CW - Steve Loney rumors...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He is most likely coaching the coaches, in other words lending his experience on handling certain situations (blocking techniques and adjustments). This sort of thing is mainly a planning thing, in other words he's watching film with the offensive staff and lending his wisdom. He is most likely not on the headset giving advice during the game but more giving it directly to the sideline coaches if he sees something.

You can have as many consultants as you are willing to pay. You watch some of these games every week and they show the coaches box and it's packed full of coaches and consultants.

THANK YOU!!!!! If kudos are still a thing - you can have one.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Loney retired from the Cowboys a few years ago and moved back to central Iowa to be near his family. Campbell has an open arm policy to former players and coaches. He also greatly respect's Loney and his extensive resume, specifically with what he's done in the NFL. He is not on the staff in any official capacity and does not actually coach players, but is often a guy Matt will go to for advice on X's and O's matters. That's the gist of it, based off of what I know.

This was all I was looking for. In my OP I glibly used "suck" and failed to alert anyone to my sarcasm. Don't waste your time looking at my past posts, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool sunshine pumper for CMC and staff. I also think it's interesting how wide the nets are cast to make this program shine.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm a conspiracy theory guy, but is it possible that Loney showed up in Waco at about 4:00 last Saturday?
vauEUgn.gif

4 cyclones

Jul 25, 2016
Has Loney offered any assistance on LB play when they are playing the Spy? We are not very good at that. Poor angles, a step late, getting blocked, engaging blocks, etc.....i get it, they make a lot of plays, but they really have 1 objective. That said Mcelvain and brewer were tuff outs.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
There's quantity, which any fool can provide, and then there's quality.
Bump and Edit to include stats:

@cyrocksmypants shows with 57,234 posts and 44,964 "positives" for a percentage of positives to total of 78.56%--very impressive. He is a quality poster.

@SCyclone has a total of 6,466 posts and 8,540 "positives" for a percentage of 132.08!! Pound-for-pound @SCyclone is statistically superior.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

@cyrocksmypants shows with 57,234 posts and 44,964 "positives" for a percentage of positives to total of 78.56%--very impressive. He is a quality poster.

@SCyclone has a total of 6,466 posts and 8,540 "positives" for a percentage of 132.08!! Pound-for-pound @SCyclone is statistically superior.

If I have 100 dollars and 95 of them are 1s, that’s a really good percentage. But I’d rather have 10,000 dollars with only 8000 1s.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

I'm flattered, Athos. But as a poster, I'm still relatively new....and I don't think I'm quite at Pants' level. At least not yet. Heck, I haven't even made a @cyclones500 "post of the month" yet!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Loney retired from the Cowboys a few years ago and moved back to central Iowa to be near his family. Campbell has an open arm policy to former players and coaches. He also greatly respect's Loney and his extensive resume, specifically with what he's done in the NFL. He is not on the staff in any official capacity and does not actually coach players, but is often a guy Matt will go to for advice on X's and O's matters. That's the gist of it, based off of what I know.
This is great!
Any coaching help from the Mac years, to help break this team from their offensive slump, I'm in favor of!

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Did he travel to Waco? Clearly the offense needs all the help they can get so I don't see any problems with having more experienced guys around. It makes me like Campbell more because he is at least willing to have these guys around and listen to them.

Yes he was there on the sideline.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Wasn’t there some who thought he was gonna be the HC someday like 20 years ago?

His name was mentioned both after McCarney as well as Cheez-whiz. As others have said, when he was on our staff we had zero problem running the football. Helluva coach. It never got to the point where people actually thought he was going to get hired, but many would have been ok with the hire, including myself.

It might not have worked out, but the problem wouldn't have been coaching.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Without doing much investigative journalism of my own, I would imagine the answer would look something like this:

"Coach Matt Campbell has brought on Steve Loney, a former offensive coordinator under Dan McCarney, in an advisory role with his primary duties being development of the offensive line. When reached for comment, Coach Campbell had the following to say: "I think very highly of Coach Loney, and when I learned he was available and willing to help us out I jumped on the opportunity. Coach Loney has been developing offensive lines for decades and his experience will help us immensely."

What else do you expect? Dig up that Coach Loney, after coaching, took up a second life as a Pentacostal minister in southern Louisiana? That he started his own dance academy for little girls? That he's quietly gaining support from within to overthrow Matt Campbell as head coach?

He's a guy on the sideline helping with our offensive line. That's the story.

Did you do your due journalism diligence and check his twitter account?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
In college there is a limit on the number of official coaches you can have. However, as @isufbcurt said, you can have as many "consultants" or "non-coach analysts" as you want. Those guys can do basically anything except instruct players. Bama has a bunch of them. For a while, it was a thing for coaches fired due to scandal to become a Bama football analyst for a few years and reemerge as a "blessed by Saban football god." Former USC coach Steve Sarkisian did it recently, and former Tennessee coach Butch Jones is doing it now.