looks like it doesn’t belong. It is awkward and some of the sight lines would be horrible. That stadium is like a puzzle that doesn’t fit together
Ya really! And our building does belong. Ok

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I agree that they are quite faded, but most college stadiums have bleacher seats, and most are just as faded.

Are the bleacher seats really faded? When I go to our seats and look at them as I'm standing and looking down at them I do not notice them being faded. The problem is any seat with a back stands out from all of the pictures and makes those seats appear to be much brighter. The complaints about the faded seats are that needing to change are ridiculous.

@UNIGuy4Cy go ahead post the pictures of the stadium that you see every week on Twitter to post it in this thread so we can see all see how terrible it looks.......since it occurs so frequently.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Hills are staying- can't stop that w/o replacing the AD.. The opportunity to use the Jacobson Building to our advantage is here. Make the NEZ hills rounded to match the grade of the SEZ prior to covering the ground with seats. Next, terrace the Jacobson Bldg second level back to match the terrain. Band seats in front, suites and glass and then suites and glass on second level. Use that glass to retain noise. Add the balcony seats to the NEZ to match the SEZ. That added 5,800 seats to the SEZ. Given the narrowing of JTS at the north, this is likely done with less seats than the SEZ-say we add 5,300 seats approx. That is good because the hillsides will likely lose about 1,000 potential seats in the grade change. Now, you have added 4,800 new seats total plus a couple hundred more in suites in the Jacobson Bldg suites. 5,000 seats added.

Next, add an Arrowhead Stadium style two level press tower that looks taller than it is due to lights being on top. Keep elevators from current press tower and add two more elevator shafts on the ends at the NW and SW corners.

Lastly, get rid of the freaking prairie grass on the west side so I am not attacked by insects at our next game. Rod iron fencing and get rid of the cattle panels. Landscape the stadium grounds similar to the Wells Fargo campus in WDM. Looks like a golf course on the outside as if we are a school that actually cares about football

Good ideas except for the prairie grass, respectfully. I LOVED seeing the prairie grass and small patch of prairie restoration. For one, it is very unique and speaks to our shared heritage in this state. I don't know of any other schools that have prairie grass planted within stadium confines. If there are, there aren't many. That sets us apart. Second, it provides habitat for pollinators like butterflies and bees. I loved seeing a butterfly flitting on some flowers when I was walking in to the game last week. Pretty cool. Nearly 98% of the original prairie that covered Iowa prior to white settlers is gone, so preserving a little slice of habitat where there is so much mowed and grass everywhere else around the stadium is really cool in my opinion. Third, I suppose it's a marginal benefit that they don't have to expend the fuel and effort on mowing with the prairie grass. Not that our AD needs to skimp on costs too much these days!

I enjoyed your other ideas though. Lots of cool things going on at Jack Trice these days.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
NEZ expansion and west side press box expansion are the next major items to check off the list.

I'm super pumped to see the stadium Saturday, I haven't been to a game in the stadium in 5 years. I haven't seen the new SEZ yet!

bigbert41

Jan 29, 2015
I heard a rumor a while ago that CMC wants to go "UP" with the next expansion. To make the stands taller and JTS more intimidating.
So I see a few possibilities:
  1. Expand the Sky Box, while it is sufficient for our press needs, and because we have suites located in other areas it is not exactly needed. But Club sections are needed, I believe there is a waiting list for them right now. So they could move all suites here and turn existing suite locations to club sections, or add a new club section in the sky box like some places have, plus upgraded suites and Press facilities. This would make the entire west side taller and more intimidating.
  2. North End Zone, I think this is an obvious location. I see this happening at some point, and probably adding a Kids Zone somewhere in that location to make up for the loss of the Hills.
  3. A 3rd Deck on the East Side While this is a big undertaking, going "UP" is definitely an idea. And I thought somewhere sometime it was said that JTS was designed or had foundations built for possibly adding a 3rd deck someday. I never thought this was a possibility but with the "UP" rumor who knows.
  4. Sky Box on the East Side for suites and club section, instead of 3rd deck. High value seats to pay for themselves.
Some of these seem more far fetched than others but at this point who knows. With some of the rumors flying around. I feel like option 1 and 2 are most likely the next 2 things done to the stadium, but at this point its hard to say.

Right now I think we have demand for club seats, and student seating expansion. I think that is part of the problem if we were to sell another several thousand student tickets we would run out of other seating.

I guess it is nice to know that it sounds like we only have about a week until we will get at least some sort of an idea of what the future plan is. Until then we can all picture our dream JTS.

All this is music to my ears.

And yeah I'm not saying we need more of a "press box" but some sort of sky club where you move the suites to needs to be done. If you go up on that side with a skybox and up on the other side with more seats our stadium becomes a lot better looking and even louder without having to add an incredible amount of seats.

Reactions: FinalFourCy
Dec 17, 2018
Urbandale
Fill them with people and no one notices.
Except it looks really crappy in aerial shots of an otherwise beautiful stadium and field that are taken for promo material when the stadium is empty. Pink seats look tacky! I'm guessing you can't just paint anodized aluminum so would need to be replaced. So I imagine the expense outweighs the need to please those of us that it bothers.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron